The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Track Dry... But What About Delay?
Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 12:53 pm    

I understand the idea of tracking dry and then EQ'ing and adding effects later. Got it.

But when it comes to delay... especially ducked delay with the added dynamics of using a VP or "expression" pedal (as Maurice used to call 'em) ... How can all that be applied after the take? It seems to me that a delay effect algorithm cannot mimic the expression and feeling of this after the take.

What am I missing?

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2021 1:02 pm    

Probably depends on the song. In this day and age it is possible to change the tempo of the song after the fact. Hmmm....don't know.

We had guitar players use echoplex units at the time. Probably would have worked IMHO

Happy Holidays

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 4:54 pm    

It depends on the musical situation. I get hired to make the sound I make so I don't track dry. There are no rules. Depends on what you want to do and what the artist wants. In my experience engineers don't want to screw around with my part later so they want my part to be recorded the way it should sound in the final mix. If during mixdown they can pull my track up to unity and leave it there without editing or reaching for any fixes I'm the guy getting called back.

I know some guys like to get a dry track but I personally rarely to never get asked to record one. I always offer.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 2:17 am    

Any effect that is part of your sound and which you react to while playing (such as delay) should be included. General context-setting such as reverb is best added in the mixdown.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 3:10 am    

Some engineers and producers want it all as recorded, like Bob Hofner, and others want it dry. Also depends on the particular song.

Over the last 20 plus years of recording I mostly recorded dry and added what was needed (generally only a little reverb) in the DAW track. All my recordings for singers have been traditional country which probably influenced the "less is better" thinking.

I learned a lot from ex Nashville songwriter/producer Jimmy Peppers who was a "student" of Billy Sherill style.

If you record it with effects and it winds up, later at mixdown, that there was too much of an effect the only option is to record that track again.