The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud LDG - Advice wanted
Mikael Sort

Denmark
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 12:13 pm    

Hello fellow steelers.
New member from Denmark in Europe here.
I would very much like your advice on a possible purchase I’m about to make.

I'm in contact with a seller of a Sho Bud LDG here in Europe. My dream guitar!
It's not often you bump into a LDG here in Europe so when the opportunity arises to get your hands on one you have to move fast.

However, I basically only know how to play the darn thing and do not know much about what to pay attention to when buying an older steel. Besides that, the guitar is a 10-hour drive away from my place so any advice on whether there is anything I need to be aware of will be much appreciated. Seller says the guitar is in great shape, but I'm especially interested in hearing what some of you guys think about the pictures of the undercarriage.

in addition, it will be interesting to hear if any of you can tell me something about the guitar. All information is relevant to me!

Serial number is: 15178. (From what I can see in Gene Haughs FB-post the guitar dates to November 1979.
the seller says he has not replaced the pad so the previous owner must have done so.

The guitar comes with extended legs (which is great since I’m 6 feet and 5 inches tall)
Guitar is priced at 2800 dollars.

Pictures below.

Thank you!

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 3:59 pm    

Judging by the straight key head and knee levers this guitar appears to be from the 'Super Pro' era. The main problem with these particular guitars is the use of cheaper pot metal (in place of aluminum) in undercarriage parts which have a tendency to break over time. Replacement parts are available but may prove costly to receive due to your location..Appears to be considerable fading in the finish as well which may indicate frequent or prolonged exposure to sunlight.

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 4:12 pm     Ldg

Exactly. I had to have all my knee lever brackets replaced.

Tony Russell

North of England
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 3:23 am    

https://www.thebritishsteeliessociety.co.uk/
This is the British forum, one or two members are very capable of making replacement parts. So, check it out also.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 7:35 am    

Why not buy it ? Looks pretty clean to me , from here .

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 8:33 am    

David Nugent wrote:
Judging by the straight key head and knee levers this guitar appears to be from the 'Super Pro' era. The main problem with these particular guitars is the use of cheaper pot metal (in place of aluminum) in undercarriage parts which have a tendency to break over time. Replacement parts are available but may prove costly to receive due to your location..Appears to be considerable fading in the finish as well which may indicate frequent or prolonged exposure to sunlight.

Perhaps it should be clarified that replacement parts that are available are made of aluminum, so you're not just replacing a broken one with another breakable one.

Considerable fading is common in LDG's.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 11:19 am    

The changer is pretty limited by today's standards, so that needs to be considered as well as the pot metal issue.
For that price and condition and that it's already across the pond, you shouldn't have any problem with resale with a profit, so I'd say it's a keeper.
(There's also the time and cost of 20 hours driving, there and back).

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 11:38 am    

--- The breakable pot metal thing is real. On the other hand there are thousands of people who have not broken the brackets. But it's real.
--- The price seems high to me. But I do hear you and I do understand the scarcity of steel guitars where you are and that certainly will affect pricing.

--- I'm a bit uncertain what I'm looking at here. Ricky Davis -- what do you see?

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 12:19 pm    

I wonder what the custom fee was to get it into Europe?

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 6:23 pm    

What are you waiting for? It is the guitar you have wanted. It is there in your country. I would not think that would come about but once in a life time. J.R.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 9:23 pm    

I tend to agree with the above. You said "My dream guitar". It's there on your continent, if not your country (not likely if it's a 10-hour drive from your place), but beats trans-Atlantic shipping (& customs, etc.). And with extended legs already?!? Don't know what intra-European prices might be, so can't comment. Down the road, possible broken parts (mainly knee lever brackets) can be dealt with, might add a bit to the long-term cost, but...

I myself have a '79 LDG. Great sounding and playing guitar.

Last edited by Brint Hannay on 5 Dec 2021 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 6:02 am    

You say an LDG is your dream guitar. My guess is that you might be able to count the number of LDGs in Europe on one hand, let alone coming across one that is actually for sale.

Put another way, as they say in the vintage guitar business: Find another.

Get it.

Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 11 Dec 2021 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 6:27 am    

Quote:
I'm a bit uncertain what I'm looking at here. Ricky Davis -- what do you see?

Jon; that actually is the common way; since so close to ledge, they linked the RKR knee bracket to the pull-arm of crossbar. That's just a bolt ran through knee bracket with nut on other side so it don't wiggle..ha...yeeehaaaa.
Ricky

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 6:37 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Quote:
I'm a bit uncertain what I'm looking at here. Ricky Davis -- what do you see?

