The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Please Close
Patrick Lyons

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2021 6:27 pm    

Please close, thanks

Last edited by Patrick Lyons on 2 Dec 2021 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2021 6:36 pm    

Those old Sperzels were notorious for getting stiff and locking up. Beware of any used ones. They probably have the same issues and there are no new ones like those.

The grease gets dry and hard in those machines. Some players say they have decent results with disassembling and re-lubing them, but was not my experience.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 7:14 am    

Pardon for belaboring the issue as I'm not accustomed to posting on folks' classified ads, but I'm hoping you will find something helpful in this recent thread re: Sperzel tuners of that model.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=359914&highlight=sperzel+tuners

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2021 6:12 am    

Lots of history on these SPERZEL TUNERS from the era. Wish it was GOOD history, the SKH is a great Instrument !

Several forum threads are available search SPERZEL TUNERS

and hold on !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2021 9:19 am    

I recently went through this with my Dekley tuners. Ron at Sperzel is great to work with and has great replacements. You can order singles (specify bass or treble side) or a set. They are the the Sperzel “medium body” PSG tuners. I never saw them on the regular guitar parts sites but they were a perfect replacement.

My Dekley didn’t us the “alignment pin” so I removed it with pliers and installed; it’s just a common “roll pin”.

Tom

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 12:30 am    

Tom, are these replacement tuners for the large body tuners from the 80's era, which are the topic of discussion ? If so That would be good news for many players that have Emmons, Sho Buds etc... that have those Large Body tuners on their instruments. Just a year or two back, Sperzel didn't offer any direct replacements for those.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 2:11 am    

I know Sperzel still makes tuners for pedal steels. But I'm not at all confident they make that specific tuner for the SKH LeGrande.

I posted most of this diatribe on the thread Jerry linked earlier - definitely look that one over - but I'll repeat here. I had a SKH LeGrande on which the orignal Sperzels had been replaced by Grovers. Of course, this was a kluge - to fit them onto that headstock, the previous owner cut off the stem with the screw hole, so there was no anchor. The tuners swiveled around a bit if put under pressure, but basically worked. Still, it was a kluge and I wanted it right.

I called Sperzel to see if they could provide a replacement for the SKH tuners. I actually talked to Bob Sperzel. Seemed like a nice guy, told me that some years ago a guy named Buddy Emmons asked him the same thing, he'd see what he could do. After regaling me for about 5-10 minutes about how far superior Sperzels were to any other tuner out there, he took my email and phone number and said he'd get back to me. I never heard a thing. I tried calling back, never could get back to Bob, or get anybody else to even give me an answer yea or nay. This was over 10 years ago. Maybe they've reissued those SKH tuners since then. That would surprise me, but I really don't know.

Last year I got an '84 Zum U12. Of course, it had old Sperzels on it. They're stiff, luckily they still turn, more or less. I imagine I could improve them some with work - I'm still working on the guitar. But I think I have lucked out - Bruce Zumsteg has some NOS Sperzels for ZumSteels that look like they're gonna fit - haven't gotten them yet, but I'm pretty confident I'm good to go. Very Happy

This is the thread where Bruce is selling these - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=375605. However, I'm not at all sure the body of these is short enough to fit on a SKH LeGrande. But it might be worth your while to measure the body length of what's on your SKH and see if the ones Bruce has might work. Maybe worth a shot.

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 3:24 pm    

The tuner looks like this (string 10). Shape-wise, not exact but most important to me was that it fits perfectly in the recessed Dekley tuner stock, or key head. The best way would be to replace all for an exact match but this was an experiment to see if there was a suitable replacement for the Dekley mounting situation.

The tuners come with an alignment pin but was not needed for this recessed mount (it can’t pivot once tightened down). From what I can see on the OP’s guitar, I imagine that the alignment pin is probably used to prevent pivoting of the tuner body.

Tom

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 3:36 pm    

Hopefully, this is also helpful. Not sure if it fits the guitar but if it does, great!

Tom

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 3:48 am     Sperzel tuners

Sperzel does sell replacement tuners, but not a specific set for pedal steel. I have purchased individual tuners from them before to replace them on SKH Emmons guitars I had. (I have 2 SKH guitars right now). I specified right and left (bass and treble strings) for orientation. Anyway, the traditional style of tuners they sell are called the "solid pro" tuners. They have 3 different lengths of posts for the keyheads. The specs can be found at https://www.tkinstruments.com/id75.htm Scroll down on the left and there is an "Installation and Specs" that you can open up to see the diagram. The tuners I purchased fit the keyheads of my guitars perfectly as I replaced Sperzels with Sperzels. The footprint is the same with the locating pin. I hope this helps.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 9:30 am    

Mr. Z has some for ya:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=375605

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"