The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tools and Spare Parts for touring
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 9:44 am    

I’m looking for some essential tools and supplies for touring next year. I need:

-non-lubricating silicone spray
-a left-handed metric tuner wrench

I made an offer on a high quality string stretcher so I think I’m covered on that.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I don’t want to get out there and be in a bind.

Thanks!!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

James Murray

Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 10:34 am    

I buy strings that come already tuned.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 10:38 am    

James, they tend to be pricey. Hoping b0b can buy them in bulk in the future.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 9:29 pm    

I would suggest you go over your gigging guitar and make sure you have an Allen Wrench to fit every Allen screw on the guitar. Open end wrenches to fit any lock nuts/bolts on guitar. Regular and Phillips screwdriver inserts and handle to fit all screws on guitar, Especially the key head friction screws.

A Black and Decker 4 AA battery powered screwdriver and plastic key turning wrench. A Phillips Screwdriver to fit inside springs and wire pliers for emergency hook bending a new hook on a broken spring. Needle Nose Pliers to reinstall springs, With Wire cutter. A set of 6 inch Vice Grips and 2 sets of Channel Locks and 3 or 4 pieces of leather to protect chrome and aluminum from toothed jaw scratching. My suggestion for 2 sets of channel locks is to disassemble a problem leg adjusting clutch. A pair of 6" tweezers to get parts from under pull rods and cross rods. Small cloth tool bag to carry tools in.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2021 6:37 am    

I second the pre-tuned strings and have you considered investing in a magnetized bar that will stick to the strings better and can't slip out of your hands as easily?

I also like the double-sided fingerpicks so, if you're feeling showy, you can easily play with the guitar upside down and backwards without having to turn your picks around.

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2021 6:42 am    

If you can't secure a high-quality string stretcher, StewMac has this low-end model on sale. It's usually full price except during their April 1 sale.