Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2021 1:26 pm    

Tube-fex installation instructions

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2021 1:42 pm    

I hit submit too quick.
I have a Peavy Tube-Fex that I haven't used in years.
I decided I would hook it up and play with it.

#1, I don't even remember how to hook it up to my Evans amp.
Does the steel cord go from the guitar into the front panel input and then to the amp from one of the output jacks on the rear? Where does the volume pedal come in?

#2, when I powered it on, the green light display isn't working. Just flashing gibberish.

I left the ram card in there all this time. Did I corrupt the ram card or is it the Tube-Fex itself?

Is the unit not working or is the ram card not working? I hate to loose all the Newman presets.

Any help apreciated.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 8:56 am     battery

Probably worst case the battery leaked on the circuit board. You should pull the top cover and check for sure

The on board battery that does eventually leak is likely dead as well, thus wiping the user settings.

You can try to reinitialize to see if it works. If so your very lucky!

Use “DOWN” and “RIGHT” arrows/cursors for Session2000, Transtubefex, Tubefex and Transtubefex.). Hold both down and apply power.

Unit will say "MEMORY INITIALIZED TO FACTORY SETTINGS"

After that you can reload from the card, if it is not dead as well

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 9:00 am    

Loading Presets from the cartridge: (loads presets from the card to the user presets in the Profex)

Cartridge presets may be recalled individually from the cartridge to the edit buffer, or ALL presets may be LOADED to USER preset memory by using the LOAD function on the SAVE User->Cart [CART] menu. This function also writes PROGRAM BANK C (RAM cartridge presets) to PROGRAM BANK A (user presets bank), converting all pointers to CARTRIDGE PRESETS into pointers to USER PRESETS in the process.

Cartridge battery:

The cartridge has a replaceable backup battery, which maintains the memory while the cartridge is removed from the unit or the unit is turned off. The battery will last 2 to 5 years, depending on the model. If the battery becomes low, the unit will warn you by periodically displaying the following screen:

CAUTION
Cart. Battery Low

Note: If this message is displayed you should back up your cartridge memory immediately (unless the presets are already in you user memory), then replace the battery. After replacing the battery, the card can be reinitialized and USER presets from Bank A will be written back to the card. The battery is a common lithium battery, model CR-2016. These can be purchased at Radio Shack or most any photo/electronics counter in a variety store. Replacement is very easy. A small plastic holder holds the battery in the card.

Hold the card in your hand, with the metal protector down in the palm of your hand. Look closely at the top, left edge of the card. You will see a very tiny slot running left to right along the face of the card edge, about 3/8” long. Insert your fingernail in the slot and pull with an outward motion. The battery and holder will come out of the card. Note the polarity, the battery positive is upwards, towards the face of the card, opposite of the metal protector side of the card.

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 10:33 am    

Ken, thanks for the reply.
I pulled the top off the unit and I don't see any battery leakage. however, I also don't see a battery inside the tube-fex?
I see a couple of fuses one of which doesn't appear to have anything in it?

I also don understand the "Cache card 32" instructions.
Holding the card in hand with the face up (Peavey logo at the top right hand)and the strip at the bottom laying against your hand, there is a small switch at the top right hand side of the card. This switch moves back and forth appearing to turn something off and on.
Is this what you are talking about to get to the cartridge battery?

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 11:19 am    

Ken, the unit hasn't been plugged in or powered up for several years. I looked online at Peaveys user manual looking for the inside battery and it occurred to me that the internal battery may just need charged.

Anyway, there are no Peavey service repairs near Tulsa Oklahoma so I'll probably have to send it to Peavey for repair and I've asked for instructions to accomplish same.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 2:44 pm    

That is the Write Protect switch
Did you try to reinitialize the Tubefex?

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 8:12 pm    

Ken, I'll try the reinitialization tomorrow. Let you know if it works. Thanks.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 11:19 pm    

Watching….

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 7:17 am     battery

Peavey seems to have made two kind of batteries, the ones that have leaked and the ones that will leak eventually. When they do the damage can be non repairable

Here is what the battery would looks like:

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 7:19 am    

Ken, the reinitialization worked. I inserted the RAM card and its reading the C mode and all the Newman pre-set are there.

Thank you so much. Your help and instructions were invaluable.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 7:24 am    

Great news. Keep an eye on the battery

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2021 7:25 am    

Guess I am lucky as I didn't have any battery damage. Thanks for the picture. Now I know where the battery is. There wasn't any damage as shown.

I checked the serial number to get a build date and it appears the unit could be 20 years old. There are two round stickers on the unit indicating it was checked/tested in 00 and 04.
I can't believe I've had the unit that long. I purchased it new.
Thanks again for your help and assistance and taking the time to assist me.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2021 6:15 am    

I'm sure Ken advised you about removing the battery for good. If not you should contact him and replace the memory chip he sells to eliminate the battery.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2021 5:46 am    

The battery is like a time bomb in these units.
They all leak eventually. When they do it can render the unit unrepairable