The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My try over JW’s Delaware Drive
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 6:46 am    

I started the project of figure out by ear the great record from Jeremy Wakefield, Steel
Guitar Caviar.

This is my first try of the first song, you have to start somewhere! I probably make lots of mistakes but it’s a very fun way to learn. It seems impossible to me at first but I found out that you just have to put the time and have fun.

Any comments and help if you find wrong notes or position would be very welcome!

Jeremy Wakefield used a little different tuning than me so I have to play some notes at different places. He have a high G and a high B in is tuning. I use C13 with high E.

https://youtu.be/nG95dIPI23g

https://open.spotify.com/track/1UAY9Ij8UhE59NSKSfkzTH?si=ePZT60j5RpmjYQJfWKPzWw

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 8:10 am    

Well done Jean-Sebastien! You have set some lofty goals for your playing - good for you. The new Clinesmith sounds and looks fantastic!

Danny Roy

Calgary Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 9:27 am    

That’s great, Jean-Sebastien!
Amazing album. I started lifting Dark Circles least week and it’s so much fun. I’m using a C6/A7, so I also can’t hit all the same notes/positions as he does, but I’m pretty close. That’s what personal style and improvisation are for Smile I think I have every album he’s played on and they are a constant source of inspiration.

Bravo monsieur!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 9:59 am    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
Well done Jean-Sebastien! You have set some lofty goals for your playing - good for you. The new Clinesmith sounds and looks fantastic!

Thanks! Yes I love that Clinesmith!!! The tone in person is amazing!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 10:00 am    

Danny Roy wrote:
That’s great, Jean-Sebastien!
Amazing album. I started lifting Dark Circles least week and it’s so much fun. I’m using a C6/A7, so I also can’t hit all the same notes/positions as he does, but I’m pretty close. That’s what personal style and improvisation are for Smile I think I have every album he’s played on and they are a constant source of inspiration.

Bravo monsieur!

Nice! Post a video if you will, we can compare our versions!

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 10:08 am    

Nice job, man!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 10:24 am    

Ethan Shaw wrote:
Nice job, man!

Thanks!

Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 7:11 pm    

Great stuff! You have that main part down, (first part of the melody) that's not easy! Works well in your tuning I think.

Btw I just got a Clinesmith too! Once I get a bit more used to the narrower string spacing (was playing a Gibson with very wide spacing), I will post some stuff too.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 2:12 am    

Nicely done! Not an easy tune and that black Clinesmith is so cool.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 5:19 am    

Daniel Baston wrote:
Great stuff! You have that main part down, (first part of the melody) that's not easy! Works well in your tuning I think.

Btw I just got a Clinesmith too! Once I get a bit more used to the narrower string spacing (was playing a Gibson with very wide spacing), I will post some stuff too.

Great! And if you end up selling that Clinesmith please let me know first! This one have to stay in Canada!!!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 5:39 am    

Nice job, Jean-Sebastien.

I know this is unsolicited advice but would you be interested in trying to play it another way?

If you listen closely to the record, you can hear the open E string ring. Give this a try and see if it helps make things a little smoother and easier to pick (less staccato).

Tab:

E---------------------------3----0----------------0----3----0--------------------
C-----5-----5---- 5-----5-----5-------5-------------5-----5------5-------5------
A---5------5-----5-----5-----------5------------5-------------5-------------------
G-5------5------5-----5------------------4- 4----------------------3--3-----4-4-

For anyone playing C13 with a high G, this is how I think Jeremy played it
Tab:

G---------------------------0--------------------------0----------------------
E--------------------------------0----------------0---------0--------------------
C-----5-----5---- 5-----5-----5-------5-------------5-----5------5-------5------
A---5------5-----5-----5-----------5------------5-------------5-------------------
G-5------5------5-----5------------------4- 4----------------------3--3-----4-4-

Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 6:56 am    

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier wrote:
Great! And if you end up selling that Clinesmith please let me know first! This one have to stay in Canada!!!

