Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Players in Sacramento CA
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 9:07 am    

Who is still picking around here?

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 11:46 am    

Ian Worley is in Sacramento. I know theres two or three more but do not know their names. Dave Wren, Paul Sutherland and Pete Grant are close to Sac...

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 2:39 pm    

I think Bill Bergren is in Elk Grove.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 3:00 pm    

Forum search, there's lots, just put in Sac, Roseville Davis or whatever you need

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/members.php

(I need an Emmons too!)

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 11:03 pm    

Hi Tom, I think there are a lot of steelers hereabouts if you include the surrounding areas, a few that I've met in person, a few like you who I've only spoken with on the phone, many I only know by name or from the forum, and probably many more I'm not yet aware of. I guess I have no idea what's changed since the zombie apocalypse, or who is actually playing out at the moment though. All my post-covid gigs so far have been on bass.

You probably know all the guys Dave mentioned, Pete Grant plays around a lot in the foothills, he had a a semi-regular thing at Friar Tuck's in Nevada City, not sure if that's come back. Paul Sutherland was playing with a couple of bands, Lonesome West and Locked 'n Loaded. I think Bill Bergren took David Wren's spot in the Random Strangers.

I believe you've also met Joe Carlson, he lives up in Grass Valley now. Aaron Shively plays with the Golden Cadillacs, Steve French plays with Buck Ford. Ray Elsey is another, he had a band called the Red Rose Ranch Band, played with the Twilight Drifters and others, not sure what he's doing nowadays. I spoke with John Green from the 5th String last week, he has a classic country band with a steel player I haven't met named Joe Ybarra, they have a show coming up the Side Door in a couple of weeks. I've never gotten to meet Kevin Quick either, not sure if he's playing out. Many others I think, maybe some of them will chime in.

Perhaps you should organize a big steel jam up in Ione sometime like they do in Portland! Maybe we could get Dave Z to come up too Wink

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 3:59 am    

Ian Worley wrote:

Perhaps you should organize a big steel jam up in Ione sometime like they do in Portland! Maybe we could get Dave Z to come up too Wink

First Annual chris ivey Celebration Fest?

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 8:04 am    

Ray was playing w Red Rose Ranch when I 1st took up the steel in the early 70's in Davis. As I recall, he also scatted w the band while playing.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 9:29 am    

Jon Jimmerson, Larry Tracy, Tom Phelps. There is no shortage of players.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 10:47 am    

Frank Freniere wrote:
...First Annual chris ivey Celebration Fest?

I like that idea Frank! (and your attention to detail) So I'm nominating chris' ol' buddy Tom to organize this.

Seriously, are any of you local steelers up for something like that? Would be like a controlled train wreck. Could be a lot of fun.

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 2:37 pm    

Since this is a post on the Sacramento players, any of you remembers the past steel pickers in the 80's, a guy by the name of Murrey Labonate? He played in and around Sacramento for a number of years.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 2:45 pm    

Larry Tracy is in Nevada City, not sure if he's playing much right now.

Jeff Worms

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 9:59 pm    

Wow guys! Shocked to see this post about steel’rs in Sacramento! I’m a casual Steel Guitar Forum member, and a relatively new Steel Guitar player, would love to meet more players in real life! Get that jam put together! We should hang out!

I’ll watch this post and hope to meet some of the Sacramento (and surrounding area) guys in the future

Jeff

Barry Anderson

Nevada City, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 7:51 am    

As someone curious about the jams I've read about, but not enough to travel to Portland or San Diego to attend one, I'm definitely interested. Maybe Joe and I could carpool.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2021 5:08 pm    

Back in the 70's and probably before, Jimmie Foxx was the best, although he didn't win popularity contests. Since then, I haven't heard that anyone is better than Pete Grant. And it was probably Vance Terry in the '50s, although he moved around a lot. Not trying to start a pissing contest, but rather just shining a light on some Sacto steel history.

Joe

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2021 11:56 am    

I posted something in the "Events" section a short while back about organizing a steel jam here in Sac early next year. Perhaps some of you local players can share some feedback?

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3049811

Hugo Knef

Vallejo , California
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 3:23 pm    

I’m just down the road in Vallejo. I’m down for a steel jam for sure.