The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Will Don Rich be inducted into CMHOF
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 5:35 pm    

Or is it lost cause?It would certainly break down the traditional walls.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 6:42 pm    

I would say someday possibly. Right now there are a lot ahead of him. People are pushing for Jerry Lee Lewis, Keith Whitley, Gene Watson, and others. Musician wise he is most likely behind Buddy, Lloyd, Weldon, Hal, Buddy Spicher, Shorty Lavender, Tommy Jackson, and others.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 6:49 pm    

I was under the impression he was already in. The year we were all pulling for Lloyd Green for his extensive session work, they gave it to Don because of his passing the year before I'm probably confused but that did happen in some category. Maybe when they named musician of the year.

LaVern Skarzenski

North East,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 4:32 am    

CMHOF or SGHOF?

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 12:52 pm    

How many sidemen are in the CMHOF? I can't think of any if you don't count the ones that started as a sideman and moved up the rank to become a star in their own right.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 1:49 pm    

I don't believe it is for side men. Hell, I've been waiting for the Wilburn Brothers to be inducted. They're both forgotten, by now. Damn.

Bill.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 5:18 pm     I doubt Don will be inducted

Session players have got in, like Grady Martin, "Pig" Robbins, and Harold Bradley. But those are players who did a lot of recording on hits with many artists. Don only recorded with Buck, and the few solo chances he had to shine were credited either to Buck, or the band "The Buckaroos", except for "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", which was credited to him (and is one of my favorites by Don), but it never charted.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 8:28 pm    

Or Brent Mason? Or Albert Lee? Or Paul Franklin?
I believe Pete Drake got in this past year.

Country is a star machine industry. 99% of the time, a single person’s name is associated with a hit song. Their face is the one in the spotlight, and that’s it. Only geeks like us care about who played steel or wrote the song or sang those incredible backup harmonies. In Rock, there are full bands that get into the HoF because that’s the name associated with the famous songs. Most people can’t even name a Country band, let alone the names of the players in it. Maybe if there was a Sideman HoF, or Session Player HoF. But almost by definition, those folks were never really in it for the fame anyway, were they?

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 5:06 am    

I was checking out the list on the CMHOF website. A couple other sidemen in there not mentioned earlier are Floyd Cramer and Johnny Gimble. Floyd in particular of course became an instrumental “front man” when instrumentals were still a thing.

Chet Atkins is of course in the Hall, but again he was an instrumental front man, along with his career as a producer and executive.

Speaking of non-musicians in the Hall I’m actually sort of amazed how many members are executives, studio owners (though some are also fine musicians), and dee jays.

In the case of Don Rich, one reason why he might not be in is that his career was relatively short because of his tragic death at age 32. But for that matter, speaking of masters of the Telecaster - James Burton isn’t even a member. That being the case, it would seem pretty unlikely that Don will ever be enshrined in the Hall.

Yeah, they finally put a steel player in this year with the addition of Pete Drake. And it strikes me as absolutely bizarre that Buddy Emmons and Lloyd Green aren’t in. But I shouldn’t be surprised. How many years has Paul Franklin been on the ballot at the CMA Awards for musician of the year - and he still has yet to win. Ridiculous.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 10:14 am    

My guess is Don Rich has a much better chance of entering the Musician's Hall of Fame versus the Country Music Hall of Fame. https://www.musicianshalloffame.com/
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 10:03 pm    

As far as HOF organizations go, I’ve been to both the Musicians Hall of Fame and the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville. Though I enjoyed the Musicians HOF, it’s not in the same league as the Country Music Hall of Fame.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 10:03 pm    

He (Don Rich) didn't sell enough Streets Of Bakersfield Biscuits 4 " Buck" in a El Super Super Markets like" Dwight Yoakam " did in a Hollywood Homicide 4 Ralph's. To a Musician,salvation is the most crucial position of one's Career.Faith and works make it happen.Some people it's how they work off of somebody else echo. Guitarist the late AL Bruno needs to be put in there to, The Country Music Hall Of Fame & Musicians. Golden Smiles. Winking

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2021 6:52 pm    

As I recall, the instrumentalist category for induction into CMHOF only comes around every four years....

.....meaning it will be a very long time for any of our strictly instrumentalist heroes to be inducted.