52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Topic:  Which 15
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 2:11 pm    

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of restoring another Peavey amp: a 1975 Session 400. I picked this amp up for a song a few days ago. (I will be posting this "restoration story" later...)

Here's my issue. The JBL that's in it works, but I think it might be too weak for this amp and may be blown. I could hear some slight voice coil rubbing when gently pushing the cone from behind; not too bad when gently pushing the front of the cone. I still have to do more definitive testing on this speaker. Assuming it needs reconed, is it worth the expense? I'm on the fence on this one. Oh yeah, does anyone know what takes off the ugly glue stuff on the speaker frame? What works well?

Here are some other options I have to replace this speaker. Of the following options, which would match up better to the Session 400 and give it the best resale value? (Note: I already have these speaker in inventory negating making another purchase. The only exception being the PV 1502 w/ aluminum dust cap which I have under consideration.)

1: SICA 15" (4 ohm)
2. EVM 15B (8 ohm)
3. Peavey 1502 (8 ohm w/ aluminum dust cap)
4. GD Walker spec 15" JBL (Stereo Steel/E-130 cone/4-ohm)
5. Altec 421-8H II (8 ohm)
6. Peavey Spider Web 1501 (4 ohm)

Any and all thoughts about this are welcomed. Please vote your choice. Which speaker shown above would YOU like to see in this amp if you were going to play it or buy it?

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 16 Jan 2022 7:02 pm; edited 8 times in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 2:28 pm    

#6. 1501 Spider Web would be my choice and probably best match for that era Session 400.

#3 as a second provided it is an aluminum dome early era model. The only issue besides that would the the 8 ohm impedance.

The later 1502s were a totally different speaker with a paper cap and could have been used in either instruments or PA applications.

I have no experience with any of the other models except a JBL D130 which is a great speaker with original cone but they are really delicate and there are no original recone kits available.

Also, I would consider the 418 Altec that Dave Higginbotham has for sale in the classifieds provided the power rating is compatible with the Session.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 2:54 pm    

Sica or EPS-15C. Or Telonics.

Who needs the hernia.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 3:41 pm    

Thanks for the bump, Jerry! The Altec 418B is a great sounding speaker that is on par with the vintage JBL D & K series.

Of those speakers you’ve listed, the recones by Walker would be my choice. They sound great and are rated for 300 watts. That being said, don’t count out the original speaker that you have even if you’re getting a bit of noise pushing it by hand. It doesn’t necessarily mean the voice coil is going to give you a problem, although not rated for 200 watts. I’ve had several do the same but sounded fine playing through them and never gave me any trouble. The pressure you’re exerting has a different affect than the normal movement while playing. When these speakers sit the same way over years the voice coil can actually develop a slight warp and turning the speaker 180 degrees some times will fix the issue. Tone wise the EV’s are great, too!
Dave 🙂

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 7:55 pm     Which 15

Thanks Jerry, Ken, and Dave for your input. I will take this under consideration.

Ken: I was hoping to get by with some speakers I already have. However, the Peavey 1502 is a possible purchase. Thanks!

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 10:32 pm    

I like the SICA 15s, but they're hard to come by anymore. I think the JBL E-130 is a really good sounding speaker, but they're a heavy lift! I can't imagine having one in my Twin, but I use them as extension speakers. I have a K-130 that I use some..I think it's a little 'brighter' than the others I've mentioned.
So many speakers, so few gigs. Rolling Eyes

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2022 4:58 pm     SIca

Dave,

I have a Sica in another amp (Artist 240) that came with the EVM 15B when I bought it. I was going to maybe pull the Sica and put in the Session 400.

My research has revealed the Session 400s (to some) are middy and high-end sounding. I don't know since I never played one before. However, that is soon to change!

Thanks for responding.

Don

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 8:22 am    

Telonics

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 10:05 am    

I have always liked the Weber California 15 for steel.

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 10:19 am    

1501-4; label irrelevant.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2022 7:55 pm    

Hmm...a lot of love for the 1501 Spider Web speaker. I think I will go this route.

Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2022 2:47 pm    

Peavy.

BTW: the only way to get rid of that crap it to scrape it off. Just be prepared to replace it. Your choice of material will make a big difference.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2022 9:47 am    

The Black Widow was designed for the 400 because it kept blowing the JBL. I would go Black Widow.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2022 1:44 pm     Speaker

Put the Eminence TT 15 in it! You can also install an Eminence EPS 15 C in it. Both are great speakers!