The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter 101R settings
Ron Thompson

Bridgeton, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2022 8:01 am    

Due to age I am transitioning to lighter gear. I have a Quilter 101R amp but can not find the tone I am looking for, hope I didn’t pick the wrong amp. If anyone using same amp what settings are you using. Are you using the reverb?

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 9:38 am    

I bought the model 101 (not 101R) when it first came out, impressed by the portability and power claims. It was compact and lightweight, but the "50 - 100 watts" claim was way off. I found that you get maybe 10 watts of clean power and the rest lies in the distortion range. It failed miserably on its first and only gig. I also could not find a really good sound using the amp models and confusing eq controls. At best it sounded ok. I tried a friends Quilter Aviator and again it sounded ok but did not impress me.

That being said, I see other Quilter amps showing up on stages with musicians I admire and respect, like Jeremy Wakefield and Deke Dickerson.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 10:12 am    

P.M. sent.

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 10:30 am    

I don't have the reverb model so I can't speak to that, but for clean headroom you want the "Surf" setting. That voicing is the only one that purports up to 100 watts. I like it pretty well with Master all the way up, Tri-Q at about 7 o clock, Hi-Cut about 2 0clock and gain to taste. But that's through a 2x10 open back cab so of course, YMMV.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 4:05 pm    

101 and 101R are same size, but totally different control layout. I used my 101R on Friday night with GFI Expo, single 12" speaker in a lightweight cab. It was a duo in small bar, with a singer who played Martin D-18. Settings.....

gain 3, limiter 0, bass 5, mid 0, treble 5, reverb 8, master 10 and higher (out of 50)

That may not be helpful at all, but it's real data Smile

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 4:33 pm    

Tim, I have used the 101 on “surf”setting with. 12” or 15” speaker with a fairly loud band and gotten plenty of clean headroom with a Fender Stringmaster and Dual Professional. I used an Aviator 8 in a loud Bro Country band with a GFI S-12 Universal. I was direct into the board but with the two guitar players using a small Marshal and 15” Bassman boutique clone and a drummer who hit as hard as John Bonham. The sound guy said I was balanced but he hardly had me in the PA.
There’s gotta be something wrong with how you had that amp set or it is defective.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 6:14 pm    

I agree w K Maul. I use the 101 as my main amp for gigs. Have used it for all types of gigs from duo to a full band. I use the Surf setting, which is the “Fender Blackface” tone setting. I dime the Master Vol always and use the gain to set the volume. I use a 12” 8ohm speaker and it’s always way more power than I would ever need. Super loud. I agree that the EQ is tricky and a little quirky. It took me a minute to figure it out but now after using on hundreds of gigs I can dial in the sound very quickly in any room. I use it for both steel and standard guitar. I’ve even used it as a bass amp and it did ok.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2022 7:32 am    

Since I have both the 101 and the 101R, let me offer this: It seems that the 101R is voiced with the "surf" setting only and the gain/EQ/reverb/master controls are laid out in a more traditional Fender/Peavey manner. The controls on the 101 are very different from that.

Suggestion for Ron: If you want a very clean sound, start with the master volume high and the gain very low. Don't use the limiter (compression) but plenty of reverb. Start with bass/mid/treble at 5 and begin by reducing the midrange control......

Ron Thompson

Bridgeton, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 7:17 am     101R settings

Thanks for the replies, they give me some settings to try and hopefully come up with a final result I’m satisfied with.