The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Combination PSG/Lap Builders?
Robert Barleen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 6:42 am    

Greetings, all wise ones!

I'm an emerging PSG player converting from lap steel, and I'm gigging a lot with more shows on the way. My question is that I'm looking to start in on a full time PSG setup to replace my current rig's bottom neck 6 string Strat style single coil E9 neck, but I also want to keep my 8 string P-90 C6 neck. I really love the idea of the versatility it would bring me onstage, not to mention that I LOVE the fat P-90 sound.

I was originally thinking about using a single neck E9 PSG with my lap steel clamped on to the front legs via a couple of micro booms. (BTW, fun fact. Rondo SX lap steel leg sockets completely match cymbal stand hardware in both size and threading. I'm using a cymbal microboom stand clamped to the 8 string center leg in place of the 6 string center leg.) I'd also like to entertain the possibility of a combo setup D10 with the C6 neck acting as a non-pedal. This would give me the best of both worlds in a single unit.

My question to the PSG hive mind is this: Are there builders out there who can make me a combo D10 as mentioned, or should I keep searching for a used combination D10, or am I better off going with my first thought of clamping my 8 string to the front of my PSG and going with a S10?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

-1959 Fender 1000 D8 Custom Console
-Rondo SX Lap, Single coil, E9
-Rondo SX8 Lap, P-90, C6
-Regal Resonator Roundneck
-Marshall CODE-100 Combo Amp w/Marshall MX212 Extension Cabinet

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 7:24 am    

MSA makes this 10-6 D-10 linked below. Otherwise Jimmie Hudson seems to take a number of different requests, he might be able to make something to your exact specs.

https://msapedalsteels.com/the-tour-pro-legend-10-6

Robert Barleen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 7:46 am    

Sweet Setup!!!

$8K might be a bit out of my budget, though. The missus would definitely be giving me that look you get before really bad things happen. 😆💀☠️

-Rondo SX8 Lap, P-90, C6

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 8:06 am    

The one issue with the D10 pedal steel idea is the string spacing difference with your non-pedal. Other than that, you could set up the back neck with 8-string C6 the way you want it - maybe even find a pickup that sounds like your P90.

You might also think about altering that D10 back neck with a standard 8-string lap steel headstock/nut/bridge setup. Or maybe find an SD10 and fill in the blank.

I messed around with setting up a Stringmaster D8 in front of my S10. The D8 needed to be quite a bit higher than the pedal steel, and I had to stand up when I played it. The idea never made it to a stage, but it worked okay.

Robert Barleen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 9:24 am    

I can dig it. The thought was that I'd make the C6 neck a ten string to expand the note range, but I sure love the idea of a fat vintage pickup to offset a George L or similar.

I would've loved to have seen that Stringmaster/S10 rig. I can see where it would be a bit of a reach to get to the far neck. I'm blessed with orangutan arms, so it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

-Rondo SX8 Lap, P-90, C6