The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hilton VP vs Goodrich/Matchbox combo
Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 7:25 am    

Hi friends,

I am wondering if anybody can explain the perceived differences in tone/ feel that they experience when using an active volume pedal like the Hilton, versus using a passive pot pedal like the Goodrich combined with a buffer like the Matchbox?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 4:56 pm    

Essentially, they perform the same function, assuring the pickup sees a high and constant impedance. The significant difference would likely be other controls that either might have. In the case of the Hilton,that would be (depending on the model), the presence of a tone adjustment, a gain control, or an on/off point adjustment. And in the Goodrich Matchbox (again depending on the model), it would be the gain/distortion knob, and a tone knob. One other point might be that the matchboxes operate on a battery for power, while the powered volume pedals (most all of them) require a standard outlet.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 12:45 pm    

I’m really curious about the nuances of tone between each setup. I have a Goodrich 120 and a Hilton Pro. They are both great, and I find myself switching between the two depending on my mood. The Hilton is definitely brighter and “harder” sounding….I find that I really like to use it when recording to help my psg tracks cut through the mix nicely. But the Goodrich has such a warm midrange that is just so pleasant….but the high end can get tricky to eq in a mix. It’s so easy to have too much or too little.

I gues my real question is, despite performing the same function, do the 120 plus Matchbox sound the same as the Hilton?

I’d love to have the same high end clarity on both pedals, but love that extr mid bump that the Goodrich has…..will the Matchbox give me more clarity in the high end while preserving the nice mids?

I realize this is a question about nuances, but I mainly use psg to record, and the Devil is in the details…..

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 8:57 pm    

No, they wouldn't sound exactly the same, since they operate on different principles. If you're real persnickety on tone, you should look into a good graphic equalizer, since it would allow you to dial-in a custom frequency response. (As opposed to the either/or approach you're contemplating.)

I know I'm in the minority, but I consider a graphic EQ a really great tool to tailor a sound. And it's far superior to a parametric EQ because it allows you far more precise control and it allows you to "comb" a large band.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 7:58 am    

The Goodrich/Matchbox combo: I think that it's important to specify the order of these items.
You are going to get a different effect on your tone depending upon the order.

So now we have three things to compare.
1) Hilton
2) PSG - Goodrich passive - Matchbox - Amp.
3) PSG - Matchbox - Goodrich passive - Amp.

Donny wrote: "I know I'm in the minority, but I consider a graphic EQ a really great tool to tailor a sound."

In addition, it can be adjusted for that "dobro" simulation that has been discussed about a bazillion times over the years.
IMO, if you want to be an in demand PSG player, this is an important tool to have in your toolbox.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2021 9:54 am    

I would suggest considering a Sarno Freeloader. The Freeloader is a buffer with a variable input impedance.

I have both a Freeloader and a Goodrich Matchbox 7a. When patched directly from the steel (and thus pickup) output jack, they present a fixed high-impedance load to the pickup's output impedance, and a fixed, low output impedance to the volume pedal for good, full-frequency signal transfer. They differ in the method of achieving tone control. The Matchbox has both a tone and gain control, whereas the Freeloader has the variable input impedance, which ranges I believe from around 100K Ohm to 1000K Ohm - you can get particulars from the Sarno website.

I've tried both back to back and personally prefer the Freeloader. To me, it's a less drastic and more natural way to control the tone. I know that Brad suggests putting the Freeloader before the volume pedal, and I think that makes the most sense. If you put it after the volume pedal, then the volume pedal will continue to drop high frequencies as the pedal is pulled back to lower volumes.