The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1973 Fender PS 210 $4900
Victoria Conner

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 12:53 pm    

Hi, this belonged to my father and he took very good care of it. Please see the link for more pictures.
Thank you!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vh3Zg5RncgudfR4QA

Last edited by Victoria Conner on 26 Oct 2021 12:59 pm; edited 5 times in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 1:18 pm    

I've never seen one like that.
Does it say Fender on it?
Erv

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 1:22 pm    

Keyless prototype? I see a Sho~Bud narrow pedal in the case... that would be probable.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 1:23 pm    

Quote:

here's a shot of another one...I think only about 15 were built.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=177022&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 1:32 pm    

This is of interest..

https://www.pedalsteel.co.uk/Vintage-Fender-PS210

Victoria Conner

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 1:35 pm     You know, it doesn't!

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Erv

Victoria Conner

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 1:37 pm     Yes, that's the one.

Dave Zirbel wrote:
Quote:

here's a shot of another one...I think only about 15 were built.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=177022&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 1:40 pm    

Mike DiAlesandro wrote:
Keyless prototype? I see a Sho~Bud narrow pedal in the case... that would be probable.

NOPE Sho-Bud were provided with the Fender pedals and other Fender cast parts when they took on the Fender Project..
Sho-Bud built 4400 guitars for Fender between 1976 and 1977 (3 shifts working 7 days a week) The top of the range was The Artist Dual Pro D10 (8 + 4) followed by the Artist S10 (3 + 4) and then the Fender Student S10 with 3 + 1. Two colors available Black and Mahogany Lacquer.
Shot wasn't involved in this venture, It was the "Music City Mfg.," company, owned by David Jackson that did the Fender contract. 4400 steels were made for Fender in a one year period by David Jackson. There is a common misconception, everyone thinks that Shot Jackson was at head of Sho-Bud, but it was his son David

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 2:26 pm    

Blackie Taylor played on one a those

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 3:28 pm    

Wow. I don’t know much about these things but I’ve always been fascinated, ever since I pored over the fender catalog when I was thirteen.
What do you suppose the plaque on the bottom says?

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2021 1:15 pm    

The guitar for sale here is missing the volume & tone controls, and the switch to bypass the (Also Missing) automatic pickup selector on the changeover lever. See mine..

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2021 2:49 pm    

I've split many of the replies into a separate post in the Pedal Steel section.

Please note that Victoria is not a steel guitarist, nor is she familiar with the intricacies of instrument construction. So please be kind. If you're not interested in buying it, you can join the conversation in the Pedal Steel section of the forum to learn more about Gene Fields and the history of this model.

As is the case with all used instruments, this highly collectable antique pedal steel is sold "as is". Very few were made. Pedal steel players often modify their instruments. This one appears to me to be either an original prototype Whoa! or one that's been modified (no Fender badge on front, controls removed, necks replaced). In either case, the buyer will have a treasure that was lovingly played and maintained by its owner for many years.

More pictures can be seen here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vh3Zg5RncgudfR4QA

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 6:24 am     Fender PS 210

Gene fields designed this guitar for fender, when he was with fender, before he built the GFI.

Larry Petree

Bakersfield. Ca. USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 4:39 pm     Ps 210

I had serial number 13 for a while Great design, but very heavy.

Victoria Conner

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 6:28 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Erv

Hi! No, it is not on there...

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2021 5:42 pm    

I still have number 11, a D-10, which I bought from Gene at the Knoxville Jamboree in, I believe, 1987. It was the last of the original 15 guitars to be as yet unsold at the time. It has 5 pedals and 4 KL's. Yes, they are heavy considering their diminutive size. I strung up the rear neck for E9th short Uni, and have the C6th on the front neck. Gene said my guitar was made about 1969 as he recalled. He was disappointed when CBS pulled the plug on the PS-210 project. All the stamping dies and production tooling was complete and ready to go to work. The PS-210 can be changed from Day to Emmons or vise-versa in about 10 minutes or less. It was way ahead of its time. I've had mine for sale sort of under the radar for a while for $5200.00 in the case. That is no indication of what it may be worth....I really don't know what value to put on it.
PRR

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2021 6:42 pm    

these were designed and built by the late Gene Fields

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2021 1:35 pm    

I also have a PS210.....it's in a different location from where I am presently but I believe that it's #15.....it's also a 5&4.......

