The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for the mechanism on Buddy’s Zum
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 10:35 am    

There were some previous posts depicting the mechanical design that enabled Buddy to turn a hex tuner at the endplate and disengage the functionality of the A pedal on the 10th string. It was really showcased on “A Slow One for Peggy.”

I’ve been searching all morning to no avail and would appreciate some help locating those posts/pics. I really want that functionality…...

Thank you!!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 1:31 pm    

Here you go, Marty...

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com//viewtopic.php?t=348978&highlight=

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 2:16 pm    

Thank you, Jerry!!

Now the work begins…..

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Tom Higgins

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 3:33 pm    

Could someone give the common uses of the B 10`th raise? I`m still learning,but would it be a mistake to take it off the A pedal?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2021 8:48 pm    

There are many ways to install a pull disconnect.
I have some ideas I considered at 1 time to disconnect the D knee lever 4th string E to D# lower to match Lloyd Green's knee lever. One was close to the one shown by Hook Moore.

I worked in the light bulb industry on assemble machines, We had many disconnects both mechanical and electrical, So parts would not be moved into position for install, If no bulb was present to receive the part.

HA MARTY I sent you a private message.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2021 1:17 am    

I think I just had a lightbulb moment.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2021 5:59 am    

Tom Higgins wrote:
Could someone give the common uses of the B 10`th raise? I`m still learning,but would it be a mistake to take it off the A pedal?

I feel it would be a huge mistake to take the 10th string raise off the A pedal. That C# is part of the pedals down "A" chord, the C#m chord, the C# major chord with the A&F lever, part of an F#m chord with A&B pedals on strings 6,7, and 10. Most anything you do on string 5 can be done with string 10. There are probably many other uses, and what Buddy used it for is probably a once in a while lick/chord, thus the reason for the disconnect mechanism.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2021 10:06 am    

If your guitar is all-pull w split tone capacity, why not add any love or dropping the 10th string from B—> A and then tuning the split to B when both the Pedal A (B to C#) and he KL (B to A) are engaged. The 10th string raise & lower would cancel out, leaving the 10 string at B while the 5th string raised to C#.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2021 1:12 pm    

Emmons used it here, at 3:32 into Shenandoah. Key of D, the chord is G/A. Gorgeous.

I'll dedicate a spare pedal on my 12-string universals I've converted to extended E9 to raising string 11 G# > B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GllXOgF4DY