Ha! Yes we need more of these around here! The more I play it, the more I love it (I know you understand that!).

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 7:36 am    

Hey Mike! Im really happy you chime in, it is really solicitaded!

Yes I hear that open E to and use it, Im also sure he use the open G too but dont have it.

The 5th fret position is the first I tried but for some reason I switched to the first 2 frets positions.I will try that 5th fret position again tonight and let you know how I like it or if I think its what JW used.

Thats exactly what I was hoping, a discussion of why we think its been played that way or another. In my dream we would be a couple of JW fans trying to figure out this album and share what we find.

Im also start doing it with the Barney Isaac playing with the New Hawaiian Band.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 7:37 am    

Daniel Baston wrote:
Ha! Yes we need more of these around here! The more I play it, the more I love it (I know you understand that!).

Sure do man!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 8:13 am    

The use of out-of-position open strings in steel guitar melodies is a crucial part of part of nonpedal playing since back to the days of Sol Hoopii (who mastered it) and maybe even before.
What I mean by out of position is when you are fretting at let's say the 5th fret, as in this tune's example, and you need a note that when it's played with the bar interrupts the flow or articulation of the line. An open string can provide a really nice bridge between notes that makes a line seamless.

Whenever you are transcribing something and you get to a place where no matter what you do, you can't get the flow and articulation right, listen carefully to the source for any examples of open strings. If you are sure of the tuning, it should be easy to pick them out. I always think of Wes Montgomery when he was trying to learn Charlie Christian solos. He said, "He had 5 fingers on each hand and I have 5 fingers on each hand, so I should be able to play it." When it gets to the point where everything I try is not working, I dig deeper. This has helped many times in getting Sol Hoopii and other difficult solos together. The goal is to always make it sound as easy and smooth as possible, no matter how difficult it may be.

Einar Baldursson

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 10:01 am    

I like it! I always loved that album, especially Dark Circles, and remember trying to pick up some things from it some years ago but stumbling a bit. Might have a go at it again one of these days.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 10:47 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
The use of out-of-position open strings in steel guitar melodies is a crucial part of part of nonpedal playing since back to the days of Sol Hoopii (who mastered it) and maybe even before.
What I mean by out of position is when you are fretting at let's say the 5th fret, as in this tune's example, and you need a note that when it's played with the bar interrupts the flow or articulation of the line. An open string can provide a really nice bridge between notes that makes a line seamless.

Great concept! I known I will learn stuff with you guys in this tread!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 10:48 am    

Einar Baldursson wrote:
I like it! I always loved that album, especially Dark Circles, and remember trying to pick up some things from it some years ago but stumbling a bit. Might have a go at it again one of these days.

Lets go!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 12:34 pm    

Hey Mike I tried it and yes it’s smoother and easier at 5th frets with the open E! It’s funny it remind me when I was playing bluegrass dobro! It’s a technic, the out of position open strings, that I worked hard to make it natural and was using a lot and just have forget about it! Now I have this technic back! Always great to have more options.

Thanks a lot Mike!

Cody Farwell

Sunland, CA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 4:10 pm    

gahhhh that Clinesmith is gorgeous.
Great tone. What are you playing it through?

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 6:27 pm    

Thanks! I used an Ampeg Jet 12 1961!

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 1:18 am    

Beautiful looking steel and fabulous tone Jean-Sebastien! Jeremy Wakefield is not for the faint hearted. Tough stuff and I can see you are enjoying playing this music!
Mike.

Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 5:02 am    

Thanks for starting this thread Jean-Sebastien! I was thinking, this is what is great about this forum. It is so nice to have a place to dig into this stuff. Keep us updated!

Also, I attempted the first part of this melody last night and Mike's tip with the open strings really got me to thinking about that concept. Again, this is why this place is great. Thanks everyone!