The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB created sessions
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 2:49 am    

BIAB is a fine tool for arranging and laying out a session. Its not perfect but it can be an excellent starting point.

On my site , https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website - currently 13 tracks, which all began with a BIAB vision. I have been asked by a few how I arrange these sessions, so here goes. This is just my process, it works for me. I'm not going for "retail" productions, just clean and simple. Oh yeah, all "LIVE" instruments are recorded direct . My favorite preamp is the DBX 376 which has a 4 band para EQ and an on bd compressor with tons of flexibility. YES, I set EQ and some very mild compression ahead of the DAW and it is printed to the track. I come from the OLD School of, if it sounds good, print it ! I run Pro Tools 12.

Each of the tracks began in BIAB, typically I will search for a drum pattern which is not invasive but fits the "mood" of the session. At times this takes longer than the entire session tracking . BIAB offers many very similar versions of the same drum patterns, some will have Instruments that fit , others have instruments that dictate the MOOD, I don't use those. I will however use some BIAB Instrument tracks that FIT .

Each session is laid out in the BIAB "chord" chart with appropriate drum fills , or as appropriate as can be. I tend to lean towards "LESS IS MORE"

I send the BIAB tracks over to Pro Tools and place them into the session, along with the BIAB two track, which is already arranged and used as the session guide. Each session arrangement is also written measure by measure, as sometimes the only BIAB instrument used is the DRUM track.

IF BIAB Instruments fit and don't interfere, I may use them to embellish the session , otherwise they are replaced with real instruments. The Bass is always replaced. Every note matters and many times BIAB Bass or Instrument tracks are too busy or don't fit the vision of the completed session. BUT, sometimes, incredibly they fit nicely.

Before adding vocals, Steel or Tele's, the track has to be clean, no extra notes or drum fills which interfere or cause a different direction. This probably takes more time than anything, getting the clean rhythm track. Nothing worse than playing a fill and there is something already there causing a conflict.

One of things I love to do on the rhythm track is to use TWO Acoustics guitars, complementing each other, not strumming the same. One fills the other embellishes, They are panned in the mix something like 60 left and 60 right. Somewhere around there. The key here is "SIMPLE" and consistent, leave the lead in or "turn" phrasing notes to a lead instrument later on. I am not going for James Taylor here . Simple soft strums which compliment, then spread them left and right. I place the Bass dead center. The Drum track is stereo from BIAB and placed 100L/100R

Lead Instruments are split somewhere in the 30L/30R area, maybe moved towards the center for solo's. The 20's are reserved for the vocals and harmonies. Typically Lead vocals will reside inside the 10's. The final mix determines the final locations. Also keep in mind that some effects, delays and 'Verbs , can determine the final locations as well.

Regarding vocals, each session always has a reference vocal track which will be pretty much the same as the finished product. Now its time to layout Steel and other lead Instruments. Sometimes this come rather quickly other times it could take days.

BIAB is a fine program but we do have to put the time in. We have to know before we begin what we want the session to sound like at completion. All the session does is fill in the blanks Laughing !

In the WEB Music player, track # 5 (Elusive Dreams) is a nice example of BIAB instruments and real Guitars at the same time. It sounds so simple but geeze , this one took quite a bit if time to lay out , sometimes we can kill a simple track with TOO much. I don't recall how many hours went into this one but I think it was an active session for over a month.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 6:30 am    

Thanks for sharing this Tony, I have had mixed results using BIB for backing tracks. thanks

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 6:49 am    

Doug Taylor wrote:
Thanks for sharing this Tony, I have had mixed results using BIB for backing tracks. thanks

Doug, I think if we expect BIAB to do everything for us we may find ourselves very disappointed and disillusioned, or just accepting the end result.

Just like anything else, its a tool.

It can provide some GOOD stuff and some "unusable" stuff. We have to sort it out. I don't particularly like the BIAB Drums but for me, they serve the purpose for my projects. I have other DRUM programs but at the end of the day, they are all still canned drums. I try to keep them as SIMPLE as possible, I even go into the Drum editor now and then to pull out or delete those extra patterns that don't fit .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 8:50 am    

I have tried to cut some of the fill tracks on fiddle and piano into small chunks in DAW to use as fills between the vocals. Sometimes it sounds pretty good, sometimes not so much! I need to look into the drum editor, can you edit other tracks as well?