The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Guitars Are Back!
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 8:22 am    

I think it's terrific that the fellas have gotten into this venture. We have such a small community of users I would never have expected to see anyone invest this much time and money toward a revived Emmons Push Pull project.

I've read all the questions, the speculation, plus the negative feedback, which is very light fortunately, and I'm really happy to see this guitar get a new life.

Some of the input appears that people expect a duplicate of the original. I have no idea if that is true, but I would imagine improvements and updates have also been considered. At least that's what I would have done. Some new ideas would probably be obvious after nearly 60 yrs. of service.

I've seen the word competitive mentioned also but what's the competition? Nothing there but the used market. I have no earthly idea what they will retail for but I certainly wouldn't expect them to be cheap.

There's not a chance in a million that I'll ever have the means or opportunity to own one of these but I think it says a lot about Darin and Kelcey's affintity for the old design and I'm thrilled to see them investing themselves. They must surely love what they are doing.

Best of luck guys!

George Crickmore

Myrtle Beach South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2021 3:46 am     New Emmons Pricing

I got a email today with the prices.

Base price for the D10 $9,995
Base price for the SD10 $7,995

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2021 9:32 am    

Ya know, I'm not as old as some of you fellas, but I'm definitely old enough to remember when things were much cheaper. Time goes on and stuff gets more expensive.

About what we expected on these?

Further consider:

Gibson is charging $6-12K (street) on mass produced Custom Shop Les Pauls
Custom Shop Fender Tele (3 pieces of wood if you include teh skunk stripe) are $4500 new, also mass produced.
Alembic Instruments easily get into the $20K area. Easy.

People pay near $10K for used Franklins and Zums.
Probably pay near that for a real wrap PP if they can find one. Maybe more?

I think the new MSAs were that much or more, and that was 10 years ago, at least.

It's awesome these are being made and I can't wait to see and hear them.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2021 4:32 pm    

I'm primarily a bassist and 6 string player. It never ceases to amaze me how crazy people's price expectations are on here. Made in China dingwall basses are over $2k. Some made in Mexico fenders are well over a grand now. Lots of draft beers are over $6. Houses around here rent for $1500 a month or more.

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2021 3:33 am    

I see nothing wrong with the prices that are being asked what these fellows have done simply amazes me well worth every dime...with the sands in my hour glass running low and my funds lower I am no longer in the running ...but man what a chance for those who still are...best fellows in these endeavours ...David...

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2021 2:08 pm    

There is a Demo video with Wayne Dahl noodling on a D 10, take a look, wonderful tone, classic Emmons P/P sound. Wayne is a monster picker and does the guitar justice.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2021 6:35 pm    

Does the sound, quality and competitive market justify the price? Only the buyer can judge that. Years ago I visited a high end guitar and mandolin shop and was stunned by the prices. I wouldn't let them hand me any of these because I didn't feel like they were worth the asking price. Years later I bought a new Taylor 814ce acoustic at close to 3k. Today I regret that purchase. I do own several nice pedal SD 10s, most were used and 1 new. I don't regret any of those. Mostly because I felt the quality, sound and market justified the price. I may never own a new Emmons, MSA, Sierra or one of the others, nor would I sell my collection to get one. I'm more than happy with what have. just my opinion.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2021 9:22 pm    

I was curios of these-at the price I am out. As a novice I'm looking towards a new G2 or MSA at near half of that.

As a tuba player, I bought my first pro level instrument (late 90's) for $9,000. Now they are twice that. Also my rent was $500 a month back then! Great tubas are now being made in China for much much less but that is a different story.

Franklins and Zums are finite and maybe that is why they are increasing in value. It is cool that these are being made and they can do what they want.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2021 10:09 pm    

If you’re going to fairly compare prices from nearly 50 years ago to today’s prices, inflation needs to be factored in.

The new Emmons ReSound'65™ D10 push-pull guitars feature a standard 8 pedal x 5 knee lever setup, as well as split-tuning hardware at the endplate: $9,995. https://emmonsguitarco.square.site/product/resound65/5?cs=true&cst=custom

In 1973, a new Emmons D-10 push-pull steel guitar with 8 pedals and no knee levers cost $1,495, according to the 1973 Emmons Guitar Catalog. Knee levers could be added for $89.50 each.
Add 5 knee levers @$448 to $1,495 = $1,943.
(Split-tuning was not available from the Emmons Guitar Company in 1973.)

$1,943 in 1973 dollars is equal to $12,104 in 2021 dollars, according to the inflation calculator at www.usinflationcalculator.com

$9,995 / $12,104 = 83%, which means that you are getting a brand-new Emmons push-pull guitar for 17% less than it cost in 1973!
The discount is even greater if you take into consideration the split-tuning feature that comes with the new Emmons ReSound'65™ D10 push-pull guitars!

(BTW, I am not involved with the new Emmons Guitar Company in any way.)

-Dave

Jon Snyder

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2021 9:39 am    

Curious if the first production model has left the factory yet?
Will you be starting a new serial number list or continuation of the original?

The picture of the SD-10 in black and red is beautiful.

Liam Sullins

Brookville, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2021 11:11 am    

I'd love to see some real photos instead of CAD models on the website! I think seeing it with real photos might sell it more.

