The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb
Jesse Cunningham

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 2:17 pm    

I know the Tone Master amps have been out for a while, but I just picked one up. I'm really impressed with it, especially for doubling up steel and guitar.

I made this little clip. Sorry, it's a little sloppy I was just sort of messing around to test out the DI on the Twin. The MSA is straight in to the reverb channel. The Tele is in the non-verb channel with a Walrus Ages OD and a NUX verb/delay. I'm using a Apogee Duet in to Garageband. I had the cab emulator on the #1 setting (the SM57 emulation I think)

https://youtu.be/UZ6qGAYAmm4

Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 3:10 pm    

Well, that was pretty awesome!

I'm sensing a little James Burton in that Tele solo. Also a little jealous of your steel pickin' Very Happy

Nice job.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 7:58 pm    

Jesse, that was awesome. The Tonemaster sounds better on your MSA than the tele. I use mine double duty too. Where do you have the mids set for the steel?

Jesse Cunningham

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 8:31 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Jesse, that was awesome. The Tonemaster sounds better on your MSA than the tele. I use mine double duty too. Where do you have the mids set for the steel?

Thanks! I just got that Tele, the rosewood doesn’t quite have the same spank as the maple. I just left the same settings I was using for my other guitar, although I like a little darker tone with some hair on it.

For the steel I have the mids set just below 5, treble just above 5 and bass right between 4 and 5. I've also found using the low input is a little "sweeter" sound.

[/img]

Last edited by Jesse Cunningham on 27 Nov 2021 11:21 pm; edited 3 times in total

Jesse Cunningham

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 10:31 pm    

Don Downes wrote:
Well, that was pretty awesome!

I'm sensing a little James Burton in that Tele solo. Also a little jealous of your steel pickin' Very Happy

Nice job.

Thanks a lot Don! James Burton is a hero of mine for sure. I wish I could pull off even 1/100th of the cool stuff he does.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 5:32 am    

Jesse, many thanks for the reply. I'm also a tele guy and have both a maple and a rosewood neck telecasters. I agree on the snappy tone but my preference was always rosewood necks. Have you done the reverb update? It seriously improved the range of usable reverb on 2nd channel. I also use the low input for steel. Post some more when you get it dialed in. What pickup is in your MSA?

Jesse Cunningham

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 8:10 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Jesse, many thanks for the reply. I'm also a tele guy and have both a maple and a rosewood neck telecasters. I agree on the snappy tone but my preference was always rosewood necks. Have you done the reverb update? It seriously improved the range of usable reverb on 2nd channel. I also use the low input for steel. Post some more when you get it dialed in. What pickup is in your MSA?

I did do the update. I’m actually pretty happy with the verb on it, I generally don’t use a ton. I do wish they’d do some optional updates, like a mod for reverb on both channels. I have Telonics X10s in the MSA most of the time (that’s what’s in the video). It’s funny I actually just got an MSA SD10 with a metal neck. I use a 705 in that one most of the time. I really don’t like the 705 in the wood neck guitar, and I don’t like the X10s in the metal neck guitar. It’s funny how stuff reacts.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 8:42 am    

You got that right. Never know until you install it then it either great or oh noooo. I like the 705 in my Justice SD10 and the George L E66 in my Derby SD10. I have an old MSA Classic D10 and the pickups are extremely bright. Not sure what brand they are. Maybe factory jobs.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 10:00 am    

Jesse,
I'd agree that rosewood necks often don't have the same tele spank/sparkle that I am looking for, hence I have always played maple necks. I'd be curious to hear your actual preferred tele tone if you have a recording of it? Everyone's ears and wants are different but there is no "wrong", for sure. Very Happy

Jesse Cunningham

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 10:25 am    

Andy Vance wrote:
Jesse,
I'd agree that rosewood necks often don't have the same tele spank/sparkle that I am looking for, hence I have always played maple necks. I'd be curious to hear your actual preferred tele tone if you have a recording of it? Everyone's ears and wants are different but there is no "wrong", for sure. Very Happy

Oh man, I feel like any given day I’ll change my mind hahahaha. I had a brown panel Pro with a 15 in it. I ran it with an outboard reverb tank. I should’ve never sold that amp. I feel like I’m still chasing that sound. I like just a bit of hair if you dig in, smooth highs, and a thumpy low E. I usually run an OD pedal with the gain more or less off. That tone in the video I posted is really close to what I like. I would’ve scooped the mids a tiny bit and put a few more highs in. I like a really simple set up too. I usually go Tele, OD, Reverb (sometimes delay for bands that do some rockabilly stuff), amp and that’s it.

Jesse Cunningham

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 1:33 pm    

I messed with recording a little more. I dialed my guitar in and had it just where I wanted it. With the DI though, even though it's a really good emulator, the interaction with the speakers aren't the same. I noticed neither my reverb pedal or my OD were as pronounced on the recording as in the room. Also, the bass was a little less pronounced and the highs and mids seem to be a little more pronounced. For me at least, with steel this is less of an issue than it is with guitar. I probably just need to play with it a little more. Here's a little guitar clip I made, I wish I could show what the in room sound was like....it's close, just not quite the same.

https://youtu.be/S_o5UMxxans

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 1:40 pm    

Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to record it again.

Jesse Cunningham

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 1:44 pm    

Andy Vance wrote:
Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to record it again.

No problem, you got me thinking.......and that's always dangerous. Smile

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 1:50 pm    

Yea... kinda like me reading gear reviews! Always dangerous! Shocked

Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 1:51 pm    

Just listened to "How I Got To Memphis" on your channel. I'm a fan,

I would like to ask how you did the video?

BTW, Robin loved it, but said you need to smile Very Happy

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 1:52 pm     Great tone!

And dynamite picking too.

Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 1:58 pm    

For real, Bob.

Jesse Cunningham

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 2:24 pm    

Don Downes wrote:
Just listened to "How I Got To Memphis" on your channel. I'm a fan,

I would like to ask how you did the video?

BTW, Robin loved it, but said you need to smile Very Happy

Haha my mom always says I need to smile, but running video, sound and playing is tough. I’ll send you message to explain how I put those together.