Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 11:14 am    

Has this been posted before? Noel Boggs daughter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGDpRYFiZsg

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 12:35 pm    

Small world. I was looking at YouTube vids of Boggs yesterday at the came across this:

https://youtu.be/9RLMKNzE_G0

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 2:01 pm    

Lovely to see Danielle's pride in her dad's music and his quad. We here on the forum are familiar with his music and hold Noel as a well known icon. It's funny but sad to see outsiders viewing a quad Stringmaster for the first time with a cloud of ? marks floating over their heads. Wonder if she ever ended up selling the quad.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2022 7:29 pm    

She might have gotten that $50k if she had bundled the guitar with an original Pokemon card.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2022 10:42 pm    

I didn't quite get what she meant by all of Noel's guitars were one offs. This is clearly a production model. In fact Noel's promo pictures show him playing the earlier trapezoid pickup Custom model. She would do well to get that top neck working. Even then. 3500.00 would be a stretch. I hate to see her getting her hopes so high. Similar situation, a distant family member wanted me to appraise her deceased husband's Les Paul Junior. She had read where Les Paul Gibsons sometimes brought 50.000.00 or more. She tuned me out when I tried to tell her this was a Les Paul JUNIOR!

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2022 9:51 am    

This is not a production model I've ever seen. The first version production Stringmaster had a 26" scale, slider switches and lollipop tuners. These were dropped with the second version and the Stringmasters were made with either 24" or 22.5 scale, push button switches, a pickup blend, and Kluson tuners.

Here we have a 24" scale Stringmaster with slider switches and (if the appraiser is correct), and third pickup/bridge combination.

It really does appear to be what she says--a prototype for the next version Stringmaster.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2022 5:02 pm    

This Noel Boggs Steel Guitar belongs in The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.

Most younger players have no idea the influence that he had on other Steel Guitarists. Noel Boggs was the 8th Steel Guitarist to be inducted into "The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame." He was such a Pioneer of taking the Steel Guitar into other Musical Genres. Besides Country and Western Swing styles, he also played Pop, Jazz and Big Band songs popular of the day. He had influence on people like Speedy West, Reece Anderson, Buddy Emmons and so many others.

I used to listen to his Steel Guitar recordings or music a lot and occasionally still do. He passed away a few months before I started playing Pedal Steel Guitar 1974. RIP Steel Guitar Legend Noel Boggs!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2022 8:44 pm    

Terry Wood wrote:
This Noel Boggs Steel Guitar belongs in The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.

Maybe the HoF Board should make his daughter an offer then.

I have no reason to doubt Ms. Robertson's word, and maybe I’m missing it....but is there somehing about the guitar in the video that says “this is a one-of-a-kind steel guitar built by Leo Fender himself (doubt it) that was played by the great Noel Boggs (maybe)”?
I bet the one in this picture would get $50k.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 8:29 am    

Yes, that is a long scale model Stringmaster (early '50s) with the slider neck switches.
Erv

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 11:30 am    

People here seem to be underestimating Noel Boggs' role in the development of the Fender steel guitar. His input is all over them. For sure that long scale quad. Noel and Leo were very close. Leo was godfather to one of Noel's daughters. He was at the factory a lot helping with design and ideas. I'm not even sure why this is a question at this point.

Maybe the statement "Leo built it himself"? I don't know either, but with its mix of old and new components and that hybrid bridge/pickup combo, this had to be something Noel was working on and testing out with Leo and the crew at Fender.

If a Strat or Tele prototype showed up, people would be going bonkers on guitar forums. Here, this barely gets a shrug and a lot of skepticism. Which is one big reason the asking price is so outrageous. This ISN'T the equivalent Fender guitar, and people (with very few exceptions) don't really care about Stringmaster history, much less know who Noel Boggs was.