The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blowout!
Christopher Peck

Seattle
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 6:25 pm    

So there I am practicing the basics and all of a sudden the A pedal hits the floor. Wouldn't you know the ball joint on the quick connect blew out

Looks like I'm calling BMI tomorrow afternoon. I'll see if I can get three new quick connects just for future emergencies. I figure if I have a complete new set on hand I'll never have another problem with them. I'm good with that.

I'll see about getting a handful of hex tuners while I'm at it.

Other than nylon hex tuners and cotter pins, are there any other 'consumables' that are a good idea to have in the case?

Thanks for the help folks.

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 7:01 pm    

Awesome! Good job!
Things to keep on hand:
Strings, tuners, picks, cords, underwear......
You never know what's going to happen.
I love Don, but it is so hard to understand him on the phone. He speaks so quietly for those of us that have spent too much time on the stage.
Order some backups from Don, but you may get a faster response from PSG parts.
Here is the part you need.
https://www.psgparts.com/Ball-Joint-Quick-Connect-BJ.htm
You will need to call to ask if he has the 180 ball joints. The 90s can be modified to work as 180s, but maybe that's why the one you have broke?
If anything big comes up, I'm in Seattle and have a full machine and fab shop. If I can't mend it, I can probably make it.

Patrick.

Christopher Peck

Seattle
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 7:41 pm    

Patrick Timmins wrote:
Awesome! Good job!
Things to keep on hand:
Strings, tuners, picks, cords, underwear......
You never know what's going to happen.
I love Don, but it is so hard to understand him on the phone. He speaks so quietly for those of us that have spent too much time on the stage.
Order some backups from Don, but you may get a faster response from PSG parts.
Here is the part you need.
https://www.psgparts.com/Ball-Joint-Quick-Connect-BJ.htm
You will need to call to ask if he has the 180 ball joints. The 90s can be modified to work as 180s, but maybe that's why the one you have broke?
If anything big comes up, I'm in Seattle and have a full machine and fab shop. If I can't mend it, I can probably make it.

Patrick.

Thanks so much!
I appreciate the heads up on Don being soft spoken on the phone. I do indeed have some difficulty with that after gigging since 1983... A friend gave me a birthday gift of a nice set of Sennheiser earphones that pair with my phone that really make it easier to hear. I guess she got tired of "what??" all the time...

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 4:53 am    

Yup, having spare parts is actually a requirement for me. Parts that are known to break or wear out, you should have spares. I have several spares for my Carter. The problem in the steel guitar world is, you never know when z builder is going to stop building guitars. Some retire, go out of business, or die. Parts for those guitars are more difficult to find.

Christopher Peck

Seattle
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 5:51 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Yup, having spare parts is actually a requirement for me. Parts that are known to break or wear out, you should have spares. I have several spares for my Carter. The problem in the steel guitar world is, you never know when z builder is going to stop building guitars. Some retire, go out of business, or die. Parts for those guitars are more difficult to find.

That's the plan. While I have machining experience I'd much rather have a stock of things that tend to wear out.

What extra parts do you keep on hand?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 1:33 pm    

Christopher Peck wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:

That's the plan. While I have machining experience I'd much rather have a stock of things that tend to wear out.

What extra parts do you keep on hand?

For my Carter, I have:

Extra brass pull pins, the ones that wear down and break. I've broken 3, 2 on gigs.

Extra bell cranks

Extra return springs. Have had to replace 3 so far. One was to replace the spring on the half stop finger that I cut 2 loops off to increase tension at the half step lower. 2 loops made it too hard to push to the full tone stop.

Extra nylon tuners

Extra springs (stronger than the originals) that go under the pickups. I installed Bill Lawrence pickups, and the base plates are too big for the pickup cavity, and required a Dremel to grind the plate flush with the pickup housing on the ends. Still tight and if you put any pressure on the pickup, it would push it down and stick there. The stronger springs overcome that.

Extra ball joint connectors.

Many of these parts are strictly for a Carter and mods I have made.

Pretty much any parts you might break, or wear out. BMI could recommend what you might want to keep. I've never had the pleasure of playing or working on a BMI.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 10:36 am    

Here is a suggestion for getting BMI parts - Call or email Dan Burnham at GFI. Tell him what you want and he will send you an invoice - send it in with a check. Don is a great guy, and easy to talk with. Dan is the sales guy for BMI. I recommend calling either of them after about 3:30 to 4:00, Central Time.

Christopher Peck

Seattle
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2021 6:44 pm    

thanks for the thoughts and advice everyone