The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Open G tunings - Dobro vs. flat-top vs. electric guitars
JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2021 10:50 am    

Hello all;

I put down my resonator guitar for a bit to focus on my lap steel that I play in open D. I had me a real good time.

Now, I want to also play a flat-top guitar in open G, but can't discern which tunings my preferred musicians are using. An example of the "preferred musicians"/styles (in G?) include Lloyd Maines (Terry Allen's, Flatland Boogie, Human Remains) [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDdFUmqcfs, Derek Trucks, Bonnie Raitt, Patty Griffin, many others.

The general question is: Which G tuning are acoustic flat-top slide players using? (I'm guessing the answer is "all the above and more and you'll never be able to tell by just listening").

G B D G B D (high bass, Dobro)
D G D G B D (low bass, Taro-patch)
G D B F# A D (Gmaj9)

Any insight?

Thanks a heap,

Last edited by JB Bobbitt on 2 Dec 2021 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2021 11:18 am     Re: Open G tunings - Dobro vs. flat-top vs. electric...

JB Bobbitt wrote:
G B D G B D (low bass, Dobro)

I might consider that to be a high-bass G (and, of course, Dobro) tuning. To me, low-bass G would be D-G-D-G-B-D (low to high). Great for underhand slide playing on both acoustic and electric standard guitars.

But it all boils down to whatever works for you. One advantage of string instruments is you can set 'em up and tune 'em however you want.

JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2021 1:35 pm     Re: Open G tunings - Dobro vs. flat-top vs. electric...

[quote="Jack Hanson"]
JB Bobbitt wrote:
G B D G B D (low bass, Dobro)

I might consider that to be a high-bass G (and, of course, Dobro) tuning. To me, low-bass G would be D-G-D-G-B-D (low to high).

Yes, I got those backward, thanks. I just fixed it in OP.
-jbb

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2021 3:55 pm    

I believe that the low Bass G tuning, D G D G B D, is the most popular G tuning for 6 string guitar players. I have a good friend who is a fantastic slide guitar player and I've played gigs with him where he used that tuning all night long with a Blues band that also did quite a bit of R&B. I called a swing break song, C Jam Blues, and he sounded like Speedy West! Keith Richards uses this tuning a lot, but he doesn't like the low D, so he just takes off the low string and plays it as a 5 string.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 12:36 am    

lo-bass G has been a favorite delta blues tuning, for electric and acoustic guitars. The low strings give you a "power chord" that works for major and minor chording.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 5:45 am    

If you're talking about slide guitar, not lap steel - I think the most common slide guitar tunings are either a Vestapol-type tuning (1 5 1 3 5 1) - frequently open E = E B E G# B E or open D = D A D F# A D; or a Robert Johnson delta style 5 1 5 1 3 5 type of tuning like open G = D G D G B D (what Jack is calling low-bass G) or open A = E A E A C# E. Most slide players I know (including me) just call D G D G B D 'open G'. I call GBDGBD 'dobro G' or just GBDGBD.

I'd use that delta open G for that Terry Allen tune. Duane often used open E Vestapol. I saw Johnny Winter many times, he used open E and open A a lot on electric. I suspect he tuned down on some things, especially on acoustic. I think Bonnie uses open A a lot, as did Lowell George. But slide players will often move these tunings up or down to suit, either with a capo or using different strings to get a different base tuning. I generally keep one guitar set up with string gauges so it's easily re-tuned between open G and open D, and another set up with gauges so it's easily re-tuned between open E and open A. I have been known to run lighter or heavier strings to enable those same intervals either lower or higher than that. I have a baritone guitar set up for Vestapol open B or 5 1 5 1 3 5 open E - that low B is B below the bottom E of standard guitar tuning. David Lindley reported he used a Vestapol-style open A tuning on some tunes. Must be a bit lighter strings to keep that high A from breaking - but slide players tend to use heavier strings than the typical electric guitar player.

