The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Am I crazy for this? (PP vs Fingertip)
Liam Sullins

Brookville, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 4:04 am    

I've always loved the sound of Sho~Bud and Emmons but I've never owned a Fingertip, I have a Push Pull but I'm wanting to maybe trade my push pull for one, is this crazy to do? The Fingertip allows me to change the copedent a lot easier than the push pull.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 4:24 am    

With decent overall steel tech skills, going in, I learned to do some major PP setup change work on several guitars. It wasn't that tough. I don't compare myself with the masters but I'm confident in my abilities. In other words, with general steel guitar tech sense, you can get better at setup changes.
That said, the two guitars are such different beasts, you just have to ask yourself what it is you want to feel & hear in a steel guitar. Which sound is closer to your sound? Which makes you say "there! That's what I'm talking about!" ?
All the rest is just other people talking about their preferences.

Liam Sullins

Brookville, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 4:30 am    

I think the Bud is a lot closer to my sound, the Emmons I only bought because I heard the black album and I wanted an Emmons, but Buds have a special sound to them and like you said I think it fits my sound more than Emmons. I rebuilt my Emmons but working on it was a pain here and there.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 5:00 am    

Sounds to me like you are way ahead of the game, knowing what talks to you. It's always tough to ditch a steel but there's lots of guitars, lots of time.
I sold my PP at a time when I wasn't really feeling it. Some years later I had a better idea of what I wanted and bought another one and this time I could say "there!" That's the sound!".

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 7:09 am    

Keep them all. Just keep buying steels in search of “the sound”. Any one you sell will be a big regret in a few years! Alright…I know that isn’t possible for most, but you WILL feel that way. Ask almost anyone here.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 10:00 am    

My 1st pedal steel was a Sho~Bud fingertip.
I had trouble keeping it in tune.
Your mileage may vary. Sad
Erv

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 11:03 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
My 1st pedal steel was a Sho~Bud fingertip.
I had trouble keeping it in tune.
Your mileage may vary. Sad
Erv

My experience with a 67+- was the same as Erv's. The inner nuts on the tuning screws would back out of place. The guitar was also ergonomically all wrong for me since I was accustomed to the compact Emmons, and being that it had mid-60's S~B technology, I didn't want go putting a bunch bucks into shorter legs and pedal rods.

Like others have opined, I'd suggest hanging on to the Emmons as well, and see if you and the Sho~Bud can get along with each other.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Liam Sullins

Brookville, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 12:03 pm    

Thanks guys. You all are right. I think I’ll keep the Emmons and possibly find a Fingertip. Both are the grandfathers of steel.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 7:33 am    

And you know what shape grandpa is in! Laughing
Erv