The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  new amp
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2021 7:38 pm    

has anyone used the roland jazz chorus 120 amp ? Supposed to be a really clean sound its a stereo amp with two channels and two 12 inch speakers .

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2021 9:43 pm    

Decent amp, heavy and expensive. Wonderful chorus sound...nobody does it like Roland! Not really made for steel, but it'll do a credible job if you don't need a lot of highs. Really different from the typical Fender or Peavey sound. If I didn't have so many amps, and they weren't so heavy, I'd have one myself.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2021 10:09 pm    

Brand new model.

In 1975.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 4:07 am    

One of the best pedal steel amps actually, I've been looking for one myself.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 6:38 am    

I used one for six weeks in a musical play I was in. Not as heavy as a Twin but I didn’t move it. I liked it a lot for steel. The highs were a bit biting, I thought, so I backed the treble off some. It was a very clean sounding amp.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 7:00 pm    

I've used mine a coupla times. Yes, different from just about anything else. Absolute transparency. Whatever you put in, you get out. If you really want to know the tonal character of your guitar, run it through a JC120.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 10:12 am    

Had a JC-120 for more than 10 years. Really good clean sound, plenty of headroom, 100 % dependability. I hate the chorus effect, though, so I never used that (my playing doesn't need to be any more out of tune than it already is... Laughing ).

Worked OK for a twangy Telecaster as well; of course not as good as a Twin or Deluxe, but good enough. But if you want any kind of distortion, forget the built-in effect and get a stomp box instead.

From what I've heard, the less common variant with the Pioneer speakers is the one to go for.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 6:36 am     roland jazz chorus 120 amp

I played one in the 80's at a couple of fairs gigs great amp yes heavy . mine had 2 12's
in it like to get one....

p.w [/quote]

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 2:52 pm    

I’d say ask Albert King, but he’s not around.

He stated he needed something louder than a horn section, when the PA wasn’t helping enough.

Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2021 4:56 pm    

I have a JC-120. Late 70s I recon. I used one in the late 70s with my Fender Rhodes. I never really used the chorus with the Rhodes. It is a killer amp in a good sized room. I use mine now with my MO-8 synth and bass. It has that beautiful "Roland hiss" Laughing

It has the 2 original Roland 12's and casters. It is a brute.

There has been an issue with the reverb/chorus/vibrato section of the amp since I bought it some 20 years ago. Never felt the need to repair it. Pots are cleaned regularly so there is no scratching. It really has a nice range of tone.

Great amp. I might just plug in my steel and see how it sounds versus my Blues Deluxe Very Happy