The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Push Pull Adjusting
Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 4 Oct 2021 3:47 pm    

Anyone know if there is someone within close proximity to South Alabama who works on Push Pulls? Mainly just need minor adjustments. I realize "close proximity" is a relative term. Just wanted to see if there was anyone close by that works on them?

Thanks
Craig
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2021 5:55 am    

Craig Buck Ried in Hartsville Tn
Is a very good PP Tech

Last edited by Johnie King on 5 Oct 2021 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2021 10:44 pm     Re: Emmons Push Pull Adjusting

Craig Bailey wrote:
Anyone know if there is someone within close proximity to South Alabama who works on Push Pulls? Mainly just need minor adjustments. I realize "close proximity" is a relative term. Just wanted to see if there was anyone close by that works on them?
Thanks
Craig

Hi Craig,
I'd highly recommend Clem Schmitz's bargain-priced booklet "Methodology And Practice In Pedal Steel Guitar" to any Emmons push-pull owner. Clem used to own a steel guitar store and repair shop in Minneapolis, then one in Nashville, where he worked on Emmons push-pulls owned by players such as Mike Johnson.

The 24-page booklet shows how to make simple adjustments to an Emmons push-pull or even take the entire guitar apart and put it back together. In his booklet, Clem explains step by step (with photos) exactly how to disassemble, re-assemble, and adjust push-pull guitars with several clever little tricks that would take a very long time to figure out.

He usually sells the booklet on eBay listed as "Pedal Steel Guitar Methodology P/P Guide Booklet" for $15.
He also sells a combo package of the book and 2 DVDs as " Pedal Steel Guitar METHODOLOGY P/P Book & DVD's Package" for $20.
I'd recommend the $20 "combo package"--if it is still available.

Emmons push-pull guitars are very reliable and stable and I almost never need Clem's booklet, but it’s great to have for the rare time every 10 years or so when some little Allen screw loosens up somewhere, or a string pitch change isn’t happening the way it should—and you have to leave for a gig in the next 30 minutes. Smile

Clem is a very helpful guy; I've heard that if you are really stuck, he will guide you through the fix via Skype for a very nominal fee.

I believe you can contact Clem Schmitz at: freedomsauce(at)comcast(dot)net

- Dave

Jeremy Reeves

Chatham, IL, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2021 4:04 am    

Another vote for Clem's book (and DVD) - I found it fun and rewarding to gain some basic setup skills on my Emmons

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2021 8:23 am    

Another vote from me for Clem's book.
It's a must if you want to fiddle with a PP.

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2021 1:17 pm    

Another one for Clem's booklet. But not just that. Clem is THE go-to guy if you need your pp properly adjusted or fixed. Anyone can make things shine, but to actually get your pp as good as it gets - he's THE man.

Mark Perrodin

Tucson Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2021 8:48 pm     blackrock

clem fixed my blackwreck, i mean blackrock and it was divine when he was done.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2021 3:08 pm    

Boy, I could use that book and CD. I've had an Emmons since 1970 and I only do extremely easy adjustments. I've had Jimmie Crawford (who built it), Mike Cass, Doug Stock, Tom Vollmer and Billy Knowles work on it. It has 9 & 7 and it just scares me.

Tom Higgins

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2021 3:47 pm    

Is Clem still in Nashville?

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 6:54 pm    

Minnesota

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 9:02 pm    

Do you all recommend shipping the steel to get it adjusted? I am very hesitant to ship a steel these days. Any thougths?

Craig
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2021 11:56 pm    

Far easier than sending the steel off would be to post some pictures on the forum, detailing the minor adjustments that you want to make, and then actually doing the work yourself when you have gleaned sufficient knowledge from forum members.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 9:53 am    

Craig Bailey wrote:
Do you all recommend shipping the steel to get it adjusted? I am very hesitant to ship a steel these days. Any thougths?

Craig

No, unless you’re having other issues/work to be done I would avoid shipping for “routine” or normal maintenance.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 10:18 am    

Shipping could possibly move you from the "Routine Maintenance" category to the "Major Repairs" category.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2021 9:04 pm    

Craig Bailey wrote:
Craig

Craig,

If you get Clem's book and DVD, you should have no trouble making basic adjustments yourself.

Regardless of what you may have heard, adjusting push-pull Emmons PSGs are conceptually much simpler than adjusting all-pulls--the push-rods lower the strings, and the pull-rods raise them. Pretty straightforward.

In my experience, Emmons p/p's are very stable--adjust them once, and they are fine for years. In fact, I bought Clem's book many years ago because it had been so many years since I had had to adjust anything on my guitar, I was worried that I would have forgotten how to do it!

BTW, Clem is a very helpful fellow. I have heard from a couple of the SGF members that he helped them solve a tricky problem with their guitars via Skype.

- Dave