The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Single 10 Shobud. Need info for a friend
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 7:33 am    

A widow lady I meet recently had called about getting info and help on getting a fair market value for a S10.

She told me she thought they bought it new while attending Jefferan College in maybe early 1980’s. After that it went in the closet. Well she brought it by yesterday. It is like brand new. Got the Shobud pedal, a bar, JB finger picks.

It appears to have only one knee on 2 and 8

Any idea what model it is??

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 7:43 am     Pix

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 7:47 am     More pix

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 8:11 am    

I’m guessing it is approximately a ‘76 -‘77 Sho ~Bud Pro 1, without a “ Pro 1 decal.
It still has the Gumby head stock, narrow pedals, straight front cab.
Might be able to date it with the serial #’s.
Mid to late 70s Pro 1
Anyway that is my best guess.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 8:38 am     Serial number

http://donblood.net/sho-bud-serial-numbers-and-build-dates.html

I checked that website. Appears to be a 1977

Thanks for the info.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 9:07 am    

With 3p/1k, my guess would be a 6139, not a Pro 1. That is a gorgeous guitar.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 11:40 am    

It was very rare for a Sho~bud to come out of the store in original model set up. Sho~bud was truly a "Custom" shop and were made to order or even changed on the way out to new customer. So "what model name is it"?? ha..doesn't matter; as even what the name on the front says what model it is; most likely it has been changed from original model of showroom floor.
Soooooooo; this one was born October 1977; looks original off the floor 3 pedals/ 1 knee lever 6139(called Pro~I; but not labeled). The last half of 1977 was a huge change in mechanics; Maple body supplier; parts ie: fretboards;keyheads;changer fingers; rollers; pedals; tuning keys....etc...shall I go on?? But that really didn't matter either bringing up made to order; I've seen last month of 1977 looking more like normal set up for 1974-5..and then this one has more "SuperPro" features that come out full on in 1978; but mid 70's fretboard; gumby keyhead; but later 70's underneath mechanics.
So all and all; there's really NO STANDARD per Year, let alone; per Model.
What is this one worth?? Well only one knee lever really puts it even before today's beginner...so a couple knees should be added to make it playable for starting out pedal steel in todays world; and each knee kit is close to 200-ish bux a piece. Then it would be worth 1800.00-ish..; but take off the 400.00 for 2 more knees..and puts it today about 1500.00-ish...and that shobud volume pedal with NO wear or use...150.00
And so there's my opinion coming from someone who has restored all models of Sho~bud from 1964 to the end in mid 80's way over 100 of them in last 28 years.
Ricky
sshawaiian@austin.rr.com
This

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 7:41 pm    

Nice guitar, but the lack of levers hurts the value as Ricky said, at least for most players... I say $1500...
There are always Bud guys ready to jump on clean examples like this one, but an advanced player today likes a bare minimum of 4 levers and many prefer 5 on an S10... Me personally I like a 5 and 5 on an S10, and thats another $1200!...
Adding 3 levers with the cost of parts today?. $175-$200 IF you do it yourself... However, there are a LOT of guys out there with boxes and boxes of Bud parts, so IMHO it goes fast, and gets resold at a profit even faster with some levers added... Clean Buds are a very hot item these days, especially S10's.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2021 12:19 am    

My take , under $1500 as a 3+1. If it was a 3+4 I would say $1800 to $2000 due to limited availability on the market. I believe the "modern world" will call this a PRO -I. Ricky's reply is very accurate.

Its a fine guitar but as stated, 3+1 puts it in a limited buyer category . It requires an approx. $400 to $500 to bring it up to a common configuration for todays market.

I believe Michael Yale has all the parts necessary to bring the 3+1 to a 3+4, and they are hi quality parts.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 1:36 pm     Value

Thanks for all the great info. My original guess was 1100 to a max of 1500

I totally agree it has to be upgraded with 2 to 3 more knees at least to be a player. Otherwise it’s just a closet classic