The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  G style or SX
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 4:35 pm    

I want an entry level lap. What is the better buy, SX or G style.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 9:55 pm    

You could also look at recording King's $200 new, around $130 used. I've played a bunch, none had serious problems but needed bridge/tuners screwed down better, reflow solder here and there, adjust pickup height, stuff like that.

John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 10:04 pm    

I'll second recording king. Never tried a g style, though I read some reviews. They seem pretty hit or miss.
I did have an older SX....kinda not so good...
I've had a few SX guitars..regular guitars (armpit guitars as opposed to lap guitars) that were pretty good. One I still have that is great for the price I paid..but their lap steel I bought left me a little disappointed.
Maybe the newer models are better.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2022 3:14 am    

I had an SX8 (sunburst version). Nice guitar, after properly wiring it (miswired from factory). As shipped sound is thin, low volume and tone control doesn't work correctly. I was going to send it back until I got into it and found the miswiring. For the price (new) it can't be beat. I had it tuned C6th with high G like Pedal Steel's.

Some complain of single coil pickup hum, so if that is an issue replace the P90 pickup with a humbucker.

Mike Christensen

Cook Minnesota
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2022 5:25 am     lap

If you are into doing these kinds of projects and like doing them fine. Tuners will be about 50.00, pickup 70-100. Spend a little more and get a Melbert. You wont regret it. Happy Trails

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2022 5:47 am    

I don't think you can necessarily go wrong with any of the choices mentioned here. Of the cheapies mentioned, I'd lean towards the SX as it has legs. With any cheapie, I expect at some point it will require upgraded parts or some such.

I do second the suggestion of at least considering a Melbert. My Standard 8 string is fantastic and requires nothing. I took it to Chicago Music Exchange and it sounded better than instruments costing many times as much.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2022 7:14 am    

I can't speak to the other suggestions but if you are willing to do simple upgrades the SX can be excellent. I bought my first one because it has a nice compact solid mahogany body, nice fretboard and came with a case and legs. My biggest gripe was the bridge/tailpiece that was immediately replaced with a Gibson style wrap around style that was a direct replacement. The original pickup was OK but I routed for a humbucker and dropped in a Bill Lawrence rail pickup. Now it's a beast. I bought a second one and dropped in two humbuckers.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2022 9:19 am    

Since many imports need most if not all of their cheap fittings replaced anyway, I would favor purchasing a vintage American carcass that one of the guitar cannibals has stripped of all saleable parts that can be applied to a Spanish guitar, and installing all new fittings. For about the same amount of $$$, why not play a vintage rebuild, rather than a new import constructed of the very cheapest materials available, and assembled by twelve year-old girls in some Asian sweatshop?

Some people will pay beaucoup bucks for a brand-new Fender or Gibson (or whatever) electric Spanish guitar that looks like it was chained to the back of a F-150 and dragged down a gravel road for twenty miles, and then marketed as a "relic." It's easy to make your own "relic" from an old lap steel body, all new electronics and fittings of your choice, and skip the step with the F-150.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2022 9:21 am    

Thanks for all the suggestions. My problem is (not really a problem) that my daughters gave me an Amazon gift card so I’m pretty well stuck to buying on Amazon.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2022 12:15 pm    

I settled on a Rogue RLS-1. It seemed to have more accessories than the others and easy to work on.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2022 9:34 am    

I recommend the 22.5” scale length conversion kit from GeorgeBoards. I modded a Rogue with that and dropped in a 920D Seymour Duncan loaded pickguard. I had planned to just keep it around for traveling but it actually sounds and plays surprisingly well!

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2022 8:50 am    

Late to the discussion. Sorry.
I would say avoid the Gstyle as they seem pretty random. I bought one off Amazon and though it sounds great, the nut was wrong (too low and not grooved deep enough) and the placement was off.
For $99 at the time it was a great knock around, but I had to make a new nut and learn to compensate for the note placement being a little off on the first few frets.

If you are willing to work on the details, it's a good sound, but a project.

