The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SC Steel Show
Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2021 8:58 am    

Bill Nicholson wrote:
Brian -I definitely plan to attend on Sunday. I am getting together next week at my house in Fair Play Sc with a couple guys in your staff band to woodshed a few songs. ...I know that is cheating but it has been almost 2 years since I have played a steel show dedicated to steel guitar music. Should be great fun at the show.

Bill, Looking forward to seeing you again. I'll put you in a Sunday slot. Awesome.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2021 12:18 pm     Saving you a slot on Sunday

Austin Tripp wrote:
Lord willing, I’m off that weekend and I’ll be attending! It’ll be great seeing everyone.

Austin,
Have you scheduled for around 3 p.m. on Sunday. and of course you are welcome to join the jam on Saturday as well as sit in with the house band for the dance on Saturday evening. Looking forward to seeing you.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 5:04 am    

Brian, can you please post the tentative schedule for Sunday and who is who ?

BEST

tony p

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 11:30 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Brian, can you please post the tentative schedule for Sunday and who is who ?

BEST

tony p

Tony,
I will get a tentative player schedule out this evening or first thing tomorrow. It may change as we near the show date and player's commitments change, but it will be written in pencil so it can be modified at the last minute if required. Confused Shocked Surprised

Frank Speights

Jackson, Ga USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2021 6:32 pm     SC Steel Show

Brian.

My wife and I are planning to come up for the Sunday Show.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 3:56 am     Re: SC Steel Show

Frank Speights wrote:
Brian.

My wife and I are planning to come up for the Sunday Show.

Frank, Great. It will be good to see you.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 6:45 am    

Brian, I sent you an email

THX

tp

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 7:22 am     SC Steel Show Update

We have some changes, as expected, for the show, but the show is really shaping up to be one you don't want to miss.

First, I am sorry to announce that the Country Current band will NOT be attending as planned. They have had restrictions on all travel and public performances until further notice.

However, Pat Severs will be our guest artist as previously scheduled. We are looking forward to him playing at our show. Welcome back to SC Pat.

Billy Knowles of Steel Guitar East will have a table and will be available to discuss adjustments and such on your instruments.

Below is the tentative performer schedule for Sunday, subject to change even on Sunday morning. (That's my job, to keep things flowing smoothly, and I'll do my best adjust and keep things flowing.)

[list=]
10:00 Ken Fox - Nashville, GA
10:30 Tony Prior - Charlotte, Nc
11:00 Nick Reed - Russelville, KY
11:20 Gary Catlin - Fredricksburg, MD
12:00 Roger Crawford - Delongaga, GA
12:30 Randy & Steve McKoy - Columbia, SC
1:00 p.m. Duane Ragan - Travelers Rest, SC
1:30 p.m. Doug McGuire - SC
2:00 p.m. Pat Severs
3:00 p.m. Austin Tripp - Nashville, TN
3:30 p.m. Frank Speights - Jackson, GA
4:00 p.m. Bill Nicholson - SC
4:30 p.m. Buck Rodgers - Yorktown, VA
5:00 p.m. John Swain - Newberry, SC
5:30 p.m. Gary Hart - SC
[/list]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 7:42 am    

Awesome list Brian ! 10:30 is excellent for me as I am totally a morning person LOL ! Laughing

THX

tp

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 11:39 am     SC Steel Show workshop

There are still openings in the Saturday workshop with John Swain.

As discussed earlier, it is a classroom session, no instruments, however, recording and video taping is allowed.

John is a knowledgeable steel player with awesome music background. You will learn more than just some steel licks. I highly recommend his class.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2021 1:17 pm     SC Steel Show Update

I am getting psyched about this show!

I confirmed the players today including Pat Severs. He is bringing a guest artist that he worked with in Nashville and New York, Hank Martin. He and Hank recorded together. They have some interesting stuff to do at the show.

Along with Billy Knowles of Steel Guitar East, Kelcey O'Neil of Emmons Guitar Co. will be on hand on Saturday with the new Emmons ReSound 65. Kelsey will be available to answer all your questions about this new amazing instrument, which is a modern build of the old Emmons Push Pull, with modern machining improvements. After talking to him, Kelsey knows the Emmons line of steel guitars and it's history.

