The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Right-hand advice for a new player?
Todd Snelgrove

Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 8:53 am    

Hi all,

I'm about two months into my PSG journey/obsession and I just had an epiphany; I've been holding my right hand all wrong. I guess.

I just noticed yesterday that I've been tucking my RH pinky and ring finger into a little two-finger fist. I suppose that's dregs from a lifetime of six-stringing, but regardless it certainly made palm-blocking seem like an impossible dream. Then I happened to notice a photo in my method book and the guy has those two fingers extended out across the strings. I tried it and instantly found string blocking was now way, way more possible. Not like I'm doing it very well or anything, but holding my hand this way makes it seem possible at least.

Though I can see (and somewhat feel) the advantage of holding my ring and pinky finger extended out like that it sure is taking up a lot of mental energy when I practise - which is fine; I'll get used to it. But now I'm noticing that I've started "holding" the edge of the pickup with my straightened pinky finger. When I drop down to grab a low string-set (10-8-6) the pinky jumps down and presses into the 2nd string but for the most part my pinky fingertip is kind of "grasping" the far edge of the pickup. My ring finger still wants to curl back so while it is generally extended out it's also half-bent.

This is all a-okay with me and sort of feels like it might even be the "proper" thing to do but if it isn't, I'd sure love for someone to tell me now, before I get too used to it.

Funny, but those two non-playing fingers don't seem to get much attention in the Pedal-Steel-for-Beginners material that I'm coming across, though I suspect what I do with them will heavily affect my playing next week, next month, and next year.

Can any of you offer some advice on those two fingers?

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 9:14 am    

I still consider myself a relative beginner on psg, even though I’ve been playing for about 3 years at this point. Right hand positioning will get more comfy over time, and you may even find that those ring and pinky fingers eventually tuck themselves back down….I use them curled under for blocking, along with pick blocking using my thumb, 1st and middle fingers. I find the curled pinky and ring finger especially useful for chimes. I block the string with the front of those fingers and then pluck the harmonica with my picking fingers.

I would like to recommend The Paul Franklin Method as an online course. He talks in great detail about right hand position and blocking, along with everything else. I highly recommend signing up for a year. I also think it’s worth it to do the full Method, not just his foundation courses.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 9:38 am    

Read through this thread
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=323447
There are some great links to videos, pictures, and other information on right hand technique.

It is hard to say if you’re technique is right or wrong or somewhere in the middle without a video. I believe most players’ right hand approach evolves over time based on what kind of music they play, how they block, and what outside influences have the most profound effect on them. But, a solid principled foundation is definitely important to RH development.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 2:57 pm     Right Hand proper Working.

I have been playing a Steel Guitar since 1955, but I played it incorrectly, for most of that time.

Last year, I watched a Joe Wright Video & & felt like QUITTING.... Joe, in a few moments, brought it to my attention, that I have been wasting valuable time.

Time is valuable in many ways, but not as valuable as it is to a PSG player.

In a few moments I watched Joe Wright demonstrate how important it was to keep your picking fingers close to the strings, during your performance.

After just a few minutes of practice, errors we're none existent. Hallelujah, I'm in love again....

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 3:04 pm    

I have been playing about 2 1/2 years, I strongly recommend taking a look at Joe Wrights 32moves. You can buy it on his website or the Sierra guitar site has some of it for free on their website. I struggled so much with blocking, I spent months on his 32 different combinations and it has been one of the most important things I have done.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 3:53 pm    

I tend to tuck those two fingers under loosely but I do sometimes stick my pinky out a bit.
The trick is to be firm yet relaxed, whatever you do. Don’t tense up. It is a waste of your energy.
Different people do it differently but they are ALL relaxed!

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 4:49 pm     Douggy plays a great Guitar

I see that Doug plays a Sierra, way to go Doug...me too.!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2021 6:50 pm    

Lotta good "tuckers" out there, but it's probably about a 50/50 split with the extended fingers (ring, pinky, or both) from what I've seen. Ergonomically, it's probably also less stressful to tuck them, since the "normal resting" position for the hand is all fingers curled. My right hand form is identical to Tommy White's, but it don't move like his! Whoa!

