The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E to F knee lever not returning true
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 6:34 am    

The E to F raise on my Williams D10 knee lever
Just started returning a bit sharp on release.
I then have to use me E lower knee lever to return
the open E back in tune. This only happens in the low E.
I’m unsure how to remedy this problem.
Since it’s a raise I’m assuming it’s not a spring
tension problem. Is the solution simply applying a
bit of lubrication? I’m a little hesitant to do so since I’ve
never done so in the past.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 6:42 am    

Have you recently changed strings or done any retuning? Something could be overtuned. A quick call to Bill Rudolph might be in order. He’s very helpful.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 9:31 am    

If you have never lubed your guitar in the past. I would do so. It may not solve your immediate problem, but it is a machine with moving parts and needs periodic lube jobs.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 11:16 am    

Bob, agreed it's probably not the spring.

And since the problem only appears on one of the two strings on that cross-shaft, it's less likely that it's the issue of the cross-shaft sticking where it meets the front or back apron. But wiggle it with your hand anyway to make sure there's a little slack and it can turn freely. It's possible that after a releasing the raise, the 4th string arrives back home a little before the 8th does, and the loss of tension from the 4th is just enough to allow a sticky cross-shaft to stick. The 4th string lands in tune, but not the 8th.

If the cross-shaft has slack and turns freely, that leaves three places where something could be sticking or binding: the changer finger, the roller nut, or the pull rod. Divide and conquer by testing one thing at a time.

You can eliminate the pull rod as the culprit by just pushing on the 8th string changer finger with a screwdriver or pen or something and then releasing it. Press near the tuning nut, but try not to push the nut in as you do this. This raises and lowers the pitch of the 8th string but leaves the entire pull train out of the equation.

If it still returns sharp, it's not the pull train so you've narrowed it down to the changer or roller nut. One drop of lube on each is next. It's a good idea to loosen the 8th string so that any lube you apply from the top on both sides of the changer finger can at least partially seep under the finger to get on the top of the axle.

If that doesn't fix it, you'll want to put one drop on the rivet that holds the scissors together (down in the bowels of the changer) on that 8th string finger. Get some light shining on the subject and use either a long tube or mini-straw, or maybe run the drop down a wire (i.e., a coat hanger) so you can direct the lube directly to the rivet. You don't need to over lubricate or make a mess down in Changer World.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 4:30 pm    

With you saying you have not lubed (oiled) the guitar, That may be the cause of this problem. And beginning of problems as other bearing points become dry of lube.

Check the nut roller, Loosen the problem string (8th), Till you can check the roller, Make sure it rolls free and is lubed.

If you replaced the strings on the guitar, And the problem started, By winding the string more or less wraps on the cap span of the tuner, Changing the angle of the string in the nut roller, It may be making the roller bind in the slot.
Good Luck and back Happy Steelin.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 11:23 am    

i had that on my Williams too - just the 8th string. was caused by me oiling the top of the changer finger (where the string comes over the top). i still oil the top of the finger on a string change - it just takes a couple of days to settle down and stop being special.
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 7:00 am    

Tucker,
That's a great description of trouble shooting the problem. You've covered all the possible causes in order of their likelihood, and eliminated them one by one - that's the way to solve a problem!