Of course, the Bill Strickland band will be on hand to back the players. Jim Graddick will be playing with him on fiddle and Jim Hartley will be playing some drums.

The McKoy brother, Randy and Steve will be assisting as well as performing.

And the always SMOOOO...OOO..TH sounds of Duane Ragan on lap steel will please you. If you have not heard this talented steel player, you owe it to yourself to come see him play.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2021 3:50 am    

Today and Tomorrow ! Nov 6 and Nov 7. I will miss today as I have a gig tonight but I will be there early Sunday AM to join the show.

It appears I have a 10:30 set, I am well rehearsed but lets see if I can remember what I rehearsed !

TP

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 4:41 am     SC Steel Show Update - 1st day

Great first day.

Steel guitar jam session.

The band from the left:
Jerry Burns (guitar)
Jim Hartley (drums)
Bob Strickland (guitar)
Wayne Smith (bass)

Jim Hartley took a break from Nashville to come back to SC. He has been playing with Mei Tillis, Jr. (Sonny) and on the Perley Curtis show (Perley's Place) on RFD TV.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 12:46 am     SC Steel Show Update

If you missed it, you missed a great show.

Pat Severs introducing the next number. The house band from left, Jerry Burns (guitar), Roger Crawford (drums), Jim Graddick (fiddle), Bob Strickland (guitar), and Wayne Smith (bass).

The final lineup of steel players:
Tony Prior (Charlotte, NC)
Gary Catlin (Fredricksburg, MD) with his wife, Pam, singing
Randy and Steve McKoy (SC) with brother, Mike on drums
Duane Ragan (Travelers Rest, SC)
John Swain (Newberry, SC)
Bill Nicholson (Fair Play, SC)
Pat Severs (SC) with guest Hank Martin
Roger Crawford (Dahlonoga, GA)

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 1:15 am     SC Steel Show Update

Duane Ragan mesmerizing the crowd on his custom lap steel that he made. Duane is always amazing on the steel.

At 90 years young he is an inspiration to us all.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 2:24 am    

Big thanks to Brian for promoting the show , it was a great time. I was able to hook up with friends I had not seen for a decade and I met a few forum fiends " in person" for the first time.
Pats set was outstanding, a seasoned Pro and a heck of a nice guy to talk to. Pat brought Hank Martin with him, a seasoned singer , road, sessions, commercials etc. The stories the two of them shared were equal to the music. Hope they come back next show.

Brian had me open the show Rolling Eyes I had not been on a Steel show for over a decade and I have not been on a Steel gig since March 2020. Well, the picks didn't fall off, I didn't drop the bar and apparently nobody got earthly sick as far as I can tell . I am very grateful to Brian for having me on the schedule.

Bob Strickland's band backed up each player and they are seasoned pros as well, they didn't miss a step.

Brian said he is planning the next show for May 2022, that gives me plenty of time to prepare.

See you all next May ! Very Happy

Jim Shultz

Seneca,South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 9:09 am    

As this was my first steel show I really enjoyed it.

Brian was a great host and I met some great folks, got to see a lot of great players. John Swain's workshop was very informative. Seeing the prototype Emmons was educational and seeing all the various steels (and a really old homebrew) was cool.

The "house band" was amazing, some very good musicians there - looked like they had lots of fun, too.

I thought the venue worked well and had some good food, too!

Since I am just beginning the learning curve, it feels like I'm looking up to a big mountain that I am just starting to climb, but have gotten some good words of encouragement and look forward to the adventure.

Thanks to all who made this happen! Can't wait for the next one.

Jim Shultz
Flynn SD10 now with Nashville 400

Wayne F. Smith

Bethlehem, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2021 12:20 pm     Steel show

I think I had as much fun as anyone. I was one of the bass players, and I got to play with some of my favorite players. I've known most of them for years and it was good to see them again. I haven't played anywhere or over two years and I was flat wore out by Sunday night. This is the oldest I ever been at a Steel show. It was well worth the trip from Georgia to see the family again. The fiddle player got my attention!!

Wayne