R.I.P. PAT MARTINO

Zum D10 8X7 Wineberry 2010.
Emmons SD10 3X8 Black 1994.
Derby D10 8X8 Rosewood 2008.
TowerS SD10 3X5 Imbuia Mica Finish 2018

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 3:23 pm    

Oh, my. A towering figure in jazz guitar. RIP, Pat, truly one of the greatest guitarists to ever play the instrument.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 3:42 pm    

He means so much to me, I’m so sad he has left us. His music and wisdom will be here forever.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 4:52 pm    

A tremendous loss to the world. Born Pat Azzara in Philadelphia, a King among many South Philadelphia jazz guitar legends of Italian heritage. I took one lesson from him in his parents' South Philly row-house back in about 1985. I was sooo obviously outta my league that I didn't even unpack my steel. I just listened to him talk for an hour about mystical aspects of music in general and the guitar in particular, thanked him and paid him for his time, and ran away. But I am very fortunate to have lived in his home town where I could catch him periodically in the local jazz clubs, up close and personal.

And, of course, all jazz steelers know of his huge influence on our own icon, Buddy Emmons.

RIP, Pat Azzara. You made a huge mark in the world and we thank you for all you have shown us and taught us.

https://www.inquirer.com/entertainment/pat-martino-jazz-guitarist-philadelphia-obituary-20211101.html

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 5:43 am    

Sad news. While I never could grasp his thinking on musical concepts, I admired his style and expertise. I purchased several of his albums and watched many of his seminars and shows. A giant in the jazz guitar world. RIP Pat. Your legacy will live on.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 6:34 am    

I saw him at The Main Point, a club on Philadelphia’s main line, long before his brain tumor. He was absolutely brilliant. He will be missed.

rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 8:40 am    

Its a sad day. RIP.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 8:37 pm    

an amazing recovery from his stroke. He had to re-learn everything. That would make him a legend even if he were an average guitar player. But he is among the best
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Jamie Howze

Boise, ID
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2021 8:56 am    

Pat exemplified the phrase "talent does what it can, genius does what it must". R.I.P.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 2:37 pm    

"an amazing recovery from his stroke"

It was actually more complicated than a stroke. He was diagnosed with both bipolar and schizophrenia. He had electro shock and then they operated and removed parts of this brain. When he woke from the operation, he didn't know his parents or who he was. He had no knowledge or interest in guitar. His father kept playing his records for him over and over in his room until he got back interested.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 2:46 pm    

Bill, I've never heard that said before. I have always heard that it was an aneurysm. Are you sure?

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 10:14 am    

The whole story is in this fascinating film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ2FyXZwg9E

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 2:20 pm    

one of the greats. i heard him live several times and enjoyed speaking with him. the best thing he ever told me...."bill...the guitar is just a F...ing piece of wood". Winking RIP pat m

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 3:09 pm    

Jim, he was misdiagnosed multiple times. the final cause of the seizures, and the misdiagnosed schizophrenia and bipolar was a brain tumour. The removal of the brain tumor was what caused his memory loss. At least that is what I read.

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2021 5:33 am    

An incredible life he had, certainly one of the most remarkable musicians of our era...

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 10:12 am    

I will sure miss Pat. Listen to him all through the 70's & 80's. I still occasionally put on one of the many CD's i have of his.

Lauren Broido

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 10:46 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
I saw him at The Main Point, a club on Philadelphia’s main line, long before his brain tumor. He was absolutely brilliant. He will be missed.

I used to see him there as well. He would have two Twin amps on stage. Did you own McCloskey's bar?

Lauren Broido

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 10:50 pm    

Jeremy Threlfall wrote:
an amazing recovery from his stroke. He had to re-learn everything. That would make him a legend even if he were an average guitar player. But he is among the best

I met him after the stroke when he was living at his Dad's house in New Jersey. I was working for a music publisher in PA and we were re-doing Dennis Sandole's book, Guitar Lore. Dennis asked me to ask Pat for a quote which one can still see in the book if its still in print. He could barely talk. I saw him some years later when Tyrone Brown asked me to come to a performance in a small theater at Temple University in North Philly. He was beyond brilliant. It was his 6-piece straight ahead jazz band. It was so good I was crying. I went to see him and Tyrone after and one would never have known he had ever had a stroke.