The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Lewis (Conway Twitty bass player)
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 4:31 pm    

In researching some session information I came up on a few questions regarding Joe Lewis who spent a long time with Conway Twitty as a bass player and backup vocalist (which he was really good at) Joe passed away in 1976 but later that year at the session that gave us "Georgia keeps pulling on my ring" I see Joe listed as being on it and the background vocalist is obviously different. Can anyone tell me who that was. Oddly enough I believe I've heard the same vocalist on recordings before Joe died.

On the date Joe died April 15, 1976 Conway had a session. Does anyone know if at that time he was aware of Joe being in an accident. If so I cant imagine how difficult that session would have been.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 7:08 am    

According to Discogs, it was L.E. White doing the backup vocals on Georgia... He was on many Twitty dittys. Sorry. 😳 I need more coffee.☕ That's probably why you recognized the voice.

I used to be FB friends with Big Joe's aunt or cousin or some relative. Used to have great conversations and great posts about Joe. I had heard that Big Joe was to Conway that Don Rich was to Buck. Those high harmonies are some of the best in the business.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 7:44 pm    

Richard, thank you so much for providing that information. Yes Joe was a big part of the sound. I guess if I wish country music had more of something now it would be obviously more pedal steel but also those classic side men and backup singers they used to have. George Owens with Del reeves, Joe with Conway, Don rich with Buck. Oswald with Roy Acuff.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 7:48 pm    

You beat me to it Richard. I saw L. E. on the Opry with Conway quite a few times. Another guy who was prominent as a utility harmony singer and rhythm was George McCormick.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2021 9:23 am    

Yes George McCormick was also a great backup singer. Country music was made so much more unique because of these folks

Does anyone know if Joe Lewis did any recording on his own? He cut atleast one song for an album featuring Conways band and he was obviously talented on his own but I’ve never found any other recordings.