Mark Fasbender

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 12:57 am    

is this still available??

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 11:38 am    

Kevin Quick wrote:
Blackie Taylor played on one a those

Blackie's had the outside neck set up for fretting -- playing like Thumbs Carlisle.

I still have a 210 I got from Blackie. He told me that Gene Fields was in charge of this project and had a lot to do with the design.

Edit: Sorry, I see Nick Reed states that above.

Last edited by Chris Lucker on 26 Oct 2021 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Victoria Conner

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 12:41 pm    

basilh wrote:
The guitar for sale here is missing the volume & tone controls, and the switch to bypass the (Also Missing) automatic pickup selector on the changeover lever. See mine..

I am positive nothing is missing. I have added pics of it set up now. There are also pictures of the pieces as I spread them out on the floor and took pictures. Can you look again please?

Victoria Conner

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 12:41 pm    

Mark Fasbender wrote:
is this still available??

Hi Mark, It is. Thank you Smile

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 2:37 pm    

Victoria, tone and volume controls were more common on steels during the time this one was made, but are relatively rare on newer steels. It's not uncommon to see an older Sho~Bud or Emmons steel with its tone and volume controls removed. I see what looks like the original knobs from those controls in one of your photos.

As I understand it from reading the other posts, the neck selector lever on top of the steel transfers the pedal linkage from neck to neck. It originally also activated a pickup selector switch to connect the correct pickup for the neck being selected. Modern steels don't need a linkage transfer lever (because there are separate pedals for each neck), and they have a manual toggle switch to select the pickup. Your steel has been modified to have a toggle switch like newer steels have. It is installed in the hole previously occupied by one of the controls (volume or tone).

The necks may be the original wood with the fretboards and binding removed. If so, the inlaid wooden markers and frets were added. I noticed that the sides of the necks are beveled; that was probably to smooth out the binding channels. All this was probably done to show off more of that gorgeous wood.

Looks to me like your dad personalized this steel in a carefully considered way for aesthetic and functional preference. Very cool steel.

Victoria Conner

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 9:00 pm    

Bruce Derr wrote:
Victoria, tone and volume controls were more common on steels during the time this one was made, but are relatively rare on newer steels. It's not uncommon to see an older Sho~Bud or Emmons steel with its tone and volume controls removed. I see what looks like the original knobs from those controls in one of your photos.

As I understand it from reading the other posts, the neck selector lever on top of the steel transfers the pedal linkage from neck to neck. It originally also activated a pickup selector switch to connect the correct pickup for the neck being selected. Modern steels don't need a linkage transfer lever (because there are separate pedals for each neck), and they have a manual toggle switch to select the pickup. Your steel has been modified to have a toggle switch like newer steels have. It is installed in the hole previously occupied by one of the controls (volume or tone).

The necks may be the original wood with the fretboards and binding removed. If so, the inlaid wooden markers and frets were added. I noticed that the sides of the necks are beveled; that was probably to smooth out the binding channels. All this was probably done to show off more of that gorgeous wood.

Looks to me like your dad personalized this steel in a carefully considered way for aesthetic and functional preference. Very cool steel.

Thank you so much, you are kind to review and explain. Your time is appreciated!

Victoria Conner

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2021 1:45 am     PS210 #15 is sold but I found these....

I have no idea who these people are or if they are relevant to the guitar. I did find some cool stuff in the box with all the mags and newsletters. Here is the link. Reworking the PS210 was published in the Steel Guitar Record Club Newsletter #3. I found issues 1-13 missing 2 & 5. There is also a Fender 65-66 catalog and other 1960's-80's mags and lessons. I am mailing most to the buyer but will finish taking pics and adding before I do. So happy its soon in the hands of someone who will love it.
Thank you to all the gentlemen who were kind and informative, your passion is appreciated and your kindness is admired.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vh3Zg5RncgudfR4QA