The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Neo Speaker For 65 Twin Custom 15
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2021 2:50 pm    

Bought a used Fender 65 Reissue Twin Reverb Custom 15. Those Fender 15 inch JBL cloned speaker, are heavy speakers. I know Twins are heavy amps, but I really think 15 inch Neo speaker would make the weight a lot more tolerable. Anyone have any recommendations on a good Neo speaker, that would work well in that amp?

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2021 3:54 pm    

If it was my amp I'd try the Travis Toy 15. I briefly had an Eminence eps 15 and didn't like it. Same for a Telonics 15. There is also the Eminence Wheelhouse 15 that gets good reviews, but I believe it only comes in 8 ohms. That's not really a deal breaker, but I'd still try the TT 15 first.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2021 9:24 pm    

I've been thinking about a lighter weight speaker for my '65 Twin Custom 15 too, I'd be real interested in what folks have to say! Winking

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 12:49 pm    

Dean..I really like the Sica 15" speakers. I purchased one of the steel amps that Ken Fox was building a few years back and this was his speaker of choice. Very lightweight at less than 7# and sound as good if not better than various other major brands of neo speakers that I have experimented with.

P.M. sent.

Last edited by David Nugent on 21 Nov 2021 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 4:14 pm    

I’ve decided that I’m going to take the JBL M31 out of my LTD 400, and put it in the Fender. The speaker in the Fender, is a good 8.5 lbs heavier, than the JBL. The amp has wheels, and I don’t have to haul it around, so really, the weight is not that big of issue. But, I do think the JBL will be an improvement, plus, 8.5 lbs lighter..

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 7:40 pm    

Weber NeoMag is another option. 8 lbs. Rated @ 75W available in 4,8 or 16 ohm models, options for paper or alu dust cap, and type of edge surround to mimic types of D130 cones.

I've heard several players that I respect say these are too bright.

I always defer to the pros and experts, but I have a couple in TubeWorks cabs that sound pretty darn good to me.

You might want to read some of the reviews to see if they might suit.

Occasionally, a used one will show up here or on reverb.com at a reasonable cost.

https://www.tedweber.com/neomag15/

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 9:44 am    

So I'm wondering...Anyone know the weight of the '65 Twin Custom 15's factory speaker? How much weight could be saved by a swap?

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 11:07 am    

Dave,
Someone else can chime in as it’s been years since I sold my amp. But I believe the speaker was in the 26 lbs weight range. I’d actually like to find one for a speaker cabinet I have. Weight isn’t a factor.
Dave 🙂

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 1:35 pm    

It’s the same speaker that they used in the Steel King. They weigh a little over 23 pounds. A Black Widow speaker is around 17 pounds, and my old JBL is about 15 pounds. Most NeoMag speakers, weigh around 7 pounds, give or take a little. So, a Neo speaker would definitely make a noticeable difference.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2021 5:14 pm     Jbl

Dean; I have divided my Twins, into split cabinets so I can house any combination of a Twin, Dual Showman , Vibrosonic etc. in conjunction with a single 15 or 2/12 cabinet but the speakers I chose were Eminence PF-350 or PF-400 and they sound great and are manageable to transport.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 4:40 am    

4 ohm nominal speaker impedance is mandatory for any TR circuit. A higher impedance load will eventually take out your OT or worse. Seriously, don't mess around unless you can afford such an expensive and inconvenient adventure.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 12:59 pm    

Hi Dave; Thanks for the Heads up. I'll keep an eye ( and nose ) on it in case it starts smelling..otherwise it sounds really good!

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 3:29 pm    

Once the magic smoke escapes it's really hwrd to put it back