The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Luther Thompson and Barbara Murphy
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2021 3:02 am    

I found out that Friday evening Luther Thompson passed from this life. Luther was a wonderful steel player and an even greater man. Sadly he and his lady friend Barbara both passed this week from illness. Luther had great personality and love playing steel guitar. He played a venue in Oklahoma for 20 years on Thursday evenings. I know his family and friends will miss Luther and Barbara and the Texas Steel Show will not be the same without them there. RIP Luther and Barbara, you both will be missed greatly.

Cliff Trent

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2021 7:22 am     Luther

I loved both of them, and have so many memories of playing with Luther. We played at Pacesetters, Whitesboro, McKinney, Gainesville and many others and nobody enjoyed pickin' like Luther!!! He was happiest when playing. I learned a lot from him too! He was a treasure as was Barbara! She was quick and so fun to be around. R.I.P. my friends. You'll always be one of my fondest memories!!!

Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2021 7:41 am     Luther

So sad to read this news.
Luther will be missed by many.
Barbara passing the same week is just hard to comprehend.
Rest well Luther.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2021 8:25 am    

Sad news for sure. My prayers to friends and family.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 9:49 am    

Luther was one of the most kind and pleasant persons to be around. A true "Texas Gentlemen". Sure sad to hear of his passing.

David Alexander

Mead, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 7:10 pm    

Luther taught me my first licks on steel in 1979. He didn’t know me then but got to talking to me at a local music store one day and invited me, a total stranger, to bring my steel to his house that afternoon. He was so helpful those first years and through all the years since. I couldn’t have asked for a better friend and mentor! I know he is at home now and happy and even though we are all grieving for him and Barbara we all are much better people for having them as our friends. God bless them and their families.

Cliff Trent

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 8:21 pm     funeral arrangments

Luther's funeral will be at Fishers Funeral home 604 W. Main, Denison Thursday at 10:00am. Grave side following at Cedar Lawn Memorial Park.5805 Texoma Parkway, Sherman. Family night will be Wednesday night 5:00 till 7:00

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 6:15 pm    

I am so sorry to hear this, i have had the privilege in the last few years to get to know them from the western swing conventions, Luther was a fine player and super super lovely person indeed as was Barb.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 3:53 pm    

Luther was laid to rest today. It was a wonderful service. They started with an instrumental he had played "How Great Thou Art". Luther was loved by so many musicians besides steel players. My life was better because of his friendship. Barbara, his lady friend, was an added bonus. I am sure going to miss both of them.

Jade Egelhoff

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2022 6:07 pm     Photos of Luther?

Hey all, Luther was related to me and I had been trying to contact him for a bit before I heard this sad news. My grandma Leona was trying to find him to get in touch- they are cousins and grew up together for many years, and were quite close before falling out of touch as adults. Sadly, she doesn't have even a single photograph of him and I wanted to surprise her with a few prints she could hang on her wall. Is there anyone who has any photos of him they would be willing to share? I would be forever grateful if anyone would be willing to email them to me. I would be more than happy to prove the family relationship as well, if anyone would like the piece of mind before sending pics.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. Thank you!