The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Objective Product Review. New Mullen v New MSA
Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 1:46 pm    

Considering each for : Service and Support, Order to Build time, Price to Value.
Easy of set up and even the stock cases. Hey, it’s a big investment and I’ve at least narrowed it down. What say y’all?

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 5:52 pm    

I’ll let you know in 10-12 months. Confused

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 6:53 am    

I am fortunate to have one of each, and I have been trying to come up with an "objective" comparison for the past year or so. The problem is that the one I like best tends to be whichever one I'm playing at the moment.

The MSA has more "features" -- in particular, the fact that the knee lever positions and pedal heights are adjustable "on the fly" from the playing position. It also has several other design features, for example the pedal bar with a sliding "click-lock" attachment to a fixed position on the front legs. And of course, the light-up fretboard and "ground effects" lights. Very Happy But none of these things make a huge difference to me in use -- knee levers and pedals tend to get adjusted very rarely, for example.

I don't really like working on either one of them, but neither is more difficult than the other. I have found it quicker and easier to get parts for the Mullen than for the MSA, but this is quite possibly related to problems caused by the pandemic. The MSA has four up, three down; the Mullen has three and three. I can see where the extra raise hole would be handy for adding compensating pullrods, but (for example) it seems to make lowering the Es an irreducibly longer throw. Both guitars are beautifully designed and built, and will still play well long after I'm gone.

Each of them decidedly has its own sound. Both of them sound great through either of the amplifiers I have (a Peavey N112 and a Quilter TT12). It's the same with any really good instruments -- my Kinscherff acoustic guitar, for example, sounds different from my English friend's guitar made by Ralph Bown. Both sound superb. The same is true of my MSA Legend and my Mullen G2.

That's about as objective as I think I can be. I am planning to keep, play, and enjoy both of these guitars for however long I'm around!

[Edit, an hour or so later]
I told my wife about this post, and she brought up two things I forgot to mention. First, I really don't like the short keyhead on the MSA. For me, it makes changing strings substantially harder, especially with the short shafts on the tuners near the neck. The 0.070 string I use for string 10 on the C6th neck will barely fit through the hole and barely wrap around once, which means it has to be cut and installed very carefully. And for some reason, I just don't get along with Sperzel tuners -- regardless how I adjust them, they seem stiff and hard to turn. (The Mullen has a longer keyhead and larger Grover tuners.)

Second, I really DO like the fact that the pickups on the MSA can be swapped easily (as long as you have them with the correct mounting boards). Mine presently has a 710 on the E9th neck and a Telonics X10 on the C6th neck.

--Al Evans

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 9:40 am    

I recently bought a like-new Mullen, but I shopped MSA before I bought it.

MSA: The quick-change pickup system, for me, is a complete waste of money and machining, I would never use it. And the LED-lit fretboard is pretty cool and useful, but I was told that it is now standard and you can't not order it -- that's a drawback. And MSA guitars are quite expensive.

The Mullen has proven to be a great guitar, stays in tune, easy to mod, high quality build. The only issue I've had is that the laminate fretboard has some blue colored markers which are totally inadequate for low light situations -- makes me wish I had a lighted fretboard!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 10:02 am    

Dele

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 27 Oct 2021 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 11:27 am    

MSA for Fret lights
Quick change PUs
Adjust pedals and levers on the fly
Pedal rods are all interchangeable and do not need to be in any order
Heavy road case standard,
Undercarriage is polished standard

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 1:57 pm    

I had a friend's Legend in house for about a month doing some changes on it for him. It is a nice guitar, no question.

I admit to being biased to Mullen guitars, so you may want to consider that in my evaluation.

The MSA was was more tedious to do setup changes than the Mullen. The way the screws attach and lock the bellcranks are a pain IMO.

I'm not a fan of the contoured knee levers either. The pedals are pretty with the embossed symbols, the cabinet is very nice and I like the recessed fretboards too. All the aluminum is polished perfectly.

The tone is well, different. I don't really know how to describe it...I guess brighter than the Mullen tone.

Mullen guitars are a snap to do changes on. You just need a pick tool and some sharp needle nose pliers to handle the hairpin clips.

The mechanics are no nonsense straightforward and laid out better than any of the dozen or so other brands I've owned and/or worked on.

They are also the most comfortable guitar I've ever sat behind. They feel like putting on a glove, and solid as a rock. Customer support is also great with Mike and crew.

The tone is powerfully rich and full with the stock single coil pickups. Very satisfying to the ear. I would say maybe more mellow than the MSA.

IMO, the stock pickups on these guitars are as good as it gets. I've never had any of the replacement pickups have the sound of the originals.

I don't think you could lose with either guitar, but if I'm buying a new guitar, it's a Mullen.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 2:48 pm    

I've tried 5 different brands, but not a newer MSA. I did have a older classic. I bought my Mullen new from Del in 2009, and its probably the last steel purchase. Great guitar and service from factory. since my purchase, I've only broke one string. So, for me its Mullen. Good luck

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 3:01 pm    

you gonna be very happy with either one … trust me

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 4:51 pm    

I ordered a Mullen (S10) G2, back in late March & still waiting but consider the wait worthwhile for all the same reasons that Jerry spoke of regarding the Mullen.

rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 8:35 am    

I haven't played one of the newer MSAs but those willing to spend and wait quite a while seem to like them very much. I would think that some of MSAs features sound cool, but once you've set the pedals and knees the need for instant adjustments seems unnecessary. Same with the exchangeable pickups. How often are you going to change pickups between songs? But I do like the lighted fretboards.

But I have owned Mullen guitars since 1990. They are great looking, playing and sounding instruments. And the Mike and Mullen crew are great.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 1:01 pm    

This is my exact question also. I hope to try both at TX Jamboree this time, but these answers are great and thanks for everyone's input.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 3:37 pm    

I tried a mullen and it made me want to get a New Mullen.
They did not have a S12 universal at that time.
So I went with a MSA s U12 No complaint's.
Now I see Mullen has an a Universal S12, :/