The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NorCal steel jam & chris ivey memorial, Sat March 26, 2022
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2021 8:02 pm    

UPDATED 3/21/22:

It's coming up this Saturday, March 26, 2022, the Sacramento/NorCal steel jam and chris ivey memorial at The Side Door in Curtis Park, 2900 Franklin Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95818 (the SW corner of Franklin & 4th Ave). See the note below about load-in and parking. The jam will be held from around noon until 4:00 or 5:00 depending on how much energy and enthusiasm there is. Pedal steel, lap steel, dobro, all are welcome. We'll be using Band-In-A-Box tracks through the house PA system, I will have a fairly broad selection of BIAB tracks on hand so I think the plan will be to post a list of tunes that attendees can choose from or vote on. It's looking like we might have a pretty big turnout, which will be fun, but it's a bit of an unknown as to how many tunes we'll actually be able to get to. I'm looking forward to the gathering itself as much the playing, and will be focused first and foremost on keeping everything moving smoothly, directing traffic, etc.

For those of you who want to stick around (or come back), there will be an evening performance around 7:00 hosted by John Green and his band the Sidedooros to remember departed local steel comrade and SGF's favorite antagonist, chris ivey. This will be a free event for all, John says that's how chris would have wanted it. The band will include a handful of chris' local steel buddies as well as several guest performers who worked with chris over the years. It will be fairly loose and informal, music and stories, we'll celebrate the triumphs and the train-wrecks equally! Should be a lot of fun.

LOAD-IN and PARKING: The Side Door is right at the edge of a residential neighborhood so parking is a little sparse right at the venue. There is plenty of parking within the surrounding few blocks, on Franklin Blvd and some of the side streets, so with that in mind we will try to reserve a spot in front of the entrance as a loading zone so folks can drop their gear before parking and won't have to schlep it too far. The entrance we will be using is on the side of the building (yes, the actual Side Door), it's the big blue door facing 4th Ave, next to the barber shop.

Also worth mentioning that there will not be any food or beverages available at the venue, but there is nice little beer garden/pizza place right next door on Franklin (in the same building), another place two blocks up, or you can of course just bring your own provisions.

Feel free to share this with others who may be attending. We're looking forward to seeing some old friends and meeting some new ones, so even if players just want to come, hang out and mingle without bringing their rigs, that's cool too. Looking forward to seeing you all Saturday!

Last edited by Ian Worley on 23 Mar 2022 8:46 pm; edited 8 times in total

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 5:24 am    

Nice idea, Ian. I'm on the wrong side of the country to make it, but I'm all for remembering my friend, Chris. (who will ever forget Chris Pissedofferson?!)

For anyone not familiar with Chris, here's a clip of him playing "Just Because" with "Vikki and the Pinecones" and Albert Lee guesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsT2x1J7yJs

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 5:48 am    

Ian (and Jeff), you just brightened my day! I prolly won't be there but I'm good for a ticket or two.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 11:42 am    

bumping this up. Not much (or any) enthusiasm from the locals here, is this a dumb idea? I've spoken with two other folks who've said let's do it, just hoping to get some more feedback from y'all

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 1:27 pm    

Ian, I would love to attend. I've been in a "steel vacuum" for a while, with other the "other" career and covid stuff . I would be great to get together with other steelers in our fine state.

A Saturday afternoon would be great for folks that need to travel a bit.

Tom Jordan

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 3:09 pm    

Dear Chris. A man of great dignity and sardonic humor. I miss his wit greatly.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 3:21 pm    

Missin' Chris here as well, have a great time!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Steve French

Roseville CA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 10:15 pm    

I’m definitely in to participate. Many years ago, a Forum member named Bill Llewellyn organized a series of jams in San Jose. He used a church community room that was large enough to accommodate dozens of steelers, and it was a blast. Our fearless leader here Bob Lee was a regular attendee, as were many other well-known Forum members. Jim Baron from Madera brought his BIAB tracks and a small PA. He had what seemed like hundreds of steel guitar standards – country, swing, and jazz standards.