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2021 1:25 pm    

Hi Todd, There is no right or wrong way as far as right hand position is concerned. And, that includes where the 2 fingers(ring & pinky) lie. We're all different so what works for 1 may not work for another. Since you're only 2 months into this, you're still finding and discovering what may or may not work for you, technique wise. Lots of experimentation needs to happen to find what works best for you. And, I can tell you from someone who has played for 40 years now, my right hand technique(and other techniques regarding the instrument) has(have) evolved. The more you learn musically on the instrument, the more you may need to alter or slightly change your right hand position(technique) to accommodate. Someone posted a picture of Tommy White with his 2 fingers curled under. Sometimes he does play like that but if you watch videos of him playing, he sometimes extends his pinky and/or ring fingers, all depending on what he's playing at the time. Also, it's been mentioned to use a relaxed hand position and I couldn't agree more. Many years ago I developed a cyst on my right wrist because of a nerve issue in my shoulder that happened because of tension. No matter what right hand position you decide on, it should be relaxed with no discomfort or pain.

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2021 4:55 pm    

This is almost as controversial a subject as tuning, haha. However I subscribe to the Franklin and Toy camps, which is similar to what Newman taught, which was to imagine holding a tennis ball in your hand while playing. Take a look at Franklins right hand here: https://youtu.be/XFumqjf8dRs

Todd Snelgrove

Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2021 9:59 am    

Thanks for all the comments and advice everyone, I really appreciate it. There's a lot to digest, especially when I include the linked thread about Buddy Emmons' right hand technique. I'm considering looking into either the Franklin or Wright methods, but until then I guess I'll just keep practising and experimenting.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2021 3:03 pm    

I started playing non-pedal steel being a "bar-blocker" (lifting the bar to kill the tone).. which tends to create a "kiss"-sound when the bar touches the strings again. It's too slow to play fast.
I don't know WHO started picking-hand blocking and when, but it was long before me Very Happy
So, I relearned when I got into pedals in the early 90's.

Now, after almost 20 years off steel, I decided 3 things in steps:
1- I would MAINLY pick-block
2- I added a 3rd finger pick
3- I am now playing without finger picks all together (just a thumb pick + 3 fingers).

I bought ALL of Joe Wrights picking courses and also got Paul Franklin's whole course (which I highly recommend because PF was always called a "Pick-Blocker" and he sets the record straight on that).

IF you are set on E9th only, I would not suggest a 3rd (ring-) finger. IF you are going to take C6th for JAZZ and Bebop seriously, I would.
I think that Joe Wright's technique is WORTH 3 months intensive practice.
I say 3 months, because it took me 3 months to get used to a 3rd picking finger, 3 months to pick block (mainly, but not exclusively) and I am entering on my 2nd month of playing without finger picks (and in the 1987 Christmas Video presently being floated around, Buddy Emmons stated it too him... you guessed right!... 3 months to "get over the hill" playing without picks.

While I do NOT suggest anybody "should" go "pick-less", I will say this.
Picking without pics requires very short trimmed finger nails. Finger nails will not withstand the abrasiveness of steel strings strung as hard as on a PSG. The picking occurs with the finger tip. And yes, I went thru blister bubbles, skin flaking and now am growing hard skin just like I used to grow on my left hand playing standard steel string guitar... and THAT helps with tone.

So, GET some GOOD technical courses (PF & JW) and give each GOOD technique at least 3 months... and only once you develop proficiency over a technique you make your own. After all, as the hand positions and techniques of the Greats prove, we don't all have the same hands.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

David Dorwart

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2021 3:03 pm    

I’ve tried curling the ring finger but that finger instinctively wants to get in the game and start picking at the strings when I do. Perhaps from years of playing banjo with the ring and little finger outstretched and anchored to the banjo head for me it’s more natural on the steel to retain that hand shape and use those fingers as true anchors. I actually grab the top string with the pinky and rest the ring finger on the edge of the fretboard. Billy Cooper told me he uses the ring finger, curled under as a guide for hand placement but it wasn’t natural for me so I didn’t pursue it. I’d probably do it that way if I was just starting out

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2021 1:24 pm    

When I re-learned to block from bar-blocking to right hand, I did it like BE... with the pinky pointed out. I thought that was the way it had to be done from pictures I had seen... I did however not curl it under the top strings.
It was Maurice Anderson who asked me "why" and pointed to the obvious fact that my hand seemed all cramped up from pointing out with my pinky. So, as I was told it was alright to do so, I curled it under. As I said before, everybody's hands are different.

Paul Franklin actually has a segment on his online course about being called a "pick blocker". He goes to analyze BE's hand picking and blocking and evidences that BE was NOT a strict "Palm Blocker" and by the use of videos demonstrates that BE actually uses his curled-under ring-finger to block at least his finger-picked strings and some times even the thumb picked ones (when picked close-by). PF actually claims to do the same IN PART. Evidently, PF DOES some pick blocking.

I think it must be comfortable and productive. There is NO rule written in stone.
With today's playing style I would only urge giving a good (3-months rule) try at developing the ability to ALSO pick block. Once mastered it simplifies single note playing a LOT in my opinion.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.