The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Ultratone/Gibson ga-25
Gene Fisher

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 1:15 pm    

We just had a client bring a Gibson Ultratone and a Gibson ga-25 amp in for us to go through and then find a new home for both, these are a little out of our normal pieces, once our repair tech has gone through both of them and has them up to snuff we will have prices and better pics, in the meantime if anyone wants o help identify age and maybe some general hints on a fair value it would be appreciated
Gene Fisher-815-541-8710
Music Equipment Rental Repair and Resale-815-291-5770

Mark Nason

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 2:55 pm    

WOW! So beautiful!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 3:09 pm    

If the knobs are original, a ballpark estimate of manufacture would be early 1946 to late 1949, when Gibson changed to numbered knobs.

I love those old white Ultatones, but none of mine look nearly that nice. I would not hazard a guess as to what it may be worth. The key is the condition of the fragile Plexiglas hinged cover plates.

Gene Fisher

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 9:37 am    

Yes, all original, we haven't touched ,it's been in a lady's closet for 20 years, a couple slight nicks in the paint on the back of the body of the guitar, I would say a "9" on a scale of one to ten with ten being brand new in the box, I feel privileged to be able to find it's next player

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 4:13 pm    

The UltraTone must have been my 2nd or 3rd steel ever as a Teen... in the 80's. I also had a Console Grande D8 which was the "Top Of The Line"... yet the UltraTone had not it's name in vain... it was so amazingly "electric" and present, "in your face" sounding, the band called it "The Blow Dryer".
I sold mine and Decades later bought up 2 here-n-there.

All things being integre, the weak spot is the "plexi"-covers which also are hinged on the key-head and pickup ends. Most are cracked some or more. Aesthetically, I believe that's the biggest price breaker placing these guitars realistically between $600 to $800... a pristine one MAYBE just shy of a Grand. The ones with broken Tuning Keys or bent tuner key shafts maybe even less.
The really special ones would be one of the very 7 stringers... which would add an easy + 30% to 50% depending on condition again.

Unlike the cheaper BR series or early Rickenbachers, and because Amps already existed for over 10 years by then, the guitars were often not sold as a package. Although there WAS an UltraTone Amp available.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Gene Fisher

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2021 8:41 pm    

Thank you for your response and your knowledge, this is for sure a learning experience for me

Nathan Odell

New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 5:45 am    

I'm no expert, but I ran a search on Reverb for sold listings of that amp. It ranges wildly based on apparent condition, but yours looks extremely clean. Similar ones seem to be selling for $1100-1400. In my experience, Reverb prices can be a bit inflated, because it's a national or international audience, so you're casting a wide net.

Gene Fisher

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 9:27 am    

Just an update the guitar had no issues other that the pots were scratchy, a little Deoxit and some pot exercise and it is as good as new, the amp had one bad capacitor so my repair tech replaced all 4 and now it is as quiet as a mouse until you present audio, and of coarse he cleaned, all the jacks and pots, anyway Monday I think we will be ready to get together with the owner and arrive at a price to list, I want to thank everybody who chimed in with info and comments

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 9:44 am    

Really nice stuff, thats a Joe Bonamassa kinda set.