Jon; that actually is the common way; since so close to ledge, they linked the RKR knee bracket to the pull-arm of crossbar. That's just a bolt ran through knee bracket with nut on other side so it don't wiggle..ha...yeeehaaaa.
Ricky

Yeah -- I've got some similar connections under my pre-Super Pro 6160. This just looked a bit cockeyed. Wasn't sure what was up.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 7:01 am    

If its your dream guitar, its probably best to consider you may not ever see another one a days drive away... Yes its a pot metal guitar, but anything that breaks on it can be replaced, parts are available, and are a LOT better than the parts that came with the guitar. If you hesitate, it might be the last LDG you see "locally" for a very long time... The finish is faded some, but not too bad, and that is common on those guitars. Price is a bit high, but you are in Europe and as others have written "find another". Might try offering $2600, and see what happens.. It will at least offset travel costs.. In any case, no matter what you decide, let us know how you make out.. best of luck.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Mikael Sort

Denmark
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 11:38 am    

Thank you for all your comments guys - much appreciated!

A few minutes after I posted this I wrote an email to Ricky Davis, asking if everything looked ok to him.
He said as far as he could tell it looked alright. So the following day I called the seller and made a deal with him.
(As many of you write "find another" Very Happy )

I've taken a day off from work next week where I'll take the drive down to pick it up. To say that I'm excited is a big understatement!

Can't wait to see the guitar - and to give the aluminium and lacquer som TLC. Been reading all of Rickys posts about bringing the lacquer back to a good state.
If you're interested I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 11:49 am    

Great move Mikael and like I said; I'll be super glad to help you in any way, take on any problem you might get up against. There is 5 different ways to fix the same prob. but I've been doing this for so long on so many Sho~bud's, I will coach you through the most Problem-Free way of doing it.
enjoy; and one apology I have;> In touring all those years with Dale Watson; I've been to every Scandinavian Country EXCEPT Denmark; So so sorry bro; always wanted to go.
Ricky

Mikael Sort

Denmark
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 11:50 am    

Chris Templeton wrote:

Can't say what the price was back when it was imported. But now the custom fee is 25% of the price of the guitar and shipping cost added. Besides that there's a handling fee of 100 US dollars.

So if bought a LDG in the US for lets say 2800 dollars (like this LDG). The price for me with shipping, custom fee and handling fee would be a total of almost 4000 dollars.

Mikael Sort

Denmark
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 11:52 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Great move Mikael and like I said; I'll be super glad to help you in any way, take on any problem you might get up against. There is 5 different ways to fix the same prob. but I've been doing this for so long on so many Sho~bud's, I will coach you through the most Problem-Free way of doing it.
enjoy; and one apology I have;> In touring all those years with Dale Watson; I've been to every Scandinavian Country EXCEPT Denmark; So so sorry bro; always wanted to go.
Ricky

Can't thank you enough Ricky - very kind of you!

If you ever do come to Denmark I'll give you a guided tour Winking

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 11:57 am    

Quote:
So if bought a LDG in the US for lets say 2800 dollars (like this LDG). The price for me with shipping, custom fee and handling fee would be a total of almost 4000 dollars.

Yes that has become a HUGE pet-peeve of mine; in how the world Politicians is wanting all the countries to become closer/friendlier...etc....but this and many other financial MOGALS; is one of the best ways to DISCONNECT the countries..!!!!.STOP THAT you government clueless dogs....
(ok got my misery out; I'm fine now...ha..)
Ricky

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 5:41 pm    

Mikael Sort wrote:
Chris Templeton wrote:

Can't say what the price was back when it was imported. But now the custom fee is 25% of the price of the guitar and shipping cost added. Besides that there's a handling fee of 100 US dollars.

Does the 25% include VAT, though? I ask because it's important to keep in mind that sales tax is not a duty on foreign goods and is in most places something that's paid on any domestic or foreign-made item sold new domestically (even if, in the EU, it's included in the retail price). Now if you pay VAT on top of the 25%, ugggghhhh ...

Henning Kock

Denmark
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2022 9:51 am     Pedal Steel Guitar parts in Denmark

July 30 2022,
Hello Mikael,
Nice to see you here on the forum.
I have repaired and adjusted many pedal steels here in Denmark and have spent many weeks (incorperated in 6 different travllings through the USA) by Sho-Buds factory on second floor on Broadway in Nashville, also at Duane Mars workshop in Nashville, Jimmie Crawfords workshop in Nashville, and the ZumSteel workshop in Kansas City and Harrisonburg, also the ZumSteel Stage One
workshop in Branson, Missouri.
I have some used parts for Sho-Bud, Emmons Legrande, Emmons Push Pull, ZumSteel, ZumSteel Stage One, and more.
If you need some parts or accessories, I have some items
for sale on:
www.steelguitardanmark.dk
Den Blaa Avis
Gul Og Gratis
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards / Mit freundliche Grüssen / Met vriendelijke groet
Henning
Henning Kock
Aarhusvej 111
8300 Odder
Denmark
Tlf 8654 2959