The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone try the newest Peterson StroboStomp HD Pedal Tuner?
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2020 4:07 pm    

I do like the two "in and out" power connections for daisy-chaining ... I use mine with my Benado Steel Dream - so I power it from the Benado and connect it to the Dry Line Out on the back -- The Benado has two power plugs in the back of it too so it's the perfect solution to eliminating any battery changing ! All the other features, as already explained, are awesome.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 3:57 pm    

Folks, I own the strobostomp and I'm quite sure both universal sweetners, namely U12 and P12, have offsets for both open and pedaled notes. One doesn't use P12 for pedaled notes and U12 for open notes which I've heard in an earlier post.
I imagine all the sweetners for PSG are intended to apply to both open and pedaled notes in fact. I can see no logical reason to separate them.

Benjamin Poilve

France
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2021 1:33 am    

I have a little question about those tuners.

Tuning open strings with a sweetened preset is straightforward, but regarding the pedals and lever, do you follow a particular procedure?

Do you tune A and B with A&B down? Do you tune the E# lever with A down? It seems it would affect the tuning due to cabinet drop.

Sorry if this is a basic question, I've tried finding the answer on the forum with no success.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2021 10:48 am    

Jeff Newman recommended holding down both the A and B pedals while tuning each of those pedals using his tuning chart (which is what Peterson PSG sweetened tunings are based off).

And he recommending holding down B and C while tuning C-pedal.

AFAIK, he did not recommend holding down the A-pedal while tuning the E-raise (F lever). But it would be consistent and logical to do so.

However, it actually sounds better if you do not tune it while holding down A-pedal, at least for the times you are using just the E-raise alone for a D7. And tuning it that way, the D major chord is still plenty 'sweetened' (major thirds flat of root).

As always with a sweetened tuning, you have to position the bar a bit to the right of the fret marker to get the A+F major chord intonated with the band. How much? For those who tune full JI, the bar has be almost a quarter of a fret above the fret-line to get the root note in tune with the band. This is normal and you just have to remember to always push the bar a little to the right and trust your ears, not your eyes.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2021 11:37 am    

I use the sweetener setting "SE9" to tune the open strings and the "SP9" to tune the pedals and levers. That's how the settings are designed to work in my understanding.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Benjamin Poilve

France
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 12:01 am    

Thanks for the precise and complete answer Mr Jackson!

I think the crux of my tuning issues (mostly JI right now, but while it sounds good alone, it's a bit trickier with the band) is that while I realized that you needed to go further than the fret using the A+F I did not realized that you had to go that far ! So most of the time, feeling that it sounds wrong, I think that I must have overshoot, take it a little back making it worse.

I tested it this morning, and the difference between "combined pedal and/or lever" tuning and "single pedal or lever" tuning is negligible on my guitar, at least with my current intonation skills. So it seems that I might be overthinking it, both method work well.

I know the strombostomp is a crutch, but one that I am really happy to have right now ! Great little tool.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 10:04 pm    

Has anybody found a way to mount this tuner to your psg leg?

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2023 3:19 pm    

Charley Paul wrote:
Has anybody found a way to mount this tuner to your psg leg?

Check out Triad Orbit.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2023 3:29 pm    

Yup, love mine. I use the Acoustic setting for my martin, the guitar one for my electrics. For Steel, I really like the Emmons tuning. I thought I had a pretty good tuning before that, which I would refine by ear, but I really like the Emmons setting. It's very flat and pure, little to no beats between strings. I need a little more time to geek on the actual "cents" of it, but all I know is that I really like it!

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2023 7:35 pm    

I have the strobostomp but i dont believe its the HD .. whats the difference?