I view tunings for slide guitar and lap steel a bit differently. I think it's pretty unusual to see slide players use, let's say, a typical lap steel 6th type of tuning. Set up properly, slide guitars afford the possibility of fretting notes as well as sliding notes. Even fretting behind the slide while sliding, a la Sonny Landreth. So I mostly use these simple tunings and get my chordal notes outside the basic 1, 3, and 5 tones by fretting one way or another. Pretty tough to slant on slide guitar. So slide guitar and nonpedal steel each have challenges, and players have developed different workarounds.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 5:58 am    

Lately on “vertical slide” I’m using the DGDGBD tuning, but on some songs I tune the 5th string G up to A, which gives a modal power D on the bottom. It comes in handy for backup riffs and some other cool voicings. Neil Young has used this DADGBD tuning quite a lot. I often whip the slide off my finger and play overhand for variety. It’s a cool move, too, from audience perspective.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 12:31 pm    

Yeah - once you have a base tuning, it's easy to perturb any string's tuning or two up or down a semitone or whole tone without messing up the string tensions a lot. For example, going from Vestapol DADF#AD to DADGAD is common, and gives another variation with a modal feel. Banjo players often just call the equivalent banjo tuning gDGCD (from the standard gDGBD G tuning) 'modal tuning'.

But what is harder, IMO, is going from one of these standard open tunings to something like a closed-interval 6th or 7th tuning, on the same set of strings. I've tried and I always wind up with some strings that are either way too tight or way too slack. This is because the tuning range is significantly different. For example, both Vestapol 1 5 1 3 5 1 and Delta 5 1 5 1 3 5 have a two-octave range. But a typical closed interval 6th or 7th tuning like, for example, 1 3 5 6/b7 1 3 has just a 1-1/3 octave range. If you stretch the strings tighter from the 6th/7th, some tensions get really high. If you slack the strings looser from the standard open tunings, some strings get really slack. Slackening like this can be done, but I've never liked the feel or sound, either on slide guitar or steel.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 3:02 pm    

K Maul wrote:
...I’m using the DGDGBD tuning, but on some songs I tune the 5th string G up to A, which gives a modal power D on the bottom. It comes in handy for backup riffs and some other cool voicings.

D-A-D-G-B-D works great for playing Delta Blues stuff like Dust My Broom and Phonograph Blues with fingers (sans slide).

Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2021 5:39 am    

I play either DGDGBD - low bass open G - or the same with a low E if I want some minor chords. I had reason to look up what Bonnie Raitt plays recently, and she quotes that same low bass open G and the same tuning one step higher - low bass open A. One thing I really like about it is that (and I know this is pretty simple stuff) it has the major third interval between the third and second string, and a minor third interval between the second and first string. Seems to set up some licks like falling off a log... Smile

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2021 10:13 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
K Maul wrote:
...I’m using the DGDGBD tuning, but on some songs I tune the 5th string G up to A, which gives a modal power D on the bottom. It comes in handy for backup riffs and some other cool voicings.

D-A-D-G-B-D works great for playing Delta Blues stuff like Dust My Broom and Phonograph Blues with fingers (sans slide).

I’m going to try that DADGBD tuning tomorrow on a fretted guitar! Right now I’ve got the fretted guys tuned to Open D and the laps tuned to a G6, EGDGBD. The G over D tuning looks cool.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 9:40 am    

as stated above, one of the advantages of DGDGBD is that you can easily move that to open D. you also have a fifth (and a power chord) on adjacent strings. which, for a simpleton rock 'n' roller like me, is very important!

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2021 9:50 am    

[quote="Allan Revich"]
Jack Hanson wrote:

I’m going to try that DADGBD tuning tomorrow on a fretted guitar! Right now I’ve got the fretted guys tuned to Open D and the laps tuned to a G6, EGDGBD. The G over D tuning looks cool.

Lots of Neil Young’s acoustic stuff is in that tuning and some electric as well. I think CORTEZ THE KILLER is in that tuning. The melody practically plays itself.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.