The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Sierra Purchase Experience
Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 1:52 pm    

In early 2021 I started the process of ordering a New Sierra psg. I contacted Ross Shafer and outlined the basics of what I wanted. Ross gave an estimated timeline and I put down a deposit.

As my order made came closer to the front of the line I had several detailed conversations with Ross to finalize the specifications. Wood type, color, inlay options, number of changers, copedant and electronics. Ross provided feedback to my questions and referred me to some other owners who were willing to share their opinions.

I've had the guitar for around a month now and I'm really pleased. I can't think of anything I would change.

The one thing I was hoping for the most was tuning stability and the New Sierra really excels here. According to both my ears and my tuner, there is no detectable cabinet drop or hysteresis. This makes it a real joy to play.

All the changers are very smooth and the timing for multi-string changes is spot on.

A huge thanks to Ross Shafer for designing and building these!

Last edited by Michael Hill on 28 Nov 2021 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jon Snyder

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 6:08 pm    

That is a beautiful guitar. Enjoy.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 6:48 pm    

Mike, I'm not quite seeing how-to tune that. Are the cap screws string locks or tuners or both? RP

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 1:13 am    

Oh My! Incredibly Gorgeous!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 6:27 am    

Welcome to the Sierra family. That is a beautiful guitar. Ross does wonderful work and a great fellow to deal with.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 8:13 am    

Beautiful guitar! And Ross is an absolute gem of a human being!

Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 9:04 am    

Ron Pruter wrote:
Mike, I'm not quite seeing how-to tune that. Are the cap screws string locks or tuners or both? RP

The cap screws lock the string down like you thought.

The guitar comes with a double sided tuning wrench. 1 side is a socket for tuning the changers as expected. The other side is an allen key for tuning the open strings. There are small holes to access the tuning screws.

On the negative side, tuning requires a tool. On the plus side, it's a compact and sleek design.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 3:27 pm    

Thx Mike.

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 11:31 pm    

The attachment to the pedal looks a bit different - do you have a closer photo to show how it works?

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 8:58 am    

Thanks for your post Michael, I'm so glad you like your new Sierra so much. I love building these contraptions, knowing my customers are happy with my work, makes me love it even more!

Thanks also to all y'all for the kind comments. "Gem of a human being" though....there are definitely those who would disagree, but thank you for that wonderful compliment Charley, I'll take it!

John Hyland here's a link to page six of the Sierra thread which shows the pedals up close and in personal. pics are toward the bottom of the page.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=316783&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 2:59 pm    

Ross Shafer wrote:

John Hyland here's a link to page six of the Sierra thread which shows the pedals up close and in personal. pics are toward the bottom of the page.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=316783&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Thanks Ross
Looks great ( as the does the whole guitar)
So, if I understand the j shape pin pushes out and springs back in to catch a hole in the base of the rod? but if that is the case I dont quite understand why there are three positions as the tip of the j pin can only engage the rod in two positions.
cheers John

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 11:26 pm    

John Hyland wrote:

.... but if that is the case I dont quite understand why there are three positions as the tip of the j pin can only engage the rod in two positions.
cheers John

Please ignore - I see what is happening for three positions

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2021 6:24 am    

Beautiful guitar. The satin finish on the metal is really nice looking. The use of carbon fiber is different and unique, but it makes good sense.