The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Larry "Wimpy" Sasser
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 6:37 am    

So sad to hear & read of this.
I loved seeing him on TV playing &
he was always smiling & laughing.
My condolences to his family & friends.
RIP - Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 2:15 pm    

Sorry to hear that Larry had passed, the World has lost another great person, musician and Steel Guitar picker, Larry will not be forgotten, RIP, Condolence for the Family, Shorty

Marlin Gengenbach

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 2:50 pm     Wimpy

While health had been an issue over the years, Wimpy also rebounded, an played better than ever! Loved the way he may that beautiful instrument sound. May he rest in peace!

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 5:52 pm    

Sorry to hear this. Larry was one of the first steel players I met when I started playing in the late 90s. He was always very supportive and a very kind person.

Ken Mullett

Bremen, Indiana, USA and Sarasota, FL
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 6:09 pm    

Our condolences to the Sasser family.Larry was very talented and a super nice guy. 😢🙏🏼

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 6:23 am    

Larry Sasser was inducted into th3 Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2011. He, as well as his wife Evelyn, were the nicest people we knew. REO Larry.

Bruce Zumsteg

Harrisonville, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 6:37 am    

So sorry to hear of the passing of one of the greatest guys I ever knew. Larry and I became pretty close in the last 20 years or so. He was a guest in our home back in the early 2000's. We emailed and phoned each other on a regular basis and shared many stories of the golden years of steel guitar. Dorene and I send our deepest condolences to Evelyn and the family.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 9:05 am    

So sad to lose another icon of the Steel Guitar World.

RIP, Larry

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 9:29 pm    

We have lost a very fine gentleman AND excellent steel guitarist. Very sad!! Here are some memories I have of Larry.

RIP Larry

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 9:51 pm    

It is with heavy heart to write this. Larry was the most kind and encouraging for my move to Nashville all those years ago. I learned so much from Larry on how to behave and perform on TV. Larry was a master of team member and had the just right attributes. We are so thankful to have visited and participate in Larry’s interview at Paul Franklin’s Steel Guitar camp in August 2021. Until we meet again, RIP hero and beloved friend.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 10:01 am    

Church services tomorrow, wake tonight for Larry:

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2390552480799/larry-wayne-sasser

Frank Speights

Jackson, Ga USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 4:24 pm    

I was shocked to here of Larry's passing. I always enjoyed seeing him and enjoyed hearing him play. I remember the last time I say him(Feb 20 at a show at the VFW in Conyers). He told a story about what Hal Rugg and Weldon Myrick did to him one night on they stage of the Grand Ole Opry. They put a Sho-Bud fret board under the strings of his Emmons and the switched the cables on his volume pedal. I will miss seeing and talking to him. My thoughts and prayers are extended to his family.

Bill Nicholson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 5:11 pm    

Larry was an exceptional "Nashville" professional steel guitar player. I only got to know him after his medical retirement back to the Conyers (Atlanta) Ga area. To his credit, he always treated us local Georgia SG players (and other musicians) with much more respect of our musical abilities than most of us deserved.
RIP my friend.

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2021 7:56 am    

very sad news. He was one of my favorite players. His playing was pure country.I only met him once in St. louis where he was very nice to me.. He took the time to chat and take a picture. Thoughts and Prayers to his family.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2021 10:45 am    

I only met Wimpy a couple of months ago at Billy Knowles' shop. We went out to lunch. He was struggling to get around but it didn't dampen his enthusiasm and sense of humor. He entertained us with his wit and road stories. When we parted company I felt I had known him for years. Prayers for his family and everyone that loved him. R.I.P. trouper.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2021 5:58 am    

Frank Speights, Larry told me that story as well a few years back. He was wondering how the heck he didn't notice the different brand fret board, which either due to the scale difference or its placement on the neck, threw him off. He said he went to play and it was way out of tune while up on stage playing with the band on the Opry stage. He said it so threw him so, he checked his guitar tuning in the middle of the song. He went to play again and it was so bad that he pulled back on his volume pedal which just pinned the volume. The way Larry told the story, you felt what he must have felt. Can you imagine? Such a fun loving, sweet guy. So very sad.

This is a great show at the 1990 ISGC event with Larry and the Nashville Now band posted by Bill Ferguson. Really great to watch Larry back in his hay day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KOFRmL_WEA&list=PLOA7xoCGfZ8w-5sfG1zpWFedDKZojGqav&index=8

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 7:18 am    

I had the good fortune to meet and speak with Larry and JayDee briefly this last August. As many have attested here, he had an easy way about him that was reflected in something he said to me. I forget exactly what my (one of many) questions was about technique, approach- the usual stuff you ask the masters when you're lucky enough to meet one, but his response was something to the effect of "after awhile you get to where everything flows, and its almost like you're just there observing". That said about all I needed to know about him. I'd known him less than 5 minutes, and he imparted what may well be the most sage advice I've gotten pertaining to pedal steel guitar.

RIP, Mr. Sasser.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 10:23 am     Sorry News about one of my heroes of Pedal Steel

VERY SORRY NEWS-- ONE OF MY HEROES OF PEDAL STEEL
Yes, indeed this is very sad news to hear of Larry's death. I never met nor knew him personally, but he was a great inspiration to me to hear his playing.

I loved his technique and style and there are a number of melodies that will forever cling to my mind and ring deep into my soul; thank you Wimpy for that.

He was a classic player and the angels above will learn much from him; perhaps they will have to improve their own playing.

James Taylor Rosehearty Scotland

Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 11:13 am    

Here’s Larry, picking on a new blue Mullen at the Music Store in DeBary FL
I wanna say mid 90’s.

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)

Bob Simmons

Trafford, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 8:31 pm     rip

oh my,rip to another bud

Doug Berry

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 9:55 am     Rip Larry "Wimpy" Sasser

Sorry to see we lost yet another great player.