The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  YouTube channel with great advice for playing jazz
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 12:37 pm    

Jens Larsen has great advice on how to learn to play jazz guitar, which I think applies to just about any genre. Check it out, jazzers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXz5RW55rjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFkTgbUXxME

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 5:41 pm    

Thanks John. Those are interesting nuggets (delivered rapid fire!). Appreciate it.

Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 6:54 pm     Jens Larson

I really like his
Approach,I am learning
Some good ideas...
To apply to the steel.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 9:00 am    

First off, for anyone who skipped over the videos thinking that they might be more YT examples of 10-20-30+ minutes long, they are about 7 minutes each.
Not too bad, easy to digest, and he doesn't waste a lot of time yammering on like countless other videos.
So my advice is to check them out.

Second, he aims his comments at specifically jazz, but a few of the comments are applicable to country-blues-rock, which I suspect most people on the SGF are into.
SPECIFICALLY.......his comments about LEARNING A LOT OF SONGS.
About 40-50 years ago when I was starting out I read an interview with Dicky Betts. He mentioned something about learning songs, then taking the licks from one and cutting/pasting them into others. He was right. If you learn enough songs you'll start to hear parts being swapped around between them.

I'll add one more tip: "Virtual" learning and/or practicing of songs. By this I mean learning without being anywhere near a guitar.
Prime example: Some guys drive a round in their cars for years listening to the radio. The stations play the same songs over and over and over. They've heard the song hundreds of times.
Then they go to audition or jam with a band. That song that they have heard for years, hundreds of times, is called out, and they're LOST.
Face it guys, most of these non jazz country-blues-rock songs are I-IV-V, with maybe an extra chord or two thrown in. And.......you've had years to find out what that one odd chord is, so that when you do get in a band situation, you'll know what it is. But, you didn't do your homework.

But it's more than not knowing the chords. A lot of guys don't know the ARRANGEMENT. They don't know where to change chords. They don't hear the lyrics in their head, and don't know where the changes are.
There is nothing more aggravating to a lead player than soloing, and having some other band member change chords in the wrong spot. It's like walking on eggs, and you can't ever phrase your solos or really cut loose, all because some guy didn't learn the song even though they've heard it hundreds of times over many years.

(Ok, rant over, calm down, take a deep breath.......)

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 9:23 am    

Ok, for a quickie lesson, time to cheat.

Paul Gilbert came up through GIT and the 80's rock shredder scene. But the more videos of him that I watch, he's so much more than that.

Here is a quick way to, in his words, sound like you know more than you do when confronted with a jazz-blues situation.
About 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFbyDjPoZWw&ab_channel=RockbyWild

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 6:45 pm    

Yes indeed John, Jens Larson has some great perspectives and his videos are pretty engaging.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2021 7:09 pm    

Thanks for posting John. There is no magic bullet. You have to learn the basics.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2021 4:54 am    

There are some great YouTube channels that are legit and full of information and guidance which can be applied to ANY instrument, including he PSG.

One I did a lot is Rick Beato ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJquYOG5EL82sKTfH9aMA9Q )

While I spend my "steel guitar sabbatical" playing Jazz rhythm guitar, I found that for advice on soloing and my "space travel into Bebop", I find more applicable information looking at the many PIANO channels on the subject.
Guitar players have their own set of problems, limitations and back of tricks and thus their own language. A guitar is tuned in 4ths/5ths, C6th is tuned in 3rds and a 2nd intervals. Se seek to find pockets and pedal/lever combinations which allow us to play "linearly" (under a straight bar) or "thread" without hopping all to erratically too far.
The Piano's most evident "difficulty" is modulation (playing in all keys), and this is where, once we understand our tuning have it easy, real easy.
So, my suggestion to most is to get even just a cheap keyboard and NOT to worry too much about learning to play it, but to understand "Do Re Mi Fa Sol.... and to "see" Intervals so to understand what Piano players teach or show. It's been of GREAT service to me.
The Piano is so much easier to "see". The fingers on a guitar's neck often cover up what they are trying to show. Not so on the piano. The intervals are more evident and you can pause a video, go by ear note-by-note and some notes, you will very quickly learn to see and it will get you into the practice of learning where your notes (by name) are on the SG.

There is a lot on modern Gospel, classic and neo Soul, classic R&B besides Jazz, Swing and Bebop music which uses amazing chords and great progressions and the steel seems just MADE to play that.
Evidently, there is a lot of "Ego" on the Internet and YouTube is polluted with "fake"-teachers... but again on the keyboards, I find it easier to tell and "thumbs-up"-addict from somebody who's really got something to share.

I like Aimee Nolte's Channel a lot, and that just one of many I extract stuff from:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZIB_p5AgVVdxgkYWHeUy-Q

Piano With Kingsley is another great source I like to practice with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8896EbCeqM

There are so many more

Try to stay suspicious of any "courses" which promote "Tricks", "EASY Tricks", subject lines including "... make you sound like a xyz PRO"

Thanks!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2021 2:30 pm     just found this today, and it's awesome!

This is a great course for FREE for Jazz and very educational. I wished steel guitar "teachers" would learn from that format.

The examples are on Piano, but mainly right hand soloing. Very easy to follow IF you know your basic chord portions

The chords are the basic "Autumn Leaves" progression.
Great quality slow down to play along.

Since the song is well known, Rhythm Tracks can be found in many keys on YouTube to practice along with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnYQYR2-JuU&t=379s

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2021 6:51 am    

I have watched a considerable amount of Jens jazz videos and yes he teaches well. They are engaging and thoughtful. Great guy and teacher.