The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chalker on The Wilburn Brothers Show-Awesome
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2021 9:08 pm    

https://youtu.be/8MRk2os2PJs

Curly not only is in the mix, but he leads it. I only post one of several episodes.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2021 9:53 pm    

thanks for sharing, hadn't seen this one yet. the entire show is a tribute to Faron Young, recorded April 13, 1974. uploaded by Jason Wilburn, nephew of Doyle & Ted

Curly is on fire, hot in the mix, and even plays a little C6 at the end of the show Cool

more great C6 here: https://youtu.be/i2Eg6aiIGUg?t=825

Last edited by scott murray on 27 Dec 2021 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2021 10:08 pm    

That's great. Thanks!

Faron looks like they had to drag him off the golf course to film his tribute!! Laughing

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 6:06 am    

Is that tape on the chrome strips of Curley’s steel? Perhaps to control glare from the studio lights? Or is it just the film clip?

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 10:30 am    

Sounds like "Four In The Morning" was using a prerecorded track, with all the string sections, etc...

I've always been curious. Does anyone know..... how did that work on those TV shows? Did the artist carry around the tracks on tape for these performances, were they sent by someone prior to the show, or what.....? Today you could bring a CD or thumb drive, or just a link to a cloud location, but then tape was the only way. Maybe some experienced TV people can chime in with some info.

RC

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 5:23 pm     Msa

black msa with white trim...

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 6:06 pm    

Great stuff. I loved those Wilburn Bros. shows and Curly and Hal were always lighting it up on them. Thanks for posting this Jon.

Like Jerry said, those early-mid 70s, MSA Classics had White trim instead of chrome. Curly's MSA Classic was the only one I've ever seen that had two white trim strips on the necks though. Most others had just one. The two strips looked way better to me.

I also noticed Curly's first run, Session 400 (with silver grill cloth instead of black which followed shortly) on the floor behind him.

Curly sure was awesome and cool !!!

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 7:15 pm    

Is that MSA a Classic or a pre Classic. Maybe late 60's
anybody know? I don't see Classic on the front apron. An outstanding musician! T.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 5:01 am    

Lee Dassow wrote:
Is that MSA a Classic or a pre Classic. Maybe late 60's
anybody know? I don't see Classic on the front apron. An outstanding musician! T.Lee

Curly went to MSA after they introduced the Classic. And, as a youngster, I remember well what Tiny said about the unique two strips of trim on the neck. I never saw another one besides his with that effect.

I was/am a big fan of Curly going back to this timeframe as I was just getting interested in playing steel. Unrelated, but I met him once. In 1975, I believe, I attended the CMA awards. It was the year Charlie Rich burned John Denver’s envelope. There was an after party with all the stars and Curly was playing a Gibson 355 in the cocktail jazz band working the party. Yes, they had a jazz quintet playing the CMA party. Shocked

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 3:56 pm    

What a right hand!

Chris

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 5:23 am    

Curly Chalker's picking, of course, was great and his sound was outstanding. MSA was way ahead with those guitars. I still have one I bought in 1977. A great guitar, bulletproof, quiet smooth pulls, and easy to add/change pulls or add half stops.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 6:59 am    

Yes, Bill, I have a D 12 bought in the 70s which served me well over the years. And I picked up a lacquer-finish SD 12 from that era later to keep set up at home as a practice guitar. Bulletproof indeed.

Chris

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 3:09 pm    

What era is that Steel guitar, late 60's or early 70's? T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2021 5:34 pm    

Lee Dassow wrote:
What era is that Steel guitar, late 60's or early 70's? T.L.

Probably 72-74 ish. He went there from a Sho~Bud not long after MSA Micro started and they released the “Classic”

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2021 6:31 am    

That was awesome. His C6th playing was as good as it gets too.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2021 7:59 am    

Spectacular... What a player.

Curly was one of the only world class players that I can remember that was regularly seen on TV etc using an MSA.. It was mostly Emmons, Bud, and maybe a ZB here or there back in those days... MSA were popular everywhere and they sold them by the thousands, but not many top pros used them, at least not many that I remember..

I used to look for them as an MSA player back then and was always disappointed...

I think this guy used an MSA on this cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1On2vIZPTo

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2021 10:41 am    

Bill thanks for the info. Bob great tune, T.L.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 8:55 am    

I seem to remember reading a story by Lloyd Green talking about him introducing Chalker to E9th. Who better to be introduced to E9th by? Ha!
In my opinion Lloyd was the tastiest of all professional E9th players, setting the "manual" on how to accompany a country singer next to (NOT so much behind) Charley Pride on the Panther Hall Live record... a close second being in my opinion Curly Chalker. I know some will be looking up wondering if I ever heard of a cat by the name of Buddy Emmons! Emmons to me is a completely different artist.
One may argue that you could hear "a lot of Lloyd" in Chalker's E9th... while I would agree, I think much of it was also him being himself. He had a unique technique of picking chords almost like single notes on C6th he tastefully and discretely carried over into his E9th playing.
Interestingly too, he could make one of the old MSA "Boat Anchors" SING endlessly, which elegantly refuted the "argument" that MSA's "didn't quite have IT".

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Last edited by J D Sauser on 10 Jan 2022 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 11:57 am    

I love the backup Doug Jernigan does for Faron on Wine me Up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZtQBPKHVU

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 5:18 pm    

Curly's right hand was phenomenal.
Did Hal Rugg & Curly alternate shows on the Wilburn Bros., or was one before the other? I used to love watching them along with Jimmy Capps.
Thanks for posting!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 7:45 pm    

I believe Don Helms was the original steel player with Buddy Spicher on fiddle. Hal replaced Don at some point, and then Curly and Jimmy replaced Hal and Buddy

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 8:00 pm    

Thanks Scott!