The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Awesome new p2p Bad-Dawg
Lary Marshall

Green Oak Township, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 1:11 pm    

A little while back I received approval from “The Boss” to get a new amp for my steel rig. So I spent the next few weeks reading hundreds (if not thousands) of posts on the Steel Guitar Forum to see what the best amps were that other players were using. I narrowed it down to about a half a dozen, so my search switched to product websites. I was currently playing through my 1967 Fender Showman with its original 15” speaker, but at 71, I needed to loose some weight with my rig. Mike Scaggs' of p2p Bad-Dawg sent some specifications on his amps, and I replied with a couple extra questions. Within minutes of sending my e-mail, my phone rang, and Mike and I discussed my questions as well as many other aspects of his amplifiers. It was apparent that Mike was as passionate about understanding what I was looking for as he was about the design and build of his amplifiers. I was sold and I asked him to build me one of his single 12” Bad-Dawg.
Mike provided me several build updates and photographs as he progressed with my amp, and we had many additional conversations as he continued the build. He explained many of the features & functions in detail, and helped my understand how best to set up and use my new amp.
The FedEx truck rolled down the driveway while I was out digging out and cutting down an old dead pine tree: I was covered in mud, so this was not the perfect time to unpack and play with my new tool. But I figured (at Mike's urging) that I should make sure the amp survived the trip north. I rearranged my practice space for the new amp and plugged things in. I figured I should pull a few strings to make sure all is well.
I was hoping for some improvement over my old trusty Showman, but when I pulled the first few strings, and I was STUNNED by what I heard!!! My jaw dropped, and I thought I was going to cut my chin on my strings. The pristine tones that came my way were astounding. I expected a nice improvement to my rig, but this was way beyond my expectations. I played more,.... and more... and the caked mud from my tree dried dried on my jeans. I started to push the amp, and it responded with “Make my day – ask for more.”
I am completely blown away by what I have heard from “My new amp.” This is a whole new level for me. Mike has been amazing to work with and get to know. Not only do I have a great new amp, but I also have a great new friend in Tennessee and he will help me make the most of this amazing tool.
Btw, I didn't finish taking down my tree until the next day.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 4:16 pm    

Nice! It looks a bit like the p2p logo light up kinda like the Lexus car logo. If it did light up that would be a cool match for the MSA LFrets. I have an amp here that has the same reverb adjustments. The reverb controls have a huge effect on the overall sound to my surprise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 7:03 pm    

Wow, thanks Lary! Such an awesome story about the pine tree haha. Super happy you love your new amp buddy. Now go make some great music and memories with her.

Cheers!
Mike

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2021 10:45 am    

Lary, Care to share the specs of your amp? Wattage, weight, speaker etc.