Dustin Cook

California
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 8:18 am     Emmons

Looking forward to this

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 8:45 am    

Too me...the last piece of the puzzle.. if you're so inclined...great chance the new wraps will have "it" compared to the early original guitars.. that certainly bears out that even then they didn't all sound exactly alike.. but I'm betting these new guitars will be in the ballpark.. albeit a small park Smile

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2021 1:18 pm    

I, like several of my most discerning friends, have owned multiple original 1964-65 Emmons wraparounds, and we have seen them increase greatly in value; that is, what someone would pay who wanted one and was presented with the somewhat infrequent opportunity of finding one for sale.

Likewise the situation with the Bigsby guitar. Not all that sought after until a vintage steel collector started paying what at the time was top dollar. Word got out and prices on Bigsby guitars, pretty much obsolete by current standards, started escalating. The steel collector went to the Bigsby Co. and purchased all the leftover stock the company had relating to steel guitars, then created a handful of exact Bigsby dupicates using original parts. Enter Todd Clinesmith. He purchased what stock was left from the steel collector, took the ball and ran with it. In addition to his excellent reso guitars, he commercially revived the Bigsby design and market demand for that type of guitar, but in limited quantities. Someone desirous of a new Clinesmith won't find one at Guitar Center. You find someone selling an existing guitar, or you have to order and wait.

Because of the Clinesmith success, I wondered how long it would be until the Emmons Original (PP) was revived. Without argument, the most highly prized vintage design of the Emmons is the "wraparound" from 1964-65. The ReSound 65 is, for all intents and purposes, a duplicate of Weldon Myrick's 1965 Emmons D-10. I've played the prototype and it's every bit as Emmons as it can be. Actually, it's better than the Weldon guitar (which I've also played), because frankly, the Weldon guitar is 56 years old. The price is reflective of what an original in playable shape would currently sell for, and would come with new parts, showroom condition, a warranty, and involved builders.

I know of at least one "original Wrap" owner who has ordered a ReSound. I've winnowed my personal inventory of steels down to one original wrap and one Infinity, so I probably am not in the buyer's queue; but were I not in the winter of my career, I would certainly consider a ReSound. They won't be mass produced, and so will hold their resale value if that is any consideration.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2021 1:29 pm    

Thanks for the post Herb, well spoken with the right perspective
And I know who that is and made my decision easier

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2021 9:05 am    

Big Thanks to Dave Magram for his explanation of dollars then vs. dollars now. This is a conversation I've had many times when discussing the price of the Sierra Steels I build.

Looking forward to seeing one of these in person. Great prices for sure!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2021 10:11 am    

I think many will find it hard to justify a price that's roughly four grand above most other brands. As to what they'll be worth in the future, that will depend on how many they sell.

The "other" difference between 1973 money and 2021 money is that wages in the former era were rising very rapidly. That's not the case today.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2021 8:54 pm    

CARTER showed the way to build pedal steel guitars using newer production methods like using extrusion as die making became more affordable. The whole design of the guitar was about cost reduction, fast assembly and a quality professional guitar in mind. It became an instant hit and the guitars could be sold at profit for less than most comparable pro-level guitars.

Compared to THAT, the re-birth Emmons would seem expensive.

And even while we al understand that "a Gallon of gas" was only so-and-so fue cents and a Lincoln Mark III in 1969 cost "only" just shy of $7'000.oo, while a new Navigator now starts in the $80 Thousands... several "Grands" for a "guitar" even with pedals on it IS a lot of dough.
We then look at Gibsons, Fenders, Guilds etc... but then, we have to understand that they now produce a lot in China. Pedal Steel Manufacturers DON'T (and I applaud that!).

When you build a Guitar like Sir Paul Franklin Sr. did and now the "New" Sierra does... one by one, there is no way to cut cost like Carter did.
Building "New" Emmons Push-Pull guitars is an even more complicated challenge. It's OLD "tech". They have to design them, keeping originality in mind to keep it real, keep it GENUINE. Those guitars were cost-ineffective to build THEN, they are COSTLY to build like that NOW.
And then, we should not kid ourselves... back then, after the initial success, the company let a lot of "average" sounding guitars go out the door. Gaps, un-even fit, carelessly put together... many of these guitars just didn't have "it".
As I see it, the current owners and operators of Emmons Guitar Co. aim at treating every each customer to a guitar worthy of BE, Weldon, John Hughey or what ever big name playing it. And THIS is a big deal. It's also costly, because it slows down the process even further.

As much as I hoped to get involved with the Emmons Co. Decades ago, I don't envy them boys for the hard work they have ahead. But I admire them

Finally, we can look at what some of these original guitars in top shape go for today. We can also look at what a Franklin or Zum in top shape goes for today.

So, to conclude, I believe the price is warranted.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2021 6:36 pm    

Liam Sullins wrote:
I'd love to see some real photos instead of CAD models on the website! I think seeing it with real photos might sell it more.

How about a video so you can see and hear one of the new reissued Emmons guitars played by the excellent Wayne Dahl?

Wayne Dahl - Emmons ReSound'65 (mock-up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZRcchvQ0kU

Tone to the bone!

- Dave

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2021 7:42 pm    

I wonder if the endplates, necks, key heads, and pedal boards are castings? The only reason I ask is that some players (and collectors) credit the sound of the Emmons p/p guitars to the fact that castings were used for those parts.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2021 9:23 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I wonder if the endplates, necks, key heads, and pedal boards are castings? The only reason I ask is that some players (and collectors) credit the sound of the Emmons p/p guitars to the fact that castings were used for those parts.

Donny,
Yes they are castings. The parts are cast but then finished with CNC to bring them to exact tolerances. The level of detail and care is astonishing.