The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA refinishing project
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2022 11:16 am    

I admire your courage and tenacity for undertaking this project David. I'm not sure I have the patience and stick-to-it-iv-ness it takes to do what you guys have. Looking good.

FWIW the letters SS on Mark's MSA stand for Super Small.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2022 2:26 pm    

Thanks Jerry . I’m not sure it’s a blessing or a curse . I can’t seem to leave good enough alone . Thanks on the info. I knew that they were pretty much the same , but not sure on the differences.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2022 12:24 pm    

Starting the second changer now .

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 5:56 am    

This is fantastic Davo, great work and attention to detail.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2022 2:54 pm    

Thanks Larry! Time flies when you do what you love. Tonight I tackled a pick up surround (don’t know the right name). I can’t make it new again, but I try to clean everything up as best I can. I just do it by hand. No power tools. Just elbow grease.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2022 2:31 pm    

Tonight going to start the other set of key heads.

Mark Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 11:34 am     Msa Ss

Hi sorry it took me so long to reply. Here is a Front view of my rebuilt MSA Super Short. Sorry if the came through sideways, I haven’t quite figured out the pic upload here.
I took the guitar completely apart, I thought about refinishing but usually that just devalues things and it’s mostly brown now so
I left that. I replaced all the plastic washers and bushings, springs and put in stainless rods. New tuners as well. It plays great now, I’m just learning. I can work my way few a few songs but I will never be bored.
Best of luck with your project!
Mark

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 9:30 am    

Wow Mark !! You did a great job cleaning everything up. Thanks for the pics. Nice SS. If I had known I was going to be so busy with work , I would n`t have started this one. Now I got a last minute surgery for my right wrist (carpel tunnel) coming up on Wednesday so I know it will stay on my bench for at least another 4-6 weeks. Ah well , I`ll finish her one day. I hope.
Dave

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 9:08 am    

Well just got back from the printing shop and although I would have changed a couple of little details, I think it turned out pretty good. I just laid everything on just to look at her cause I can’t use my right hand as I had surgery on my wrist Wednesday. But I couldn’t help myself.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 11:09 am    

Well managed to get a little done with just one hand. I had big gouges on the pedal board that I couldn’t buff out . So I thought I’d get creative with a logo and some carbon fibre. I think it turned out ok .

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 12:05 pm    

Well here we go again with not leaving well enough alone. I was needing some spacers to go between fingers and decided to make some out of steel ( Home Depot spacers , not sure what metal) . I had read that it helps with the sustain not to have the plastic ones so I might make all of them.

The plastic one is in the middle. The 2 I have made are on the right. I still need to sand them more , but I think it will work. I have to drill the center because I can’t buy them all made up .

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 7:01 am    

Started the rodding today. Had to touch up already from a slip with the screwdriver. I almost cried when it happened. My wife came down when she heard me …….. she said it’s just underneath. Humm

You can see it in the second photo. I didn’t take a picture of it when it happened. Just after I touched it up . It had gone to bare wood. It was awful. I will have to be extra careful. I’m still healing the hand I had surgery on for carpal tunnel. Thank god it wasn’t on the face of the steel .

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2022 8:50 am    

Well I’m beyond thrilled!!! Finally finished my 77 MSA . I’m still getting the setup just right, but I’m close. Although there are a few little things I would do differently like placing the logo myself ( I tried moving it and varnish came off with it so I had to put a new one exactly at the same place) , I’m really proud of the job I did. I never thought it would measure up to my Linkon or Carter but I’m loving everything about her .

The few changes I did were metal washers between the fingers , brass gauged roller I had for the E9th neck . I canted the cranks a little to maybe help . Not sure if anything I did helped or not as I forgot to record a before and after. But I’m happy with the sound I’m getting. Action is pretty close to what I want.
Now I’m thinking of changing the E9th pickup on the Carter to warm it up . Anyways just thought I’d post a few pics and give credit to Reece and MSA. A big thanks to all of you who helped me out with your comments. I’ve said it before, this forum is great . Cheers