Here is another post about somebody put on tdpri:
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-inexpensive-gstyle-lap-steel.1068684/

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2022 10:05 am    

Charlie Hansen wrote:
I settled on a Rogue RLS-1. It seemed to have more accessories than the others and easy to work on.

That's a fair choice. Legs and a nice bag at that price point is fantastic.

Rogue gets a bad rap but they generally have a comparatively good product at the price point and sometimes -as in their Hofner bad clone- they absolutely nail it.

John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2022 6:35 pm    

Rogue lap steels are a decent choice for an inexpensive steel. I've got a fair number of steels, but still keep my old Rogue that I've had for years.
I replaced the nut early on. And then replaced the pickup. Actually sounds pretty good.
I don't think I've used the legs more than 2 or 3 times. Just play it on my lap.
I did buy a George Boards kit to convert it to 22.5" scale, but decided to keep it like it is.
The scale is a little short, and you do loose a little sustain on the higher fret positions because of it; and intonation gets tricky; but I find that if I play it for an hour or so a few days; I get used to the scale and don't really notice the shorter scale.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2022 7:42 pm    

Thanks again for the replies. I just want something to fool around with while my PSG is 2200 miles away. If I find it relatively solid I’ll probably change the pickup and tuners. Thanks again.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2022 5:23 am    

Charlie Hansen wrote:
Thanks again for the replies. I just want something to fool around with while my PSG is 2200 miles away. If I find it relatively solid I’ll probably change the pickup and tuners. Thanks again.

If you're willing, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in reading your thoughts and observations once it arrives. I'm particularly interested in the quality of the bag and legs.

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2022 5:34 am    

My brother has a Rogue and I play it when I'm at his place. I have no gripes with it and I like that it has a decent gig bag that holds the steel and legs so it's easy to transport and very compact.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2022 5:47 am    

I would have gone with the 8 string SX (also available on Amazon) over the 6 string Rogue. 8 string, to me, fits better as a fill in for pedal steel (C6th).

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2022 7:51 am    

Charlie Hansen wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. My problem is (not really a problem) that my daughters gave me an Amazon gift card so I’m pretty well stuck to buying on Amazon.

Then buy the SX Lap 8 Nat.... I bought one in 2018 and have not had any problems. It plays nice and has good Timbre and tone. I believe it is around $200.
Sam

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 5:22 am    

The Rogue is Musician's Friend stupid deal of the day. $79.99

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=210190

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 7:47 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
The Rogue is Musician's Friend stupid deal of the day. $79.99

And by the time you invest another couple hundred clams (or more) in a Georgeboards conversion kit, a quality pickup, functional tuners, and upgrade the electronics, you'll still have an Asian import you may be able to unload for $79.99 (if you're fortunate).

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 1:49 pm    

$79.99 was the original cost a few years ago.
A friend of mine is using one now and it sounds like $79.99 next to my Mullen RP SD-10.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

John Viterito

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 6:28 am    

Charlie....I don't know if you've bought yet, but I just checked Amazon (since you want to use your daughter's gift card) and they have an Eastwood lap steel there for $499. It's a reissue (Supro, I believe) but a real nice guitar for the money, maybe the best you can get for $500 or less. Good luck with your playing.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 6:59 am    

Karl Paulsen wrote:
Charlie Hansen wrote:

If you're willing, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in reading your thoughts and observations once it arrives. I'm particularly interested in the quality of the bag and legs.

Well, the Rogue has arrived and here are my thoughts. The strings are garbage and have been replaced. The pickup, although only about 5.5 ohms, is weak but doesn’t sound too bad. The tuners will have to be replaced in time. As far as the pickup is concerned it isn’t a problem because I have 1/2 doz, tele pickups in my junk drawer. The stand is more useful than I thought it would be. Although I bought it from Amazon it came from Musician’s Friend and after a bit of haggling I got it for the stupid deal of the day price of 79.99. All in all, for the money I’m pleased. Thanks for all your replies and interest.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 8:22 am    

Thanks for that.
Makes it even more tempting than before at that price.