The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Back To My Old National Fingerpicks
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 10 May 2020 2:16 pm    

This afternoon I ran across my stash of fingerpicks and saw my old Nationals. I've had them since the 1970s. Two pairs. I remember spending so much time adjusting the bands to fit my skinny fingers and even more time adjusting the blades to get them just right. I used them for years, until I started trying other picks.

I struggled with various sizes and gauges of Dunlops and never was satisfied with any of them.

Then I ran across Pro Picks, with the angled blades and loved them. I had two issues with Pro Picks. The band seems to be just wide enough to touch the next string up if I'm not careful. I'm mostly a pick blocker and depend on the back of my nail to touch the next string up when necessary, not the band on the pick. I worked around that, but have to be careful. The other issue is keeping them snug on my skinny fingers. They are very smooth and slick. (Yeah, spit works fine for that!)

Well, I pulled out the old Nationals and put them on my fingers. Ah. Like a pair of old comfortable shoes. They fit perfectly. They don't slide off. The angles are just right. The band is slimmer, so no clanking on the next string up.

They feel so good and comfortable, and sound great.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 9:41 am    

Nice, Lee.

I took a similar journey through those other brands and arrived at the same place you did. Well, almost the same -- I don't have vintage Nationals, but a verrry good copy in Hoffmeyers. The larger band on other styles of picks is a problem for my skinny fingers how I hold my hand; they occasionally snag the next higher string.

I keep auditioning other picks, even ones I've rejected in the past, but always come back to the National style. For a new, inexpensive pick, NP-2's rock. But I would love to have some vintage Nationals like you're using.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 11:07 am     Me too....

I also like the Nationals best after trying just about every other kind.
At first I didn't like the way they pinched until I got them adjusted right.
They still hurt a littler until your fingers get used to them.
The best thing is they stay on your fingers. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 May 2020 11:47 am    

Lee, this is a revelation!

When I started playing I tried various picks until I fixed on Nationals - about four years ago, I guess.

I've just realised that I haven't given picks a second thought since Smile

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 5:11 am    

Some of those vintage Nationals (that have Patent Number but don't say "USA" on them) are getting pretty expensive but I see them for sale on banjo forum. There's also sellers on reverb, claiming they're selling Oval 8's but they're trying to sell $20 picks for $150

http://www.deanhoffmeyer.com/nationalpicks/frameset.htm

Last edited by Gene Tani on 15 May 2020 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 12 May 2020 6:27 am    

I bought a used banjo back in the 60’s that had five National’s in the case USA’s and non USA’s, fortunately I had them out of the case when the banjo was stolen in 1970 so I still have them and use them for PSG and banjo. I use .025 brass Dunlops for dobro. The non USA’ s, USA’s and NP-2’s are all interchangeable and great. My non USA’s are post WWII.

Jim Goins

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2020 2:27 pm     national picks

I still have some old national picks I bought about 1974, still use them, also use Dunlop .018 and .022 for psg and Dobro. I use a compound called Sticku Picks for the lighter guage picks it holds them on really good also helps hold the bar. I think it was invented by PSG player Wayne Hobbs, I order it from Bob Hempker at steel guitars of Nashville.
Jim.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2020 5:49 pm    

If anyone wants to part with a pair of old Nationals I’d pay you fairly for them. Even just one, if you have an extra.
I have a set that I bought for playing dobro in the 80’s. Nothing I try works as well. The JF and NP2 are closest.
John

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 May 2020 9:36 pm    

I was of course talking about modern NP2s, not any vintage stuff, but they still have something about them that feels right.

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 16 May 2020 2:22 pm    

Thank goodness I purchased several sets of Nationals I purchased many years ago and most have never been worn. That's the only pick have ever used. Can't compare to other brands since I never tried them.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 7:22 pm    

Something I have noticed about my National fingerpicks are the flat blades. When I say flat, I mean left to right, from one side of the finger to the other. The blades curve out and up, following the curve of my fingertips; but, they are fairly flat, left to right, where they strike the string.

I really like the tone of the string with the flat blade striking the string squarely. The hand needs to be positioned properly for that to happen. If my right elbow starts moving out, my hand rotates and then only the edge of the blade strikes the string.

I have no idea if these Nationals came this way or if I flattened them out years ago.

On my ProPik Reso picks, the blades are curved a bit, left to right, and are a bit more forgiving, if my elbow decides to move in or out.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 9:31 pm    

I have new National picks in the Forum Catalog now. www.steelguitarshopper.com/national-steel-fingerpicks

Nationals hold their shape and seem to last forever. I used one set for well over a decade. They still feel really comfortable.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 5:21 am    

Apparently, in the b@njo world, the curved blades are referred to as being spoon shaped, such as this statement I found:

"They are not flat. The blade is curved around the long axis (side to side), as well as the short axis (base to tip). Spoon shaped, as they say."

I found other references to spoon shaped blades.

Dennis Rehrig

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2021 3:48 pm     national picks

I JUST RECEIVED MINE YESTERDAY FROM STEEL GUITAR FORUM
THEY FEEL AND SOUND GREAT.

Mark Fasbender

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2021 11:18 pm    

My experience with Nationals and pro picks is virtually identical to yours. The pro pics tend to snag on adjacent strings. I started using pro pics when I was playing a really heavy schedule with a couple of live bands and a theater show and my fingers were just sore a few months ago I went back to the Nationals. They have a denser sweeter tone as well