We always had 20-30 steel guitars in a circle, and each player in the circle got a chorus or two of Crazy Arms, Swinging Doors, All of Me, Take The A Train, whatever. It was kind of a group decision as to what track we used next, and you could easily sit out or take a break if you weren’t comfortable with a tune. We had players from all over California at the time, players like Frank Carter, David Wright, David Phillips, Charlie Jo Wallace, JD, Bobby B, Mike Perlowin, Rich Sinkler, Al Vescovo, and many others. I got to meet and see up close everyone’s set-up, amp settings, guitars and pickups. It was a friendly, collegial atmosphere, and everyone was willing and happy to talk steel guitar. There were a couple of beginners, but everyone was supportive. Bill organized 4 or 5 of these annual Saturday afternoon events, and the only ones I missed were because of a gig conflict.

I looked forward to it every year, and I would love to see something similar in the Sacramento area. A live band as backing sounds like a challenge – it takes a special rhythm section to WANT to play 30 choruses of Crazy Arms. And someone needs to lead. Bob was good at directing traffic, discouraging everyone from noodling during others’ solos. But I’m in, whatever the circumstances. Make it in late February or early March, before Saturday afternoon gigs start happening.

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 8:20 am    

Interested

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 12:44 pm    

Hi Kevin, thanks, I hope you can make it, would be nice to meet you. So far about 9 or 10 folks have expressed interest directly, I'll be seeing both Steve F. and Joe Y. on Sun and hope to discuss some details, live band vs. BIAB tracks, date/time and other logistics.

Still hoping to hear from the rest of you out there. Some of the Sac region folks mentioned in another thread: Dave Wren, Bill Bergren, Pete Grant, Jon Jimmerson, Aaron Shively, Joe Carlson, Barry Anderson, Tom Phelps, others?, let us know what you think. Bay Area folks too!

Hugo Knef

Vallejo , California
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 3:28 pm    

Ya I’m in. I’m just down the road in Vallejo.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 1:53 pm    

Hugo Knef wrote:
Ya I'm in. I'm just down the road in Vallejo.

Hi Hugo, good to hear from you, I hope you can make it. I've updated the original post with some more details:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3047942#3047942. Tentatively aiming for March 19, 2022. UPDATE: Sat March 26, 2022

Last edited by Ian Worley on 28 Dec 2021 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 5:18 pm    

Ian,

You can count me in for the jam and I’ll look forward to seeing the memorial show.

Tom

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 5:47 pm    

Sounds good. I'll plan on bein there in March. Any of you guys playing out anywhere?

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 6:25 pm    

I would attend the jam but I have a private party gig in the Bay Area with an early load in time (3pm). Gigs 4 months out are never 100% certain. We'll see what happens.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 3:01 pm    

Dang, I’m booked already 😢

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 4:49 pm    

A Sunday would be better for most guys playing gigs.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2021 2:28 pm    

The Fifth String space is generally not available during the day on Sundays, but perhaps we can make other arrangements, if not for this, then next time. One of the local Eagles Halls came up as a possible option, we'll check into it. Would love have you both there, Paul and Dave.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, starting to feel like there is a little momentum building to get this off the ground. Looking forward to it!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2021 2:28 pm    

See the OP for updated info: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3047942#3047942

Confirmed date is Saturday March 26, 2022 at the Side Door

Steve French

Roseville CA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 9:04 am    

I’ve got it on the calendar and will plan to attend, schedule permitting. Looking forward to it, should be a fun hang!

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 1:08 pm    

March 26th is good right now, but paying gigs take priority, of course.

Songs that come to mind, most anything by Bob Wills. Faded Love, Jambalaya, San Antonio Rose, etc.

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2022 8:56 am    

In the mean time where y'all gigging at? Would like to come hear some of youz

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2022 11:03 am    

Hi Kevin, happy new year. I've been playing out a lot lately, but almost all of my gigs since covid have been on bass, not steel. Maybe that's why this jam seems like a good idea! I know there are a lot of local steelers who are playing out fairly regularly, Steve French, Paul Sutherland, Joe Ybarra, Bill Bergren, others.

Jim Hankins

Yuba City, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2022 5:07 pm    

Hi Ian, yes I am interested and would like to check it out. thanks Jim

Brett Bonner

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2022 10:00 pm    

Hi Ian. I’d like to join if non pedal is okay.