The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  p2pAmps 1x12 Bad-Dawg
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 10:23 am    

This is the latest build here in the shop. She is sounding great and headed for MI. Thought I would share for us tube amp geeks Smile

Cheers!

Mike

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 4:56 am    

Mike, that's the cleanest most pristine layout of any amp I've ever seen. Your craftsmanship is beyond skillful. It's a joy to see something so neat and well planned. You rock the amp world.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 6:29 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Mike, that's the cleanest most pristine layout of any amp I've ever seen. Your craftsmanship is beyond skillful. It's a joy to see something so neat and well planned. You rock the amp world.

Thanks so much Mr Larry, I appreciate your kind words.

Cheers!

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 10:36 am     Re: p2pAmps 1x12 Bad-Dawg

[quote="Mike Scaggs"]This is the latest build here in the shop. She is sounding great and headed for MI. Thought I would share for us tube amp geeks Smile

Cheers!

Mike

Nice looking amp, Mike.
Is there a list of models that you offer, along with prices and specs? I went to the p2p website and it’s mostly gut shot pictures.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 11:49 am    

Nice amp.

Your name 'P2P' implies 'point-to-point'... a la old-tyme amps (and Trainwreck). Your amps, of course, are turreted/riveted. Just being pedantic here.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 12:22 pm    

Stephen Cowell wrote:
Nice amp.

Your name 'P2P' implies 'point-to-point'... a la old-tyme amps (and Trainwreck). Your amps, of course, are turreted/riveted. Just being pedantic here.

Thank you for your clarification, however, depending on who you talk to there are different opinions on what point-to-point really is. I don't have an opinion myself, I build what I think is a great amp that sounds great and is very reliable and strong. FWIW, I build turrets, eyelets, straight p2p, and PCBs.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 12:24 pm     Re: p2pAmps 1x12 Bad-Dawg

[quote="Matt Waldrum"]
Mike Scaggs wrote:
This is the latest build here in the shop. She is sounding great and headed for MI. Thought I would share for us tube amp geeks Smile

Cheers!

Mike

Nice looking amp, Mike.
Is there a list of models that you offer, along with prices and specs? I went to the p2p website and it’s mostly gut shot pictures.

Each amp is a custom build so it depends on what exactly you are after. I do not build a widget so prices do vary. Labor is always fixed plus parts costs. If you have something in mind please email me and I will give you a detailed price breakdown with the cost of each and every part. Thanks

You can see some completed amps here. I don't have everything I have built here as there are many. enjoy
http://www.p2pamps.com/p2p-happy-customers

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 12:52 pm    

Well, they’re definitely not point to point amps but they look really nice.
Those Miflex coupling caps are very sexy, I’ll bet they sound great…they better, considering what they cost!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 1:16 pm    

Turrets/Eyelet board construction is repeatable. I know as I can promise you I have built many amps in all kinda of different methods.

If you develop a good layout method with turret/eyelet boards, you can repeat that method in each project. This means that projects tend to be very successful. Some of the true p2p amps I have repaired are a complete nightmare. One of the best true point to point circuits I have worked on are Matchless. However, repairing those takes a great deal of time and effort and in the end it doesn’t make them sound any better but it does look cool. In fact, I have seen a blindfold shootout with an orig Matchless and a clone built on a turret, couldn't tell em apart (truth).

As far as stray capacitance with turret/eyelet boards affecting tone. It is not an issue. You need to be aware of what you’re doing with the parts, but once you got it down, no problem.

I have heard some claim point to point does sound better, not true at all. It is the boutique amp builders that claim this and use it as a sales pitch.

Like I was saying, point to point is not very repeatable, can be very unpredictable, and can be less reliable because the parts have less support. Also, some true p2p amps are pretty noisy.

Turret/eyelet boards are mil spec. If you want the best, use turret/eyelet boards.

So far the Miflex caps are sounding pretty great. I have used Jensen PIO, Mallory 150s, you name it. Caps are very subjective to players ears and even more so to my hifi customers.

Lastly, I am not here to debate circuit design and get into a tech-fu debate Smile , I merely was showing an amp I just finished up. Very Happy

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 2:24 pm    

I’d take a turret board over point to point every day, way better for myriad reasons. Your amps look absolutely beautiful .

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 4:15 pm    

Cartwright Thompson wrote:
I’d take a turret board over point to point every day, way better for myriad reasons. Your amps look absolutely beautiful .

I agree with you 100%. I have built plenty of true point-to-point amps and they are just a pain in many ways. The coolness factor is there but I would personally give my customer the very best I know how to produce, I take it personal. If I thought a different method was better I would not hesitate one moment to change my builds. I strive to produce the highest quality builds I know how.

Cheers to you!

Mike

Lary Marshall

Green Oak Township, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 1:15 pm     Thanks for that Bad-Dawg

The amp above arrived safe and sound here in Michigan, and is completely blew me away. The best sound I've ever had by far. Thank you Mike for your skill and knowledge.
Just another tude geek.

Lary Marshall

Green Oak Township, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2021 1:19 pm     Fat fingers

The amp above arrived safe and sound here in Michigan, and *it* completely blew me away. The best sound I've ever had by far. Thank you Mike for your skill and knowledge.
Just another *tube* geek

Mike Bagwell

Greenville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2021 10:05 am    

Hi Lary,

What kind of speaker did you go with on this amp?

Thanks
Mike

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2021 4:35 am    

Mike Bagwell wrote:
Hi Lary,

What kind of speaker did you go with on this amp?

Thanks
Mike

I'll add - it's an Eminence EM12-N

Mike Bagwell

Greenville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 2:51 pm    

Thanks Mike,

Those are some beautiful amps you're making. The detail and layout are amazing.
I'm thinking I saw a one of your amps with a Wheelhouse speaker. I was curious if Lary's had installed one in his amp. Judging by the graph the Wheelhouse doesn't seem to have quite as much mid dip as some of the more popular speakers.

Mike

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 3:20 pm    

Mike Bagwell wrote:
Thanks Mike,

I'm thinking I saw a one of your amps with a Wheelhouse speaker. I was curious if Lary's had installed one in his amp. Judging by the graph the Wheelhouse doesn't seem to have quite as much mid dip as some of the more popular speakers.

Mike

Mike, MIKE, can tell you better, and I don't know how to read a graph Wink But I have Mike's 2-12 p2p with Wheelhouse's in it and it sounds fantastic.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 3:21 pm    

Mike Bagwell wrote:
Thanks Mike,

Mike

Thank you so much. Lary's amp has an Eminence EM12N which is a great steel speaker. The Wheelhouse is great too and geared more for steel and guitar both. Its nice for both.

Mike