The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D'Addario Flat Tops Acoustic Guitar Strings EFT13 Resophonic
Dave Sky

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 9:51 am    

Has anyone used D'Addario Flat Tops Acoustic Guitar Strings EFT13 Resophonic 16-56 strings for a Weissenborn. I have an inexpensive Chinese weissenborn copy, I was looking for something to cut down on string noise and thought I would try flat wounds. I use flat wounds on my lap steel. Anyone have some opinions on this?

Michael Miller

Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 2:13 pm    

John Pearse has some phospher bronze strings for Weissenborn. Worth checking out!

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 9:29 pm    

Dave,

You might find that that set of strings is too beefy for your guitar and may put too much pressure on the bridge. What tuning will you be using?

Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2021 4:25 am    

Weissenborn's often come with warnings about string gauges and tension. Gold Tone says this about that:

"The total string tension exerted on ANY Gold Tone Weissenborn guitar should be no more than 165 lbs. when tuned to standard (A440) pitch."

So you can probably use those strings if you tune to a dropped tuning (the .016" high string might be a little large) but other tunings, use a string tension calculator to guide you. I always look for between 25 and 30 lbs tension on any string anyway.

Dave Sky

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2021 7:43 am    

Thanks for the advice! I tune to open D. The D'Addario Acoustic Guitar Flattop Environmental Resophonic, .016 - .056, EFT13 tension is 172 lbs, Pearse D tuning for Weissenborn, model 3160L is 178 lbs.
However the D'Addario EFT17 Flat Tops Acoustic Guitar Strings Medium 13-56 tension is 152 lbs. Gauges: .013 .017 .026 .035 .045 .056
I will try them swapping out the 13 for a 15 plain. I want to try flat wounds on my weissenborn.

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2021 4:22 am    

Hi Dave, I tried Flat Tops at one time and didn't care for them so I went back to round wounds. They did cut down on string noise a bit but the trade-off was less high end. I think the set I used were EFT17.

Dave Sky

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2021 8:01 am    

Thanks Mark, I figured that there must be a reason that I haven’t seen anyone using them.

Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2021 9:12 am    

The flat wounds work great on some electric guitars but will probably never work on a acoustic instrument. On my Weissenborn I use Martin Monel strings (The Tony Rice retro model) These are much quieter then the Phosphor bronze,and sound better to my ear.

Quote from Martin page

"C.F. Martin crafted these fine Monel strings to the exact specifications of legendary guitarist, Tony Rice. Made with a long lasting nickel-based alloy, these strings quickly mellow to a warm vintage tone that brings out the unique, woody sounds in your acoustic guitar"

"I never thought I'd see the day when I could put Martin Monel strings back on my D-28. Welcome back, old friend. I've missed you" - Tony Rice

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2021 2:30 pm    

Michael Miller wrote:
John Pearse has some phospher bronze strings for Weissenborn. Worth checking out!

That's what I currently have on my 1922 Maui Maid:

They sound good.

Sebastian Müller

Berlin / Germany
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2021 10:33 am    

I use Daddario EFT 15s for my bass strings on my Tricone.
They deliver a warm sound with less slide noise, I love them.

for A Hibass
I use 16/18/22 (all plain) and 30/39/47 (wound).

I order the plains as single strings (rather cheap)
and use the the 3 lowest basstrings from this set:
Daddario EFT 15

https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/acoustic-guitar/flat-tops-phosphor-bronze/eft15-phosphor-bronze-flat-tops-extra-light-10-47/

You can check the sound here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/HawaiianSteelGuitar/videos

Dave Sky

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 6:51 am    

I tried the Tony Rice model strings on my plywood ADM weissenborn. I like them and improved the sound. I put the EFT17 on a solid top Luna Weissenborn. I like my strings after they have been used for awhile and liked the dullness of the flat tops. It is like putting old strings on that still stay in tune. So, I like both of them. I just play at home now and it was fun to try new strings. Thanks for the string ideas!

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 9:43 am    

I have used those strings often over the years when I couldn't find a legitimate resonator guitar set. Of course I had to buy single strings because the 1st and 2nd string are simply too light. I believe I used 16 and 18's for the first and second strings.