The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Removing a pull rod from a Justice S10 JR
Andrew OMelveny

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 6:23 pm    

I've never attempted to mess with my guitar before, but I'm trying to remove a pull rod. So far I have loosened and taken off the nylon cover. I am trying to pull out the rod from the bell crank, but it is not coming out and I am concerned I will damage something... Is there another step I am missing or do I just need to use more force? Thanks!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 8:03 pm    

Not familiar with that model. Can you show any pictures? What are you wanting to do to your guitar? RP

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2021 11:27 pm    

From the Justice web site they show a clip of some sort holding the pull rod in the bell crank. The clip or however the rod is attached to the bell crank, Will need to be removed and the rod taken out of Bell Crank hole. If the rod has an L bent on end to go in bell crank, The rod should be pulled out by the bell crank end. from under the guitar. The L could damage the pull lever in the changer if pulled out the right end of the steel.
Be careful and Good Luck in this project.

Andrew OMelveny

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 1:13 pm    

Ron Pruter wrote:
Not familiar with that model. Can you show any pictures? What are you wanting to do to your guitar? RP

Basically I want my C pedal to only only raise the 4th string, so I want to take off the rod raising the 5th string. It’s underneath a rod going to the A pedal so it looks a little tricky. Is there a trick to getting these clips off? I’d like to be able to put it back to it’s original condition at some point, so I don’t want to damage anything.

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 1:42 pm    

Andrew,

I've been under the Pro-Lite alot with the same of the undercarriage as your guitar.

What I find works well is a small flat blade screwdriver to pry between the bellcrank that the black clip. The rod should pull out the other side without much effort. If needed a small pry with the 'driver between the rod and the bellcrank.

Andrew OMelveny

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 2:00 pm    

Benjamin Davidson wrote:
Andrew,

I've been under the Pro-Lite alot with the same of the undercarriage as your guitar.

What I find works well is a small flat blade screwdriver to pry between the bellcrank that the black clip. The rod should pull out the other side without much effort. If needed a small pry with the 'driver between the rod and the bellcrank.

Thank you, I appreciate it! I'll try it out

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 3:26 pm    

Look like what we call speed nuts in the auto repair industry. They push on easy, but sometimes a needle nose plier to release the tension along with the screwdriver blade.

They will break if you get too rough with them so....

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 3:29 pm    

That looks like a pinch clip. If squeezed flat with a needle nose pliers it should come off without much trouble.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2021 7:15 pm    

Those clips sometimes break in the process of removing. I would suggest if you have a handy Ace Hardware, NAPA or other auto supply get a few extra clips. That way if a clip breaks, Your guitar will not be down and unplayable. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2021 6:15 am    

Andrew OMelveny wrote:

Basically I want my C pedal to only only raise the 4th string, so I want to take off the rod raising the 5th string. It’s underneath a rod going to the A pedal so it looks a little tricky. Is there a trick to getting these clips off? I’d like to be able to put it back to it’s original condition at some point, so I don’t want to damage anything.

So if you don't have an alternate use planned for the rod.....and may even want to hook it back up again, why not leave it connected but back off the nylon tuner at the changer? That's much simpler than removing the rod, and simple to reverse.

Andrew OMelveny

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 7:58 am    

Tommy Mc wrote:
Andrew OMelveny wrote:

So if you don't have an alternate use planned for the rod.....and may even want to hook it back up again, why not leave it connected but back off the nylon tuner at the changer? That's much simpler than removing the rod, and simple to reverse.

Ah thank you!

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2021 11:23 am    

That's sound advice Tommy. God bless you all.