The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  technique question
Steven Golding

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 5:11 pm    

When you guys are playing scales vertically, what is the correct right-hand technique? Do you alternate between T I or T M?

For me, T and I are easier than T M, but I saw somewhere that T M was the correct way to play scales. It just hurts sometimes, which means I'm doing something wrong anyway.

Thanks

Steve

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 6:47 pm    

Theory has it that the tendon for the middle finger runs straighter down the arm than the fingers off to the side, so it's less tendon drag using thumb and Middle. However lots of old school self taught player use thumb and first finger without any complications, long before 'Correct procedure' was established in the steel guitar community.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 12:01 am    

The second finger is generally stronger and more mobile than the first, so it gives a more satisfying tone when playing scales in thirds, and in any case we use it for scales in sixths. Also it's the top note in triads.

So to give a consistent sound and feel it makes sense to use it for everything.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 3:19 pm    

It shouldn’t hurt, no matter which finger combination you are using. Take a step back and figure out why using T-M causes pain. The Sierra Steel Guitar website has some excellent videos of Joe Wright re-building his technique after his neck operation. Lots of right-hand stuff and basic ergonomics.

Steven Golding

New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2021 8:56 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
It shouldn’t hurt, no matter which finger combination you use. Take a step back and figure out why using T-M causes pain. The Sierra Steel Guitar website has some excellent videos of Joe Wright re-building his technique after his neck operation. Lots of right-hand stuff and basic ergonomics.

Thanks for the reply, Fred.

I've been experiencing pain in my finger for a while when I started playing steel. Ironically I also started a new job that required a lot more physical labor than I'm used to. So for that last year or so, I've been asking myself if it's the guitar or my job that causes my fingers to throb/ occasional wrist pain.

I've had the suspicion that it was related to my job. I've been playing guitar for almost 20years and have never developed Carpeltunnel or arthritis.

I started Grad school, so I've had to step away from both a little bit, and now my hand and fingers aren't in as much pain. I want to get back into a practice routine again. Hopefully, everything will go right.

Anyways I'm going to check out the site
thanks again

-S

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2021 10:11 am    

I would like to disabuse anyone of the notion that there is one "correct" way to finger a scale or any run of notes.

Which finger to use is dependent on several things, like where you're it approaching it from, and what you're going to play next -- but mostly it's your personal ergonomic preference for which finger feels most comfortable.

One absolute has already been stated here: the middle finger is stronger. A lot of players lean on that versus the index. But there are plenty of players who just feel more comfortable prioritizing the index and do a lot of Thumb-Index moves. I mix and match index and middle, depending on the particular run...

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2021 11:19 am    

Agreed, Tucker.

I don’t claim to be an expert on anything regarding pedal steel, but transferring my fingerstyle technique from 50 years playing guitar seemed like a no-brainer. Using picks was somewhat of a hurdle, but alternating T-I-T-M combinations came pretty naturally to me on single notes, as did T-I-M and inversions for rolls. I just disregarded any advice that said “T-M only” for scales and single note stuff. Another reason I’m so famous for it, I suppose Oh Well

If you are new to playing fingerstyle, then maybe other rules apply.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2021 6:18 pm    

And work on those cross-overs to get your speed up.

Steven Golding

New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2021 12:19 pm    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
I would like to disabuse anyone of the notion that there is one "correct" way to finger a scale or any run of notes.

Which finger to use is dependent on several things, like where you're it approaching it from, and what you're going to play next -- but mostly it's your personal ergonomic preference for which finger feels most comfortable.

One absolute has already been stated here: the middle finger is stronger. A lot of players lean on that versus the index. But there are plenty of players who just feel more comfortable prioritizing the index and do a lot of Thumb-Index moves. I mix and match index and middle, depending on the particular run...

Thanks for the demystification. From what I understand on banjo to play single-note runs you usually use T-I. So it makes sense to me that on steel you could use the same finger movements.

S