The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '49 Roy Wiggins course
Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 10:12 am    

Just got this off Ebay. From the pictures it looks like its for A tuning, high bass I'm assuming.
I've never seen it before so i paid up for it, ill post more pictures when i get it, maybe the whole thing if it looks useful.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 11:14 am    

Not "Little" Roy yet? Perhaps he shrunk later. Laughing I'll be interested to hear more about this course!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 11:25 am    

I had a Roy Wiggins instruction book. Don't remember if that is the one as it was too long ago (early 50's).
I only had a six string and it was written for 8 string.

Little Roy was my inspiration to play steel. I bought Eddy Arnold records (78's) just to hear Roy.

1971/72 I got to work for my hero (and play rhythm guitar for him) at his "Music City" lower Broadway music store. I was the amp tech.

Aaron Clinton

Calgary, AB
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 1:49 pm    

I thought he always played:

G#
E
C#
B
G#
E
D
B

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 11:33 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I had a Roy Wiggins instruction book. Don't remember if that is the one as it was too long ago (early 50's).
I only had a six string and it was written for 8 string.

Little Roy was my inspiration to play steel. I bought Eddy Arnold records (78's) just to hear Roy.

1971/72 I got to work for my hero (and play rhythm guitar for him) at his "Music City" lower Broadway music store. I was the amp tech.

That's great. From the eBay pic's it looked like six string A tuning, i hope its got some good stuff to learn in it, more than just real basic stuff but I'll run through the course anyways.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2021 9:36 pm    

Well, just home from out of town and the book is here, its geared towards an absolute beginner ( I'm not) or a fan (i am) so i feel happy to have it, its almost like something they would've hawked at one of their shows, very cool. I will probably put up pictures anyhow, its pretty dang homegrown and unique, how many steel guitar greats have a fan book from back in the day?😏