The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Fortune arrangements in Springfield IL
Gary Sill

Mt. Zion, IL, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2021 7:44 am    

Joe’s son , Mike just called me today to say Joe has passed unexpectedly. Joe was an excellent musician, steel player, bass player and a great friend.

Mike Fortune has relayed that services will be this coming thursday with a mass at the Catholic Cathedral ( 524 E Lawrence) here in Springfield , IL at 930am, then the visitation will be from 11am-12 ( immediately following) at Butler Funeral Home, 900 S.6th St., Springfield, IL.
A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman Mandolin

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 11:42 pm    

This one really hurts.
I've known Joe Fortune for at least 40 years. He (like most) was a huge Buddy Emmons fan.

Joe was my first instructor for Pedal Steel Guitar when (after college) I started PSG lessons in the early 80's at Spibb's Music in Riverton, IL (and then later) in Springfield, IL.
As a child, I had taken lap steel lessons in Decatur, IL...... but Pedal Steel Guitar was a new adventure.

Even after I relocated to Missouri, Joe and I always kept in touch and were able to attend numerous BE seminars, Jeff Newman seminars, Scotty's Christmas Parties, and ISGCs thru the years.

Joe loved the C6th tuning and was always available to assist me with C6th chord structure, chord patterns, voicings & turnarounds.

I'm so glad our musical and personal paths were able to intersect.

I'll definitely miss Joe Fortune and remember him every time I sit behind a steel guitar.

Ron Funk

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 4:10 pm    

A sad day for sure. I didn't know him personally but was aware of his presence in the steel community. My condolences and prayers for Joe and his family.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2021 2:31 am    

I am sorry to hear this sad news about Joe Fortune. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and talking with him about steel guitars and steel players. He really loved the instrument and I always enjoyed our conversations. My condolences go out to all of his family and friends. He will be dearly missed by everyone who knew him.