The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum S-10's
Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 10:41 am    

I was wondering if anyone on here would know how many Zum S10's, not Stage One or Encore's, were produced? I've noticed they are rarely seen for sale and was wondering if that was because those that own them don't want to sell, if there were very few produced, or both! Smile

Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 12:46 pm    

Good question. I think everyone out there who has one should send it to me, then I will count them up for you. Winking

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2021 3:45 pm    

I don't know the answer to your question but I have a 1989 S10 Zum. It was my first new guitar and I still have it & no it's not for sale.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 11:46 am    

Danny,
If that "not for sale" situation ever changes, lmk.

I'm happy with the guitars I am currently playing but I'd love to a s-10 zum to my small herd.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 2:32 pm    

Andy, I've always found an SD-10 or SD-12 to fit me better and I feel more comfortable playing. Knee levers are further back and that works better for me. Also, because I generally have a staggered LKL, that wider body is pretty essential to get the fit right. I have an S12 Zum with 2 LKL's, and they're unplayable where they live now. I'm designing an adjustable KL flag to remedy that problem. Zum's are terrific!

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 4:17 pm    

I can understand about the knee levers, but I think it's must be how you're built and what you are used too. I have a Hybrid Zum SD10, the S10 Zum mentioned, a Emmons PP S10 and I get along fine. It may be because that what I started on, but I get along with D10's also. I just can't play C6 so it's not worth the weight.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 7:24 pm    

Danny, I hear from some of my students they have the same fit issues with their Zum Encores, the left knees are about 2 inches too far to the left, like my S12. Not sure if this is a universal problem, or just unique to certain Zums...

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 8:56 am    

John McClung wrote:
Andy, I've always found an SD-10 or SD-12 to fit me better and I feel more comfortable playing. Knee levers are further back and that works better for me. Also, because I generally have a staggered LKL, that wider body is pretty essential to get the fit right. I have an S12 Zum with 2 LKL's, and they're unplayable where they live now. I'm designing an adjustable KL flag to remedy that problem. Zum's are terrific!

Hi John!

With me doubling on guitar most of the time, I definitely prefer the S-10 body and since I play zero C6th, I sure don't want the extra weight to carry around. I'll probably continue to use/buy S-10's, as they definitely suit me best thus far.

Andy

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 6 Dec 2021 4:08 pm    

John, I never had a problem with the LL on my Zums or my Encore but I am a fairly lanky 6'-1 1/2".